Twitter Facebook YouTube

2009 Shows

It seems that every day we hear stories about women and children being abducted by strangers, and oftentimes never found live. Recent news stories include the disappearance of Morgan Harrington, a 20-year-old Virginia Tech student who went missing during a Metallica concert, and 7-year-old Somer Thompson who was kidnapped and murdered while walking home from school. In exclusive interviews, the parents of the victims speak out about their emotional struggles. Do you know the top methods predators use to lure women and children? And, are you posting information on social networking Web sites that could put you in danger? Tune in to find out legal, forensic and defense experts' advice for spotting predators, avoiding abduction and fighting off attackers. Talk about the show here.

Dr. Phil shares his thoughts on every parent’s worse nightmare and offers information to safeguard your children on his blog.

Find out what happened on the show.
Comments
Replied By: lovingone on Nov 23, 2009, 6:23PM - In reply to clerocks
That's interesting that the local station in Cleveland decided to air a different episode.  Perhaps they thought that this episodes subject matter was to sensitive given the recent serial killer story in the Cleveland area.

Replied By: yogime1230 on Nov 19, 2009, 6:52AM - In reply to mizgreem
Yes, things have changed.  I use to walk myself to school since I was 4 years old.  I am 35 years old now.  My mom was a stay at home mom and wanted to walk me but I was a troubled and stubburn child and wanted to be independant.  Luckily I never had an issue walking alone until I was much older.  Ironic I guess...

Replied By: ttarr18 on Nov 18, 2009, 9:57AM
Personal Security is becoming a very serious necessity for women, children, students... everyone. I literally read about an abduction, robbery, rape, or kidnapping incident at least 3 times a week, if not more. I recently discovered a new application for my cell phone that provides personal security anywhere I go. It works on any device or carrier, so you don't have to have a smart phone to use it. What a great idea, especially for single women and college students! Take a look for yourself : www.shadowmesecurity.com.

Replied By: sczerniak on Nov 17, 2009, 7:11PM - In reply to bethroberts
I think it would be a good idea for local law enforcement to go to Pre-Schools and Kindergarten classes to teach children the do's and dont's regarding "Stranger, Stranger, 9-1-1?"  I hate to even watch the news anymore because there are so many children (and adults) who are missing.  I wish more daytime and/or prime time talk shows would present the same type program that Dr. Phil did.

Replied By: sczerniak on Nov 17, 2009, 7:03PM
I was very interested in the show about abduction.  I think teaching children about "Stranger, Stranger, 9-1-1" should be taught in Pre-School or Kingergarten.  Parents need to make sure their children walk together in groups or watch out for each other.  I don't know anyone personally who has lost a child (or adult), but I live in Florida part of the year and it seems that every day there is a missing person and it scares the wits out of me that it could happen to someone I know.  God Bless you for having a show that brings to light the loss of a child or adult and the devastation it brings to family members.

Replied By: worriedmom9 on Nov 15, 2009, 10:53PM
I want to share a tactic my son used one day when he felt uncomfortable walking after shool.  He was in 5th grade at the time.  He wanted to walk to the nearby convenience store and I was going to pick him up from there instead of at school like I normally did.  He told me that a car was coming up behind him and going very slow.  He didn't like this so he pretended that the nearest house was his house and he started walking up the driveway.  The car then sped up and drove away.  I told him that was a great idea and I was very proud of him.  I have always run scenerios with my kids to make sure that it was always in the back of their minds, just in case.  We have always used code words as well.  They were always told never to go with anyone unless they knew the code word.  Even if they know them.  There was another time when we were at the grocery store and I had my 2 kids with me and 2 other little girls that I was babysitting.  My kids were a bit older but the little girls were only 4 and 5.  I kept noticing a man in every isle that we were in.  When I would look at him he was never looking at food, he was looking at us.  I never let the kids run around the store, but this time I made sure to keep them even closer.  I made the girls hold my hands and the boys were to stay close.  It made me realize even more how much you need to always be aware of your surroundings.  God bless the families on the show.

Replied By: deedledi on Nov 13, 2009, 9:33AM
Hey Readers!

I watched Dr. Phil yesterday because I had an hour to burn and wanted to see if they knew all the ways to stop children from being kidnapped. But I realized at the end that they forgotone of the most important ones! Meemaw and Mommy always told me NEVER get in someone's car, even if you know them. Doesn't matter if they are a family friend, a neighbor or even some relatives (depends on how they are getting along). The reason I say this is because if children know the person they won't see why it's bad to get in that person's car. I was disappointed they didn't mention it. Please, if you have children, teach them this! It's more likely for children to be kidnapped by someone they know then a stranger.

Sincerely,
Damita

Replied By: rainsong16 on Nov 13, 2009, 7:41AM
Tears just started rolling down my face when i glanced at all the messages that people had wrote in about being abused. I can't believe there are SO many people like me.... I have been sexually, emotionally, verbably and physically abused over the years. It started at the age of 4 until the age of 38. My abused stopped in Sept. of 1999. But all the scars and damage still remains. I had many perps in my life. I'm still in therapy over these issues. I feel like a rag doll that people had abused and used. I feel torn, damaged and ripped and now just thrown in the corner cause people are done with me.  Me, left alone to deal with my issues. The abuse had stopped but i picked up where the others left off. That I'm dealing with in therapy. I have major depression, PTSD, DID, . I have been DX with others, but who really knows...

Replied By: mizgreem on Nov 12, 2009, 6:27PM
I HAVE ALWAYS WATCHED MY CHILDREN....AND ALWAYS WAS AWARE OF MY SURROUNDINGS...AND MY CHILDREN.....I NEVER LET THEM STAND ON A BUS CORNER...WAITING FOR THE SCHOOL BUS...IF THERE WERE NOT  ANY OTHER CHILDREN THERE......I HAVE WENT INTO GROCERY STORES...AND HAD TO TAKE THE CHILDREN WITH ME....NUMEROUS TIMES....WHEN THEY WERE GROWING UP...ALL OF THIS....CAME FROM ...MY PARENTS.............THEY WERE THE SAME WATCHFUL PARENTS...THAT I HAD BECOME..ETC....MY OPINION...IS THAT IN SMALL TOWN AMERICA....DIFFERENT PEOPLE THINK ...JUST BECAUSE IT IS A SMALL TOWN...IT IS NOT NECESSARY...TO .....LOCK YOU DOORS.....LOCK YOUR CAR....AND THEY THINK THEIR CHILDREN....ARE VERY SAFE......THAT IS A WRONG CONCLUSION.......NEVER LET YOU GUARD DOWN...........I DO NOT CARE HOW SAFE A COMMUNITY SEEMS.......I ALSO PASSED THIS ON TO MY CHILDREN.....AND THEY HAVE PASSED THIS ON TO THEIR CHILDREN...........THINGS HAVE CERTAINLY.....CHANGED...SINCE I WAS A CHILD....AND TEENAGER...

Replied By: mizgreem on Nov 12, 2009, 6:17PM
.I JUST WANTED TO SAY....IN 2002...MY GRANDDAUGHTER WAS MURDERED...IN THE  THE BURBS ..OUT SIDE OF ATLANTA GEORGIA...SHE WAS ONLY 20 YEARS OLD...MURDERED BYT HER SO- CALLED BOYFRIEND....HE HID HER BODY IN A RUG...AND THROWED THE CONTENTS IN A DUMPSTER...AND LIED FOR A WEEK THAT HE DID  NOT KNOW ANYTHING ABOUT HER DISAPPEARANCE...BUT EVENTUALLY HE WAS CAUGHT....I ...REALLY FEEL FOR THE PARENTS....AND FAMILIES...WHO HAVE TO GO THROUGH THIS.....I KNOW.....I HAVE LIVED IT...........ANOTHER THING BEFORE I   RETIRE FOR THE NIGHT..........THERE IS  SOMETHING CALLED...TRICHOTILLO MANIA....I FOUND OUT THAT ONE OF MY GRAND DAUGHTERS....HAS THIS.................I HOPE THAT ...DR.PHIL....WILL SHED SOME LIGHT AND INFORMATION...ON THIS DISORDER.....THERE ARE NUMEROUS ...PEOPLE THAT HAVE THIS DISORDER.....IT IS NOT TALKED ABOUT HARDLY AT ALL.....

Showing 1-10 of total 20 Comments