Twitter Facebook YouTube

2010 Shows

(Original Air Date: 11/06/09) With reportedly 36 percent of children under 12 overweight, childhood obesity is a growing epidemic. Parents: If your kids are tipping the scales, don’t miss the top three ways that you may be contributing to their weight gain. Sarah weighs 173 pounds, and she’s only 10 years old. Her parents, Enrique and Gina, point fingers at each other when it comes to their daughter’s bad eating habits. Find out what happens when a leading nutritionist makes a house call to see what’s lurking in the family’s refrigerator. Can the couple get Sarah to shed pounds before she develops serious health issues? Dr. Jim Sears, pediatrician and co-host of The Doctors,  shares his thoughts. Plus, meet the parents of a 5-year-old girl who already weighs 92 pounds. Are they at fault, or could their child have an underlying medical issue?

Find out what happened on the show.
Comments
Replied By: rosepeace2u on Apr 23, 2010, 9:43PM
Dr. Phil is correct when he says that we need to model for our children, but we also have to teach them when they are babies that when they are full they should stop eating.  When we cook for them, we should be cooking healthy foods, limiting junk food, and serving a reasonable amount for each meal.  If a child is full before the plate is empty, it does not matter if the plate is clean or not.
I made a habit of never eating the food to clean up my children's plates as you see many moms do.  I used to say, "Better garbage in the can than garbage on me!"  The same is true for our children.  By teaching them to make good choices when they are babies, we can rejoice as they make good choices for their own welfare as adults.  Pausing before you refill your plate is simple, but very effective in modeling good behavior for your children.
Allowing your children to eat until they have ruined their health, simply because you don't learn how to keep them healthy, is foolish beyond measure.  All you need is a good cookbook that has a nutrition section in it and read it and put it into practice.  Find out how much your child should be eating and then keep the servings within those parameters.  Teaching children to wait until the next meal is not going to harm them and crying to get their own way on any issue is common in children and you need to figure out who is in charge and act accordingly.  That child cannot make those decisions for himself, he/she does not have the experience or the understanding to make them.  YOU ARE ULTIMATELY RESPONSIBLE!

Replied By: crcp21 on Apr 8, 2010, 2:27PM
I am very overweight and had lap band performed in September 09.  I am going to struggle with my weight for the rest of the my life because the band is a tool not a fix.  I saw that the nutristionist performed laboratory test that indicates which type of foods is not good for that person.  Does anyone know that name of the laboratory tests that were performed for the family on Monday?
Thanks

Replied By: 2distresse on Apr 8, 2010, 10:44AM
I worry about my sisters grandchildren.  Her daughter-in-law I believe is guilty of child abuse.   The daughter-in-law weighs over 250 pounds, her mother is near 400 pounds.  If the children eat breakfast it's because they get a box of cereal and eat it dry or a box or donuts are set out for them.  Lunch is a Pop Tart or what ever junk food is around.  Sometimes it's popcorn.  Dinner is usually something ordered out - either McDonalds or pizza.  There is rarely a sit down meal as a family.  The boy in first grade has problems.  He is rolling around on the floor and very disruptive   because he can't sit still or concentrate.  The mother was told that he shouldn't have any sweets or soft drinks but he has these everyday and is hyper.  The boy is behind in school but the mother says it's the schools responsibility to help him.  The school schedules conferences but she "forgets".  How do you help these children???

Replied By: darlingwife on Apr 8, 2010, 6:34AM
chances are children are not cooking.   children who get to be obese have been overfed and fed the wrong foods.  neglecting a child like this is immoral.  pacifying a child with food is a sign the parent does not know how to deal with the child.  these parents should get help.  it is not ok!

Replied By: callitea on Apr 7, 2010, 12:02PM
What was meant in the show when the overweight child and the dad (in the first segment)were suppose to eat mostly proteins and stay away from carbs, how do you know they are suppose to do that ? Is that based on their blood type?

Replied By: oct1702 on Apr 6, 2010, 8:13AM
I saw this show and greatly appreciate it.  I have struggled with my weight all my life and  my 13 year old son has too.  I do admit to making bad choices but both of us are trying to break old habits.  He is a very talented football player and is now working out with the football coach doing weight lifting and beginning to understand the importance of being healthy. I probably struggle the most being 47 years old, 5ft 2 inches and 271 pounds.  My husband and I both have a hard time understanding my weight because it seems like I eat less than anyone I know but yet I am the fat one.  Please continue doing these shows that give tips and help us understand. I have been watching the Biggest Looser and would love to go onthe  show but at this time cannot afford to take 3 months off work.  Thanks for trying to help those of us that are struggling.

Replied By: lovingone on Apr 6, 2010, 5:47AM
I have checked out Bistro MD's website in the past and the menu looks deliscious.

But I just want to remind people that there are somewhat less expensive opptions.

I don't want my post deleted, but those two popular weight loss plans that use celebrities in the commercials, NS or JC.

It was a grea answer for me.  I actually learned how to cook healthy a long time ago but it just didn't result in getting the old weight off.     Hectic schedules didn't leave time for the dliigence required for all that preperation of food  AND finding time to exercise AND makeing sure that I lost 1-2 pounds every week

So It was nice to have yummy prepackaged foods ready to go, so I could concentrate on other aspects of weight loss.

If you need to learn how to cook healthy, just  go to the library and look up fitness magazines and health consious cookbooks.

Replied By: getrealtime on Apr 6, 2010, 5:30AM - In reply to bludiamond55
Really it takes a village to raise a child?  Lets see where else that phrase has been used for more Gov. help in the lifes of our children. The Village term was used to promote more programs to prevent teen Preg. and guess what with all that help and all the programs and condoms being handed out teen preg. is up not down. The Village is code for Gov. so  you can keep the village out of my child life lol... So they should shut down Micky Ds because some parents can not parent? Stop selling popcorn because some can't count calories? If you don't want your kid to eat Mickey Ds don't go, If you don't want your kid to drink a pop at school don't give them monies to do so, pack a lunch..

I like popcorn and Micky Ds and so do my kids, I don't buy it all the time so they are not overweight. I as a parent buy what my children eat, If I don't buy it they can't get it can they. 3rd graders can't drive to Mickey Ds don't have cash unless a parent or adult gives it to them. We have the control  in what they eat.

To all the ppl waiting for the Village or Dr. Phil to tell you how to feed your children healthy what is wrong with you???? You have a Computer we know this because you posted here.  Look it up if you don't know what a healthy meal is. Like a Apple is healthier than a HoHo , Pop if you drink it very other day will put weight  on your kids. Big portions of food is not good small portions is better. The walk from the frig back to the video game is not exercise, common sense needs to make a come back. Its not that ppl don't know what is good for their children its just not as easy for them then the junk they feed them. A play book of what is good and what is bad would still need to be used by the lazy parent and good luck with that because if they had the want to help their children they wouldn't be sitting around waiting on the Village or The Doc. to help them they would be doing it already.

Replied By: moss61 on Apr 5, 2010, 8:50PM
My daughter is 12 and weighs approx 270lbs. I worry about her daily and try to watch what she eats, she has been diagnosed diabeteic. We are on very limited income and was interested in camps that will help her or diet schedules. She constantly sneaks food and is very lazy. Any suggestions will help. I tried to get her towatch the show today with me but she gets very offended when anything is said to her regarding weight.

Replied By: tvlover on Apr 5, 2010, 7:51PM - In reply to hgoodguy
I really think the parents are saying they want the child to eat healthy but that's not what their actions are saying. I think the parents are feeling, "A lot for me is good. More for my child is better."

Thin parents usually have a better sense of what to eat and when that they can pass along to children. How is a parent going to teach it who doesn't know it?

They show up in public all flummoxed. To me they look silly.

Showing 1-10 of total 70 Comments