Twitter Facebook YouTube

2010 Shows

(Original Air Date: 11/17/09) What possesses a child to light a classmate on fire over a video game? When a young girl is brutally gang-raped, why do onlookers fail to intervene or call police? As a parent, would you ever think that your child could be capable of such horrific acts? How much responsibility falls on parents and teachers when children act out? Dr. Phil hears a firsthand account from people close to the case of the 15-year-old girl in Richmond, California, who was allegedly robbed, stripped, beaten and gang-raped while witnesses reportedly jeered and took cell phone photos. Hear from a reporter covering this story, the girl who called 911, a teacher and a defense attorney for one of the accused. Then, Glenda says she’s terrified that her 10-year-old grandson is going to be the next Jeffrey Dahmer. She says the boy is extremely angry and violent and has killed multiple family pets. What is going on with this boy, and can his behavior be reformed?

Find out what happened on the show.
Comments
Replied By: shirola on Jun 8, 2010, 9:48AM - In reply to here2helpkidds
A comment for  "here2helpkidds".  Removing animals from imminent danger in NO way precludes giving the child the help he needs.  (He is getting help, and society is grateful).  That was simply an obvious, critical first step that shouldn't even have to be pointed out.  Unfortunately it does, since there are people out there who evidently can't acknowledge and address multiple priorities.

Replied By: sonofthemummy on Jun 8, 2010, 9:34AM - In reply to gaskinj8
I would not try to label a ten year old as a sociopath.  Any child who is that intelligent will always have something to offer.  I might show him a few episodes of Criminal Minds and ask him if that was how he wanted to end up.  Of course, since he can never be as off the radar as a serial killer, such a life is no longer an option.  But, I think that if he were to see depictions of how horrible a spoiled or self indulgent psyche can devolve, his natural intelligence might help him to adapt in a benign manner.

Replied By: sonofthemummy on Jun 8, 2010, 9:29AM
Hi;

I was reminded from the scene in The Last Emperor, where a frustrated Pu Yi threw his pet mouse against a door and killed it.  I think that, reading between the lines, Dr. Phil may have suggested that part of the problem with the violent but charming 10 year old was that his caregivers had demonized him with careless comments.  Yet, I do see one advantage to the boy subscribing to the idea of temporary demonic obsession:  it allows him to distance himself from these urges and to disown them, at some point.  In the applied anthropology of ritual magical practices, square one is learning impulse control, and this utilizes the very effective metaphor of banishing unwanted spirits from the psyche of the shaman, rejecting insinuated antisocial protocols and imperatives.

Another pressure on gifted young men that I have observed in the teenage soldiers of fortune that haunt the streets of New Orleans was a lack of firm friendship with older males who had a wholesome agenda.  Living by their ability to charm dirty old men  can lead to a sort of trust gap, it seems.  When a boy grows up with only mom and grandma trying to format his psyche to their preferences, the psychological pressures can become so immense that it results in running away and other even more dangerous coping mechanisms.  Once we are sure that heavy metals are not to blame, I recommend some kind of honorable mentorship with someone who actually empathizes with the questions and quests building in the healthier areas of this boy's personality, and whose experience has prepared him to give useful coping advice and not just moral barriers.

Also, I had one friend who had been molested when he was five.  Since he had an IQ of 130, I asked him about the impact of this.  He said that the molestation seemed no big deal, as he turned the guy in after they had a disagreement about playing with toy cars (the molester had reneged).  He said the real confusion came when his devout Catholic parents panicked and took him to numerous group therapies where he was not only sprayed down with guilt on a regular basis, but was introduced to a whole host of dysfunctional and unlawful strategies and tactics by the other kids in the group who were intimate with the ways of the streets.  He was from Los Angeles, and eventually got himself killed by facing down a drug dealer, if the rumors were correct.  What a waste.  He was one of my favorite friends, as I never heard him speak an angry or negative word about anyone.

Best wishes,

Bob

Replied By: yoshiyoshi on Jun 8, 2010, 9:16AM - In reply to binarykat
It seems some mothers, reaction to everything is making big wide eyes, and looking as if they're about to burst into tears. I don't know where this defense mechanism became popular, but I wish women would stop doing it. Playing into the notion that we're like children, and will go into an emotional meltdown the moment we hear our child isn't perfect, makes all women look bad.

I think that's how Melanie and Grandma behaved, and when they realized Dr. Phil wouldn't stop when they made they're "I-I-I'm going to cry!" faces, they had to face the reality they were trying to hide from.

Replied By: yoshiyoshi on Jun 8, 2010, 9:13AM - In reply to ziggy2009
Sorry, as far as I'm concerned, that boy lost his right to compassion after his first animal murder.

Replied By: yoshiyoshi on Jun 8, 2010, 9:08AM - In reply to ginger2009
There's another film called Orphan about this concept. There's a reveal though, that well, it's not exactly a kid they adopted. I don't want to give anymore away, as I'm already bordering on spoilers.

Replied By: yoshiyoshi on Jun 8, 2010, 9:06AM - In reply to wonderpets
Couldn't agree with you more.

Replied By: yoshiyoshi on Jun 8, 2010, 9:05AM - In reply to missmarni
I couldn't agree with you more, and the way the son talks about harming the animals, saying he knows it's wrong but he can't stop doing it. Sounds very much like how Jeffery Dahmer talked about his victims, and believe me his parents wish that someone would've told them something was wrong, so they could've gotten Jeff help. I've seen a interview with the parents, and it's the saddest thing.

These parents have the chance Jeffery's parent's didn't, they should take it before they end up mourning that their son has a list of victims.

Replied By: yoshiyoshi on Jun 8, 2010, 9:02AM - In reply to ksweetpgi
I think PETA should be protesting at these parents' front door over this. What would they think, if their child was the new poster boy for animal abuse?

Replied By: yoshiyoshi on Jun 8, 2010, 9:01AM - In reply to mmadura
I'm wondering, do you like horror films? There's a film called Martyrs that has a very interesting take on the idea of "The Other Side", but there is a lot of gore and violence in it. If you can look past the gore and violence, I think you'd find it a very interesting film.

Showing 21-30 of total 251 Comments