Twitter Facebook YouTube

2010 Shows

(Original Air Date: 10/13/09) When you think of a drug addicts, you probably think of people in a dark alley buying their poison from shady characters. The reality is that nearly seven million Americans are abusing prescription drugs —  that’s more than the number who abuse cocaine, heroin, ecstasy and inhalants combined, and they're your friends, neighbors, coaches and kids, who gain access to narcotics from licensed medical professionals. Robert, 25, was raised in an upscale suburban family and says all he cares about  is drugs. His parents say his addiction is destroying their family but admit they have been enabling their son. Can Dr. Phil wake this family up to the gravity of the situation? Then, go undercover inside a clinic and see how easy it is to score these narcotics. Next, ride along as a young man searches for OxyContin to feed his addiction, and see the harsh reality of this addiction in scenes from the documentary The OxyContin Express. Dr. Phil digs deep into the prescription drug epidemic and tells you what you need to know if you or someone you love is addicted to painkillers.

Find out what happened on the show.
Comments
Replied By: rdchryl on Sep 12, 2013, 3:36PM - In reply to jh5050
Thank you so much for caring enough to write to me.  Obviously I am still here!  My mother ended up killing herself about 10 years ago or so.  I know what you mean now, but not fortunately I was well into my adult years before this happened.

I am so sorry for your loss, but you seem to be a strong person.  Again, my many thanks.  I am doing much better now.  Hope you are well too!

Replied By: kimlee on Oct 3, 2010, 5:45PM - In reply to patty41650
I am so very sorry for your tremendous and unspeakable loss. My prayers and thoughts are with you!! We lost our son too, a year and a half ago. How can you put into words the loss of your child?  No matter how old they are, they are still your child.  My consolation is that the Lord holds them in His everloving arms, cradling them with His love.  One day I know I will see my son; this is what keeps me going.  However, it is not easy; you take it day by day, praying for strength-God bless you and your family

Replied By: kimlee on Oct 3, 2010, 5:40PM - In reply to bleulune
I meant to also add my son who has recovered from drugs was on heroin; there is hope for your daughter.

Replied By: kimlee on Oct 3, 2010, 5:38PM - In reply to bleulune
Thank you so very much for your beautiful and sensitive reply. I didn't even know you posted it until today! I pray your daughter will not end of like my son;  my other two children recovered from drugs and alcohol after getting (rehab) treatment and are doing well.  There is hope; don't give up!!  God bless you and your precious daughter.

Replied By: nana372 on Mar 20, 2010, 5:37PM
DR. Phil I have watched your shows on addiction and because I have a son (34 yrs old) that is an  abuser of pills want to say that I do not think we ever get them back.  From what I see in his is that he has been in that mental haze (he told us ) since he was about 15.  He has two children from a marrige where they both were on pills.  He wants to be clean and he wants to be a good dad, but think about it, if a person does drugs to not deal with life then surely they are getting nothing from life.  He does not even remember half his life!!!!!! what chance do his children have in this crazy world?? I am beyond angry.

Replied By: janeep on Mar 17, 2010, 6:31PM - In reply to magicwanda
I want to add to the thoughts expressed here concerning the legitimate use of pain medications. As I said in a previous entry, I have been using hydrocodone, soma, gabapentin and topiramate for six years. I've been very responsible about my usage and have not gone above the doses that my pain management doctor prescribed. I have been very grateful for the drugs because without them I would not have been as functional or productive as I was. Another reason is when my pain levels go up, my blood pressure goes up, which is a risk factor for many other diseases. So the responsible use of these drugs does have there place. I also want to add that my pain management doctor is a very compassionate, wonderful person, who has worked with me and done everything he could to minimize my suffering..

My complaint is that some of the insurance companies aren't willing to pay for other, healthier treatments that might allow the chronic pain patient to decrease their usage or even completely get off these drugs. On workers comp I am no longer able to get chiropractic, physical therapy, or massage therapy even though they have been proven to be effective in controlling my pain. I have also asked for biofeedback, radiofrequency rhizotomy (a procedure to burn the nerves causing pain), and would like to try feldenkrais. I have paid for physical therapy, feldenkrais and holistic medicine out of my own pocket to the tune of thousands of dollars. It has helped, but I need the radiofrequency rhizatomy in order to continue my therapy and it's too expensive for me to pay for.

My point is that I agree wholeheartedly that pain control needs to come from whatever source is available. But we need to put pressure on the insurance companies to try out the healthy sources when available to see if they will work in order to minimize usage of narcotics and other drugs. BTW, the reason I'm weaning myself off my drugs is because I just recently found out that my kidneys started to decrease their functioning. Talk about scary stuff!! I have no risk factors and the drugs I use are not known to cause kidney failure. I don't smoke and I have a healthy lifestyle. But here I am with kidneys not working as well as they should. So I have a new sense of urgency to get myself back on healthy pain control and off the drugs, even if they aren't known to cause kidney failure. I figure my kidneys can use all the help they can get!!!!!!!!! So anyone out there on these drugs for pain control might want to get their creatinine and GFR scores checked from time to time.Just ask your doctor for a blood test to check the functioning of your kidneys, and your liver while you're at it.  I had them tested in a routine health exam, and I'm sure glad I did!!

Replied By: janbmom on Mar 17, 2010, 3:34PM - In reply to anypie
Thank you for your support.  You are helping me realize I did the right thing.  I have been wanting my son to get his act together for quite some time and he needed a rude awakening.  I hope this is the beginning of better days for all of us.  Positive changes are already happening.  I just have to be patient.       

Replied By: giraffemonkey on Mar 17, 2010, 1:51PM - In reply to dkb1031
Family try to find a doctor in your area who prescribes Suboxone. The sucess is amazing and I can"t tell you have much it has helped me and my family. Thanks and good luck. All of us addicts looking for help and resources to help us in recovery is the best way to help us get the help we need. Good luck on your journey and recovery.

Replied By: maw1965 on Mar 17, 2010, 12:45PM - In reply to karen1996
Never give up there are  people out there to help you!  Contact someone locally!

Replied By: maw1965 on Mar 17, 2010, 12:40PM - In reply to bleulune
You obviously don't know much about addicts and addiction. If it was so easy for them to "admit" they have a problem and take control.........we wouldn't have so many addicts in this country!   That's the point, they don't think clearly, and they don't think they NEED help!

People that are prescribed drugs because they need them....need to be responsible and LOCK THEM UP!

Showing 1-10 of total 299 Comments