Twitter Facebook YouTube

2010 Shows

(Original Air Date: 11/05/09) With the divorce rate reported at more than 50 percent, it’s inevitable that you or someone you know will end a marriage. How do you know if you’re ready for divorce? What do you do if one spouse wants out but the other wants to stay? Dr. Phil works with a couple on the verge of ending their union, to see if they are really ready to go their separate ways. Learn the legal considerations and potential emotional fallout to prepare for, the right and wrong ways to take that final step and the five questions you need to ask that will determine if you’re ready to call it quits. Plus, civil and family attorney Areva Martin offers her tips on how to protect yourself if you’re getting divorced.

Find out what happened on the show.
Comments
Replied By: sweetbabynrs on May 21, 2013, 1:23PM - In reply to rinie1
the first thing you do is protect your children.  get him out of the house, then grow up, get some therapy for attachment issues or whatever and try to manage WITHOUT him in the house.  that's what i'm saying,  he has to live somewhere else while they are deciding if they are "ready" for divorce.  i still think the whole subjet of this show is silly.

Replied By: sweetbabynrs on Jul 20, 2010, 7:57PM - In reply to rinie1
i dont think i was clear enough in my post,  i was feeling strongly and i tend to ramble.    I do think there is emotional unfinished business, but they cannot live under the same roof while working on it.  

Replied By: sweetbabynrs on Jul 20, 2010, 7:57PM - In reply to rinie1
i dont think i was clear enough in my post,  i was feeling strongly and i tend to ramble.    I do think there is emotional unfinished business, but they cannot live under the same roof while working on it.  

Replied By: sweetbabynrs on Jul 20, 2010, 7:52PM - In reply to tojalaki
the wife is absolutely at fault for including the children in what should be between a husband and wife.   that is bad.   but i think it would stop and they would be able to work out their issues without hurting the children if HE moved out.    the kids should not lose their home.   also,   the fact that the kids don't want to live with him should tell you something.      I lived in a broken home, and I know beyond a shadow of a doubt life would have been better if my dad had moved out.    he was the reason for tension, anger, and fear in the house.   we used to be happy when he had to work late.   i have a suspicion it's the same in that house.  

Replied By: sweetbabynrs on Jul 20, 2010, 7:44PM - In reply to rinie1
then they should deal with the unfinished business while living in separate places.   to live together is toxic to everyone especially the kids.     

Replied By: tojalaki on Jun 29, 2010, 9:15PM
I am disappointed in the show because the wife got a total pass on her behavior and was not held accountable like the husband.  He was mocked when it was suggested his poor behavior was a result of years of his wife's actions, but she got a total pass on her behavior because of years of his bad actions.   Not fair.  Why on earth is the 18 year old daughter concerned over paying the mortgage?  Why is the mother crawling into bed with their young son and sobbing?  And nothing is said of this directly to her?  Oh yea, because she's the victim and that allows her a pass on her poor behavior.  Both the husband and wife have to be held responsible for the mess in their marraige.  Directing a majority of the heat only on the husband may have "felt" good, but will not lead to true reconciliation.

Replied By: penelope499 on Jun 29, 2010, 2:18PM - In reply to rileyr
Your daughters are adults and have probably learned to be victims.  Show him you would rather eat dirt than put up with this behavior.  You can make it out there and you will be much happier.  Women are afraid to make it on their own, because they often don't want to change their lifestyles.  I'd rather be happy in a box with piece of mind than miserable in a mansion.  

Replied By: penelope499 on Jun 29, 2010, 2:14PM - In reply to cscvendor
I was so angry by the end of this show, I keep have died.  This woman acted like she was about 16 years old and entirely helpless.  I am divorced and have raised three children alone.  Women don't have to take someone to the cleaners to take care of themselves and their children.  This was a ridiculous show.

Replied By: sweetbabynrs on Jun 28, 2010, 12:16PM - In reply to rinie1
in a divorce, there is always unfinished emotional business...   some marriages should not be saved.  the children are suffering every day and they even said they want him gone.   she has to put her kids before any attachment she has to him.     until divorce proceedings start, they have to separate.   She is obviousely living in misery and so are the kids, and him leaving will make their life better.    sometimes one person DOES cause the problems.    I wish every day that my mom had left my dad,  having him in the house my whole life has left me scarred and with deep anger issues.   I am in and out of therapy and still don't know how to get our from under his control.    I see the exact same dynamic in this family.  

Replied By: missy_pq on Jun 24, 2010, 9:10AM
Man, what were you thinking? This woman has been playing her kids against their father for years. She talked about his affairs and she cries and clings to the children so they will feel sorry for her. You heard the father say she will not even make the kids do chores!
And what about the comments she made TWICE about not having any friends or family. Do you honestly think they are all dead? She obviously has a problem maintaining relationships. I am a woman and I WHOLEHEARTEDLY disagree that the husband is completely at fault. I believe, as he TRIED to communicate before you cut him off), that his hands ARE tied now. He has had his whole family played against him for years. Believe me, I know what I am talking about because my husband's ex did the same thing to their kids. FINALLY, at the ages of 18 and 15 they are just beginning to see how mom used them to 'get even' with dad for whatever it is she still harbors such hatred over. It's not just the father who is suffering; the kids have it way worse and it is MOSTLY THE MOM'S FAULT! Please, Dr. Phil, "get a clue".

Showing 1-10 of total 144 Comments