Twitter Facebook YouTube

2010 Shows

(Original Air Date: 11/11/09) When you think of negotiations, you may think of suits and corporate boardrooms, but negotiating happens every day -- even in your own house. Dr. Phil helps his guests negotiate everything from time spent watching football, to where a student gets to go to college to the price of a new car and even what organs a spouse can donate when he or she passes away! Learn the principles of making a deal, how to compromise to get what you want and the biggest mistakes you can make when buying a new car. Plus, learn the five things you might not realize you can bargain for. Stop getting ripped off and start negotiating!

Find out what happened on the show.
Comments
Replied By: cd247drmr on Jun 16, 2010, 7:39PM
I believe everything happens for a reason. Everyone knows this as my life quote due to the fact that not only do I say it at least 5 times everyday (to everyone), but I also have it tattooed on my back (and its pretty big ha). I just wanted to tell you this lil personal side about me since I just watched your show about "negotiating". Well I was just at Towbin Dodge this morning in Henderson, NV to ask for my money back for a car they sold me last week. I took it in 3 days after I bought it for problems and found out there were many safety issues wrong with the car and they let me drive off the lot!!! They are "talking about it today" and getting back to me tomorrow. On the show it even had the same jerk who was rude and disrespectful talking to Chopper (the owner..not sure why he needed to talk about price to his employee) and it made my blood boil. He didn't give me eye contact and basically told me to sit and pawned me off to the next guy.. oh and I sat at that same table they used to negotiate on the show. Ive found most everyone there to be friendly, helpful, OR just plain stupid. It make me jump out of my chair then I saw it TODAY .. and what (??) you are in the exact dealership I'm having problems with. Wish you were here to help me now!! I just had to look up your facebook account for the soul propose of telling you since I just adore you and your family and of course your show! I feel cheated.. lied to.. and this time there is no negotiating. On top of it all I treaded it my dads truck who passed in 2002 for this piece of crap. If this had happened to any one of my girlfriends that didn't know about cars and rotors and alignment I would have been screwed. Now I might end up in court with these guys all because I wanted a car.. I trusted them to give me a good deal (then go home and found out they had it on craigslist for way cheaper!! (Still never got an answer to that one except that its a lie they tell people to get them in and then they bump it up??)
Thank you Dr Phil for everything you have helped me with in my life ..so far.. and hope to see one of your shows as soon as I can.
xo Candace

Replied By: cd247drmr on Jun 16, 2010, 7:37PM
I believe everything happens for a reason. Everyone knows this as my life quote due to the fact that not only do I say it at least 5 times everyday (to everyone), but I also have it tattooed on my back (and its pretty big ha). I just wanted to tell you this lil personal side about me since I just watched your show about "negotiating". Well I was just at Towbin Dodge this morning in Henderson, NV to ask for my money back for a car they sold me last week. I took it in 3 days after I bought it for problems and found out there were many safety issues wrong with the car and they let me drive off the lot!!! They are "talking about it today" and getting back to me tomorrow. On the show it even had the same jerk who was rude and disrespectful talking to Chopper (the owner..not sure why he needed to talk about price to his employee) and it made my blood boil. He didn't give me eye contact and basically told me to sit and pawned me off to the next guy.. oh and I sat at that same table they used to negotiate on the show. Ive found most everyone there to be friendly, helpful, OR just plain stupid. It make me jump out of my chair then I saw it TODAY .. and what (??) you are in the exact dealership I'm having problems with. Wish you were here to help me now!! I just had to look up your facebook account for the soul propose of telling you since I just adore you and your family and of course your show! I feel cheated.. lied to.. and this time there is no negotiating. On top of it all I treaded it my dads truck who passed in 2002 for this piece of crap. If this had happened to any one of my girlfriends that didn't know about cars and rotors and alignment I would have been screwed. Now I might end up in court with these guys all because I wanted a car.. I trusted them to give me a good deal (then go home and found out they had it on craigslist for way cheaper!! (Still never got an answer to that one except that its a lie they tell people to get them in and then they bump it up??)
Thank you Dr Phil for everything you have helped me with in my life ..so far.. and hope to see one of your shows as soon as I can.
xo Candace

Replied By: carame on Jun 12, 2010, 12:58PM
This question is posed to anyone. How do I negotiate for a job without a long-term career? I'm middle age woman trying to find full time employment. I re-entered the workforce after my daughter graduated in the late nineties at which point I have done some volunteer work (office) during that time. I have been working as a temporary worker, but no long-term assignments. When I attend job fairs, they look at my resume and say "why don't you go through temp agencies". The problem with this is that they are in it for the profit so someone like me doesn't have a chance, I know because i have been through this for years trying to get temp-to-hire work. I get the same story, "we will call you."  Once again, because I'm lacking  in negotiating effectively, what methods should I use, and what book do you recommend.

Replied By: janiceegomes on Jun 11, 2010, 2:56PM
  1. Dr Phil, your how to negoitiate anything had me laughing.  My sister broke her four  toes on her right foot appproximately two weeks ago.  She went to Urgent Care which told her she would have to go to the hospital.  She did this and was told that if she had insurance it would be billed $ 14,500.  to do the surgury.  Since she did not, they would charge her $ 7,500.  She opted to try going through the county as this was  a lot of money and she would have to cash in an IRA to pay that amount.   All this time her foot is still broken, and the cogs of county medical decisions seem to process at the pace of molasses in January.  She recieved another call from  the original hospital and were now willing to do the surgury for $ 5,000.  At this rate she will still have a broken foot that will cost twice as much for under half the price.  She had not planed to negotiate this way, but why not when the hospital is so willing to!!?

Replied By: pjpage on Jun 11, 2010, 10:30AM
I am one of those women who know full well how to negotiate.  When my husband got his new Ford F250 truck I did all the negotiating.  the salesman kept trying to get him into the conversation because he was at a impass with me.  My husband just looked at him and said "I'll drive the truck she negotiates the price".  that was the end of the story as far as my husband was concerned.  About 3 hours later we drove away in a new truck,  Not only did I get the price and financing (0 %) but I got an extended warranty and paid $500. below dealer cost.  In the course of the day I had to pick up my purse and head for the door three times but the salesman called us back each time.   We paid a fare price for the vehicle and everyone was satisfied at the end.  I sold a travel trailer for more than anyone thought I would get for it too.  You have to do your research and show that you are knowlegeable at the beginning.  Most salemen think they have it made when   a woman comes to the dealership.  Not in my case.  I actually bought our new SUV recently and my husband didn't even bother to go with me.  He knew I would come back with a fare deal.  it goes to show ladies, all you have to do is be informed and have the will power to get what you want.  Of course you have to  make sure that all parties get something for their trouble.  Be fair but be persistant and always be pleasant but firm in determination.

Replied By: pjpage on Jun 11, 2010, 10:14AM
I found this subject very interesting.  My husband of 37 years is always amazed by my negotiations on pricing for objects we want to buy.  When we bought his new Ford F250 I did the negotiating.  I picked up my purse three times and started for the door and each time the salesman called me back. I knew how much I wanted to pay and how much I could afford.  He finally figured out that I meant business.  He started to direct his attention to my husband and my husband told him I was doing the negotiating since I knew better than he what we could afford.  I ended up leaving the dealership with a new truck, and extended warranty and was $500. below dealer cost.  I did my research first.    I also sold a used travel trailer for $1000 more than I paid for it.  I told the person who came to see it that if he wanted it he needed to buy it then because I had another person coming in an hour with cash.  Of course there was not other person coming at the time but it worked.   Now all my friends want me to sell their stuff and go to negotiate with them when they buy a car.  I feel in both cases the amounts paid were just and we were all happy in the end.  Of course, you have to use finesse and also know what you are talking about before you start.  Research and common sense always pay off.  I pride myself in not being afraid to negotiate and I have never paid less than something was worth.   I just don't want to pay more than it is worth either.

Replied By: satwell on Jun 9, 2010, 6:01PM
I watched the show today about women buying cars. I just want you to know that some women can handle buying a car for a good price. Salesmen do not like to deal with me. I have actually had to get my pursue and head to my car and the saleman would stop me before I got in the car. I know what I will pay before I sit down with them to do the paper especially if I have cash or a trade in to deal for the new car. I took both my daughters to buy cars so they would learn how to make a good transaction.  I have had salesmen tell me they are not making anything! One time we got to within $60.00 on the note and I refused to come up for it would not work in my budget. It took hours but I left in the vehicle. This also is the case with selling land. Some  men in  the South do not want to deal with a woman at all. I don't BS just tell them what I want and will take and this does not sit well with them.

Replied By: cadescove99 on Jun 9, 2010, 4:48PM - In reply to revabbieljmcj
Car salespeople use the "commission angle" to "quilt" customers, especially women into paying higher prices. Six years ago, on a show encouraging women to negotiate, Dr Phil had a guest "guilted" into offering to, and paying an extra $450 a month on a Lexus!

Replied By: cadescove99 on Jun 9, 2010, 4:00PM - In reply to bubbiex5
My husband to leave his mother home for the same reason. He's start negotiating on a used car and she'd butt in, saying it was worth more than the seller's original price. Which was already far higher than it was actually worth, given the mileage and other conditions. So, his chances of getting it for a reasonable price were blown. I'll bet he gave her quite an earful of the way home!

Replied By: cadkisson on Jun 9, 2010, 3:51PM
Dr. Phil,

As a 59 yr old woman, I absolutely LOVE to negotiate.  My husband just sits back and lets me take the reins whenever we are buying a new car.  He's the one who doesn't like to negotiate. 

Here's our best example:  In 2001 we found a Chevy Express Conversion van that we fell in love with.  My husband loved the captains chairs and the seat that made into a queen size bed and the over-sized tires and many other extras like track lighting  and high tech stereo system, etc.  The suggested price of the van was $36,000.  Although the car was new with only 64 miles on it from demo drives, I told the salesman my deal right off.  At the time interest rates were higher than they are now.  I told him very firmly, yet friendly that we would give him $28,000 all inclusive.  I told him that we would consider our trade-in (old van 200,000 miles) as our down payment, the tax and license were to be included in this $28,000 and interest rate was not to exceed 6%.  He laughed and asked if I were serious and I said yes.  And reminded him that the van was a 2000, not a 2001 that were also out.  I knew they would want to get the older models off the lot so the newer ones could dominate the area.  He was very nice and took us inside and pulled the trick of this being a tough deal and he'd talk to his manager.  He was gone about 10 minutes and we could see them talking in another cubicle (probably about the ball game..hahah) and then he came back and said they could go $34,000.  I stuck firm to my original deal.  He left...came back...asked for a $1500 down payment.  I stuck to my deal.   He left....he came back and said that they could give us the van at that price if they took the $2500 tires off and replaced them with standard tires, and they wanted $800 down payment.  I stuck to my original deal and said the everything remains on the van as is.  He left and came back and got down on one knee next to me and said,
"Mame, you drive a hard deal.  Can you just give me $500 down for my commission?"  I said, "No, we are sticking to my original deal.  If you can't agree, then we are out the door."   He left, he came back and with his hand outstretched towards me, he said, "Lady, you are tough.  Congratulation, you have a new van."  We shook hands, he shook my husband's hand and off we went to the finance man to finance the van at 5.9%.  It was so much fun.  My family knows to let me come with them and do the talking when they are going to buy a new car.  Thanks for letting me share.   Carol Adkisson

Showing 1-10 of total 63 Comments