Twitter Facebook YouTube

2009 Shows

How do you really feel about the black person who is standing next to you on the elevator? What really goes through your mind when you pass an Asian person in the grocery store? Dr. Phil tackles hidden racial biases, and he has help from a panel of experts: comedians Paul Mooney, Kate Rigg and Manny Maldonado, civil and family attorney Areva Martin, USC professor of sociology Amon Emeka and radio host Michael Graham. The group busts racial stereotypes at their core and addresses the subtle attacks many feel have been launched against President Obama. Don’t miss this no-holds barred discussion!

Find out what happened on the show.
Comments
Replied By: elise77 on Jun 2, 2010, 11:33PM
Hello!  I watched this episode a couple of months ago, in Newcastle, Australia. I have been meaning to read the message board about it, as I was sure Dr Phil didn't discuss any issues regarding America's Indigenous People ( I'm not sure if Native American or American Indian is correct, and didn't want to offend).  At first I thought I must have walked out of the room at that point as I couldn't understand why there had been no mention of the original land owners of their country.   Having just read through most of the posts it seems that unfortunately I was right, there was no mention.  How could the show just ignore them?  That is terrible.  Indigenous people all over the world should be shown great respect as so often their lands have been taken over by other races without consideration of their culture.  If this was an Australian show and the Aborginal People were not mentioned, I would be horrified.  So although I found the topic to be an interesting point of discussion, I think the Dr Phil show did not represent it very well at all.  Having said that, I agree with many of the posts that said that we are all Human and race should not be an issue.  But when it is an issue, everyone needs to be included and considered.

Replied By: bethbeyer on Feb 2, 2010, 7:46PM
Hi, I watch your show in Melbourne, Australia.  I found your show on "What No One Wants to Admit" very interesting.  I would consider myself to be the most accepting person of people from other cultures.  I'm not sure what it's like in America but here in Australia a lot of the immigrants try to and often do change how both our schools and kindergartens are run. For example, some kinders cannot do any activities for Easter or Christmas because it offends cultures who do not recognise these days.  I have no objection to people practising their beliefs.  I do have a problem when my children miss out on what I grew up with because of someone else's beliefs.

Replied By: dark_horse on Nov 3, 2009, 3:49PM - In reply to dlzee16
Very well put dizee 16!

Replied By: manny220 on Nov 3, 2009, 12:09PM - In reply to ashogg
i meant to say first mexican in outer space..thanks for the correction..(MM)

Replied By: k8teeeeeeee on Nov 2, 2009, 12:43PM
And how does the black person on the elevator feel about the white person standing next to him or her. Doesn't it work both ways, or is it just the white people who are racist?

Replied By: tasneemgh on Oct 30, 2009, 9:09PM
This topic is GREAT and it touches each and every person in this country. Not like every other subject that Dr. Phil discusses in depth this time Dr. Phill has barely touched the surface, and he even touched it so lightly that almost no Marks has left behind. Dr. Phil you have forgotten the Muslim community or let me say the Americans from a middle eastern origins who are Muslims and their women wear the HIJAB and walk with it in the streets everyday. Tow Iranian Americans sitting in the audiance that they had to tell us that they are Iranian Americans and therefore we assume that they are Muslims.
We, women like me who wear their religion in their clothes face horrible judgment every day to everybody we are EATERS, FEEDERS, AND BREEDERS. We do not know how to control our children, since we have too many of them we don't even care.If I am in a store or the mall and my child does a spontaneous mistake that "I think every child might do" People give themselves the right to scream at my children for me and lecture me that I have to learn to control them before I ever leave the house with them.Some people even give themselves the authority to walk after me staring at me furiously to protect the store property from me like I am a shop lifter or thomething.With the famouse "war on terrorism" thing being rude to people like me is justified.I lived in US before and after september 11th.Before, insulting anybody was a crime . After , insulting people like me is a noble act of protecting the nation. It is so justified that even Dr. Phil doesn't see how wrong it is.

Replied By: dark_horse on Oct 30, 2009, 12:01PM
I would like to know how much of what is labelled as racist behavior can be traced back to the more primal parts of the brain that are linked to survival behaviors and therefore be better understood as nothing more than instinct.  Move beyond what is considered "Right and Wrong" in modern politically correct terms and consider what "Right and Wrong" in terms that are related with survival. 

Meaning, parts of the human brain are hardwired to preceive differences which, in many circumstances, may result in "life or death"; or at least between "good health or harm".  In fractions of a second the brain has to distinguish between friend or foe; or between that which will support the brain/body's continued exsistance (including procreation) and that which may harm or retard the brain/body's life sustaining efforts.

One more thing to think about:  We have prejudices and preferences for everything within our lives; this is how we choose our foods, the clothes we wear, the relationships we make, etc. 

I look forward to hear your thoughts!

Replied By: dlzee16 on Oct 30, 2009, 10:17AM
Why is something that someone believes in uneducated?    Phil made a joke about racist people being stupid and rednecky.. i find that far from the truth.  I think were all racist as a whole  most of the time whites hang with whites blacks with blacks and so on..im not saying that races dont mingle, Im just speaking as a whole. you feel more comfortable with your own color..Also that statistic about more minority then white people in jail i think is a little misguided...there are more white people in North america so of course our number is higher...if we were all equal in numbers i think then the truth would come out..Also i think African American is completly wrong to say  Its not a color so technically a white person from africa that moves to USA is an african american not the people that have lived here their whole life.  I dont walk around saying im german-american because my family migrated from germany a hundred years ago..we are all american..The big problem right know is not rascism its reverse racism..Ever put on a black station..they talk about whites like were trash..i dont hear any of them getting fired...just my thoughts...I think Whoopie said it best," I get angry when people call me African American. It pisses me off and I tell them I'm not African American I'm just American".

Replied By: stoughton67 on Oct 30, 2009, 9:58AM - In reply to schwarry
Well put!!!

Replied By: stoughton67 on Oct 30, 2009, 9:51AM
What's the problem...people can wear their hair the way they want to.  Black women wear wigs all the time.  What's the diff?

Showing 1-10 of total 219 Comments