Twitter Facebook YouTube

2010 Shows

(Original Air Date: 11/20/09) From cell phones ringing in the movies, to people texting during dinner to obnoxious drivers, society’s lack of civility is astounding. Dr. Phil shines a spotlight on rude people, and some are even sitting in his audience! Then, Amy Alkon, author of I See Rude People, reveals how to deal with bad manners. If you’re the offender, learn how to overcome a rude attitude. And, Robert says he made a waitress cry for mixing up his order, and he told a buddy’s new girlfriend that she wouldn’t be around for long. Is Robert doomed to be crude for the rest of his life? See what happens when Dr. Phil puts him to the test! Plus, Anne says she’s tired of her sister, Kimberly, constantly interrupting others. Kimberly says she always has something important to say, and she doesn’t feel the need to change. Can Dr. Phil give her a wake-up call? Speak out!

Find out what happened on the show.
Comments
Replied By: lifelock on Jul 4, 2014, 6:16PM - In reply to ajaman
My fiance' and I recently went to see the fireworks with some friends. Our friends brought thieir 20 year old daughter and her son along and her daughter brought her female supervisor along. We had not sat down for five minutes and the supervisor was up and down bending over with her very ,very short dress so all could see almost everything. There were two men one row behind us that were almost drooling into their shoes. I was trying to get one of me freinds attention and every tiinme I looked over there the supervisor was exposing all again. I didn't say anything but she saw me looking at her once. She apparently said something to my friend and told her how uncomfortable she felt because of the look I gave her. Really ???????? Did she not feel the breeze below everytime she bent over? I went to watch the fireworks not the show she put on and yet now my friend is upset with me because I made her daughters supervisor feel uncomfortable......not a concern for anyone else that she may make someone feel uncomfortable by exposing her behind for all to see. Who is in the wrong here? I know for a fact that if I were to do this same thing I would have never heard the end of it.

Second Incicent: I had asked a lady very politely and discreetly at a summer barbeque one time to pull her pants up after she sat down because as we all sat down to eat. I looked up once and all I saw was this lady's crack of her butt and I mean all of it. I almost choked on my food ! She clearly didn't have underwear on and the top of her jeans barely hit the bench she was sitting. It looked as though she didn't have any pants on!!! Apparently, this lady went to our hostess and was offended that I had went up to her and asked her to pull up her pants. Now, the hostess is upset with me because I offended her quest...What?????? Is  there something wrong with me? Did I miss some memo or something????

Replied By: haroldb1934 on Mar 23, 2010, 10:53AM - In reply to ajaman
3/23/2010

Ajaman,

I think they are taught in school that they can get away with anything.  They find that there are no consequences to their actions.  Whatever they do is ignored or brushed under the rug.  They seem to think rudeness is a virtue that shows their manhood or womanhood.  I believe they will be severely jerked around when they start to work as an adult.

haroldb 

Replied By: ajaman on Mar 23, 2010, 7:07AM - In reply to marybon
I was also raised as a Southerner and was taught to respect my elders and be kind and considerate to others.  We dressed neatly and appropriate for the occasion.

Frankly, I am offended by the 'hip hop" style of dressing worn by some of our young people as well as by some of our adults still trapped in "arrested development."  I cannot count the number of times I have been " visually assaulted" by exposed tattooed rear ends while doing something as innocuous as ordering a meal at  McDonald's or Wendy's.  While I am appalled , I am too frightened to voice my displeasure.  I have seen others cower in fear and run out of places by threatening imbeciles who could not believe that someone would be audacious enough to comment and be offended by their rudeness and inappropriate display of a rear end in an eating establishment filled with adults and impressionable young children (to include babies)!!!!

What happened to civility?  Phrases like "excuse me", "thank you" and simple gestures as allowing ladies and children to proceed first, looking someone in the eye when speaking or engaging in a conversation and modulating our voices in deference to those around us, seem to have gone by the way of the dinosaur.  When it comes to rudeness,  cell phone users in public places are the worst offenders!!

I think with the proliferation of reality TV and other acts of moral decline, boorish behavior has now become the norm.   With a steady diet of profanity, greed, and sexuality without consequences or commitment, we have become desensitized to the incivility that has permeated our society on all levels.

But, there is hope.  I still encounter polite people and total strangers have displayed acts of kindness especially when tragic situations have occurred here and abroad.  I just wish that we would work harder to be  more civil  and considerate of others in daily life.

Replied By: haroldb1934 on Mar 21, 2010, 4:01AM
In reply to the reply to haroldb on Rudeness and Robert.

Replied By: haroldb1934 on Mar 21, 2010, 4:01AM

3/21/2010

When people get grown, they are responsible for their actions. I have a great respect for our soldiers and the military. I think you have your wires crossed. When some big smart ass starts trouble with a Platoon in a Company at their own barracks, are you suggesting they smile and turn the other cheek? If some big dumb cluck who has been drinking thought he could whip a whole Platoon of soldiers and started it, he got exactly what he asked for. You do not harrass trained fighting men and especially at the place where they live. There was more to it. There were racial slurs interjected into it.

By the way, after I had time to think about my comments, I modified them. That better makes my position clear. They are as follows:

Robert, let me tell you what can happen to bullies like you. I believe that you said most people are stupid. First off, what you have to say is nothing more than your opinion. You most likely have never considered that. Read further for an attitude adjustment.

Next, let me tell you what happened when I was in the army except this man was bigger than either you or Dr. Phil. He and two of his buddies mistook our outfit for a National Guard outfit who was on the base for two weeks of training. He and his two buddies stopped in front of our barracks and were bad-mouthing our Platoon Sergeant who was on the second floor of the barracks. This went on for about 20 minutes. All of a sudden there were soldiers coming out from the front and the rear entrances to the barracks. Just that fast these three out-of-line soldiers were surrounded.

They were all big, but the two who were a bit smaller ran for their lives. So the biggest one decided he would take on or whip the whole Platoon. Brother, those soldiers in our outfit beat that jerk up so bad that he probably died. He couldn’t fall to the ground because every time he tried to fall one of the soldiers in our outfit would jerk him straight up by a knee under his falling head. This man was out cold. These men were still kicking him for a few times more. The soldiers in our outfit came on back in and left the jerkface unconscious on the ground. He didn’t move at all. His two buddies later came slipping back around to see what had happened to him. The two picked him up by his arms and legs and carried him off. In a few minutes some MP’s came around but there was no one in sight. They went on their way.

Now this jerk most likely had a broken nose, broken ribs, broken jaw, broken facial bones, broken teeth, internal injuries, cuts all over his head and a fractured skull. He might well have been dead. He didn’t move anymore at all. In the event that this man was revived at the base hospital, I would for sure bet that he had received a permanent attitude adjustment. So, Robert let that be one that you obviously have not considered. Just because you think you are bad simply means you have not had an ass-whupping of huge proportions that will get your attention. Since you are getting older now, some people probably see you as a jerk and let you make a fool of yourself rather than fool with you.

Some of us do not like bullies or your bullish attitude. You are doing it to put people down. For some reason in your past that makes you feel good. So, just keep it up my man, and you might some day find yourself either dead or severely injured like that jerk that took on or thought he could whip our Army Platoon. Now, that was stupid. Trained soldiers know how to fight. They do not play with your those in your world of fantacy where you think you are bigger than everyone else and can push them around. Size is not going to help you there. Would you do that? Is that you? Do you now feel you have a better understanding as to what stupid is?

haroldb

Replied By: jewelsf on Mar 20, 2010, 11:26PM - In reply to metil2day
What a terrible thing for your coworker to do. I had rude coworkers also. I had to have emergency surgery and was out of work for 2 months, I actually had to have 2 surgeries. I never received any flowers (after having donated no telling how many hundreds over the years for others with bee stings) and not one coworker visited me while in the hospital. I soon found out why after I returned to work. I was chewed out by my boss, she spoke for the entire group, for placing a larger workload on them while I was gone. Needless to say that it was my boss's job to get a temp for me while I was gone, not to hold my ill health against me. I left my job shortly after!

Replied By: jewelsf on Mar 20, 2010, 11:21PM - In reply to haroldb1934
I've always given our men in the military the respect I 'thought' they deserved until I read your post. Simply shameful! You're proud to share this story? Where it took an entire platoon to beat a man within an inch of his life? You had so many options to humiliate this man yet you chose to beat him instead.

Replied By: haroldb1934 on Mar 20, 2010, 4:06PM
Robert,

To be sure that I have the names right, Robert was the one who essentially couldn’t or wouldn’t get along with anyone. He was just a bit smaller than Dr. Phil. He has a mustache.

Robert, let me tell you what can happen to bullies like you. I believe that you said most people are stupid. First off, what you have to say is nothing more than your opinion. You most likely have never considered that. Read further for an attitude adjustment.

Next, let me tell you what happened when I was in the army except this man was bigger than either you or Dr. Phil. He and two of his buddies mistook our outfit for a National Guard outfit who was on the base for two weeks of training. He and his two buddies stopped in front of our barracks and were bad-mouthing our Platoon Sergeant who was on the second floor of the barracks. This went on for about 20 minutes. All of a sudden there were soldiers coming out from the front and the rear entrances to the barracks. Just that fast these three out-of-line soldiers were surrounded.

They were all big, but the two who were a bit smaller ran for their lives. So the biggest one decided he would take on the whole Platoon. Brother, those soldiers in our outfit beat that jerk up so bad that he probably died. He couldn’t fall to the ground because every time he tried to fall one of the soldiers in our outfit would jerk him straight up by a knee under his falling head. This man was out cold. These men were still kicking him for a few times more. The soldiers in our outfit came on back in and left the jerkface unconscious on the ground. He didn’t move at all. His two buddies later came slipping back around to see what had happened to him. The two picked him up and carried him off. In a few minutes some MP’s came around but there was no one in sight. They went on their way.

Now this jerk most likely had a broken nose, broken ribs, broken jaw, broken teeth, broken facial bones, cuts all over his head and a fractured skull. He might well have been dead. He didn’t move anymore. In the event that this man was revived at the base hospital, I would for sure bet that he had received a permanent attitude adjustment. So, Robert let that be one that you obviously have not considered. Just because you think you are bad simply means you have not had an ass-whupping of huge proportions that will get your attention. Some of us do not like bullies or your bullish attitude. So, just keep it up; and you might some day find yourself either dead or severely injured like that jerk that took on our Army Platoon. Now, that was stupid. Would you do that? Is that you?

haroldb

Replied By: metil2day on Mar 20, 2010, 4:01PM - In reply to 8i8dancer
Thank you! Cowards are rude! That explains why a co-worker found it necessary and acceptable to place post-it's (with no messages) on a picture of my (past-away) mother at my desk.She's a coward.

Replied By: lovemeok on Mar 20, 2010, 9:55AM
hello

Replied By: binghamk19 on Mar 20, 2010, 9:38AM
unfortunatley, rudeness is everywhere you go. I find it especially interesting how it varies from California to Alabama. I have lived in several states and by far I feel that it is worse here in the South. Dr. Phil needs to visit the town where I live and see for himself. They are rude at Mc Donalds, grocery stores, gas stations, any place I have been. I am nice, polite and they are down right RUDE here! It is too bad really because Isn't life supposed to be enjoyed?

There are people that live for rudeness. Rude, inconsiderate because they can be....hmmm Just NOT right! I say they need to put a smile on their faces or don't go into a customer service job! That is just my thoughts on the matter.

Smile America! Life is GOOD :)

Showing 1-10 of total 108 Comments