Twitter Facebook YouTube

2010 Shows

(Original Air Date: 11/10/09) To save money, it may seem like a good idea to take in extended family members under one roof, but tough economic times shouldn’t be a free pass for freeloaders! Dr. Phil speaks with people fed up with family members who aren’t contributing. Sandy’s 25-year-old daughter, Jamie, was unemployed and newly divorced when she moved back home -- along with two rambunctious kids and a dog. Sandy says Jamie doesn’t pay rent or help around the house, and she’s tired of being taken for granted. Dr. Phil helps this frustrated mother establish a new deal with her boomerang kid. Then, Debbie and Paul were sitting in the lap of luxury until Paul lost his job three years ago. Now this family holes up in a hotel room and is one step away from being homeless. Debbie says her husband needs to get a job -- any job -- or she’s walking. Why is it taking Paul so long to find employment? Plus, is it wrong for a grandmother to charge a fee for babysitting her grandkids? Speak out!

Find out what happened on the show.
Comments
Replied By: leogorky on Mar 18, 2010, 6:22AM - In reply to hometownpub
Huh? We have to do what we have to do. Now, you can maybe understand that most people are in jobs they despise, but bills have to be paid, etc. And you hate the thoughts of it? So do the rest of us. At  49, it's time to grow up and get real.

Replied By: leogorky on Mar 18, 2010, 6:19AM - In reply to danisha
What could your objection possibly be? So, if the grandparents don't have a lot of money, they should still get NOTHING for doing a full day's work? It's amazing that with all of the dynamics going on between these people on the show, most of you are upset that grandparents might be given a little something for their trouble. They are, after all, putting their own lives on hold to assume this responsibility. And, it certainly doesn't mean that YOU have to do it. Of all the things to gripe about..

Replied By: venicementor on Mar 17, 2010, 3:45PM
I could not believe what I was hearing when I heard Jamie defend her responses to her mother. Unbelievable! Her mother has here live with her and her two children, each from different fathers who obviously DO NOT PAY SUPPORT and she has the gall to not lift a finger to help her mother nor give money towards her room and board!?  WTH, This episode was very hard to watch and I just wanted to "slap" Jamie and her self serving state of mind.  If her mother were to be incapacitated, what would she do?  What an ungrateful person she is and will undoubtedly be alone for the rest of her life unless she changes her attitude.  Her kids will see what she is really like and eventually leave her as well.  WOW!!

Replied By: maw1965 on Mar 17, 2010, 11:49AM - In reply to rmg11065
My step-daughter , who is 22., and her two small children moved in with me and my teenage son.  She helps clean the house, do the dishes, does laundry,provides the majority of the food.  She has never expected me to take care of the kids and very rarely even asks me to. She cleans up after them and is 100% responsible for them.  This is a temporary situation until she can get on her feet, she left a bad relationship and had never worked. She now has a part time job and is working towards getting out on her own.  And honestly, I WILL miss them when they are gone.  My daughter and her daughter talked about coming back home as well, and I would have welcomed them with open arms. 
I was the type of person that was used to my quiet and if you would have asked me 4-5 years ago, I would have said that I would never let kids with grandkids move back in with me.  Now, I am very happy that I have gotten the opportunity to spend more time with my step-daughter and my grandkids. Even though at times it is loud or it is messy, through it all, I am glad we have the time together!

Replied By: rmg11065 on Mar 16, 2010, 11:50AM
Our son and daughter-in-law lived with us for two years while they were building their house, and it was great. Their work took them out of town three days a week, and they were with us for four. The nights they were there, our daughter-in-law cooked dinner, and our son cleaned up. I came home from work to a delicious dinner cooking and a beautifully set table. We didn't have empty-nest syndrome when our son left home after college, but we had a bad case of it when he left the second time and took his wonderful wife with him. It was also a bonding experience for our daughter-in-law and us.

Replied By: carlyw001 on Mar 16, 2010, 9:09AM
I can't feel sorry for people like this.  Had they chosen to live modestly and saved most of thier 6 figure income they would have a home paid off and savings to make it through hard times. (They probably could of retired).  These people get greedy and live in excess...I mean a 4 million dollar home????  What goes up, must come down some time.  Look at Warren Buffet...47 billion dollar net worth and he lives in a $31,500 home he bought in 1958.  He will most likely leave most of his fortune to charity when he dies. 

Replied By: fourthandone on Mar 16, 2010, 5:27AM
Dr. Phil.

As I was watching your show yesterday 3/15 you made my jaw drop. Im not to sure if you were referring to the town/city that I grew up in. The quote that came out of your mouth was " I would rather shovel Sh*t in Poughkeepsie.. Please tell me you were not degrading my beautiful town ?

Hope all is well.

Replied By: marianparoo on Mar 16, 2010, 1:43AM
...and is sponging off her mother.

Gee, that sounds familiar!

This repeat show wasn't so different from the usual Monday Alex in Dr. Phil Land after all!

But Dr. Phil was a lot rougher on her than he is on Alex....

Replied By: grannyten on Mar 15, 2010, 9:50PM
I had watched my granson after my daughter suggested she pay me half of what she paid for childcare somewhere else. Said it would help her and benifit me. ($10 a day for me). It was fine until we had disagreement over other things. She informed me she wasn't going to pay me the money she owed me. I am very patient and it was over $800. Hearing Dr. Phil say that granparents should be paid for watching a granchild when parents work full time took a big feeling of wonder off my mind. When someone does not share how their money is holding up but can still party, buy expensive gifts for themselfs and the granchild, you figure they should be able to pay what they suggested be paid. Still continue to have big difficutly but this money item is not a problem to me now. I feel I should have gotten paid since she was the one to suggest it. Thank you Dr. Phil. 

Replied By: egparsns on Mar 15, 2010, 8:55PM
Hi,
I had a similar situation. My husband was fired in 2003, and has not worked since.  He contiinued to spend money. In fact his American Express bill was over $100,000. We lost our home and everything else.He has spent his time trying to get back the money he lost. In 2005, I gave him an ultimatum, either get a job or move out. He moved out in 2005.  I have spent the last 7 years, trying to get out of debt. I divorced in 2008, and am not looking back. It has not been easy, as  I have never received a penny since 2003. My ex has since moved to Austin , Texas to "volunteer" for a start up. I have 2 children and have never received any support. I own my own business and was able to buy a home in 2009! My advice, stop "hoping " that they will get back on track... and move on!

Showing 1-10 of total 130 Comments