Twitter Facebook YouTube

2009 Shows

If you're one of the millions of Americans who are struggling through these hard economic times, are you now more willing to turn toward faith to help you make decisions? Dr. Phil and bestselling author Mitch Albom, author of the new book Have a Little Faith, delve into ethical and moral questions about allowing faith to guide us in making the right decisions. Meet Millie, a wife and mother who wants her husband of 12 years, Matthew, to change his religion to hers, but he wants no part of it. Should he agree to make this switch? Next, follow up with Sylvia who was angry with God because her husband, who survived a tour in Iraq, was tragically killed in a car accident when he returned home. See if her outlook has changed. Then, get an update on Pastor Henry Covington who runs I Am My Brother’s Keeper Ministry in Detroit. And, Coach Frank Broyles offers tips for caregivers of Alzheimer's patients.

Find out what happened on the show.
Comments
Replied By: millertas on Jan 19, 2010, 5:30PM
If nothing else Karl Marx else got it right with this quote. Jesus Christ actually rejected the church so why do so called Christians have to go to church. I have met many church going Christians and many say that they actually meet more "Christians" outside church. I personally am an atheist and this was enforced when my 18 year old son who suffered from disability become terribly ill. I prayed, I screamed to god to take me, let my son live. He died 12 May 2008. If there is a god then he has me to answer to. For the poor homeless people who were happy because they have faith I suggest they are high on the opium that Marx talked about. THERE IS NO GOD.

Replied By: moonfrog on Jan 5, 2010, 2:56AM
My dearest Mille, you need not worry about the afterlife, and having to spend eternity without your husband. If you just open your eyes, mind and heart, you will see that the God you believe in, is the same God your husband believes in.
You both pray to the Lord, the God of Abraham, father to both jews and christians (and muslims for that sake), so even though you don't have the same religion, you DO have the same God. That means that you end up in the same place, as long as you have faith and do good deeds.

Replied By: jumunchie on Oct 25, 2009, 8:05AM
Sorry about reposting this.  But, I think it got lost somewhere.  I don't see it anywhere.

I hope you find some level of content in your life before as you say "my life will be over too".  I have battled Depression, Anxiety, cutting, paranoia and mental illnesses throughout my immediate family.  I also gave up my horse and lost trust in almost everyone I have met.  I'd think people were looking at me for reasons probably not based on reality.  I've been on so many medications... I've lost count. 

No illness is easy to deal with.  And, I'm not trying to compare mine with yours... because that isn't fair to do.  Apples and Coconuts really. 

At some point, it is possible to begin to climb out of the hole life has put you in.  I can't tell you when that will happen.  I can't tell you how far you'll have to climb.  In all likely hood, you will stumble before reaching a point where you are actually happy for once.  I know that feeling of always feeling sad and never feeling whole.And, I was always shy in school and lacked the ability to stand up for myself.

The thing about not trusting people is that for a short time, it might actually be working for you.  However, the longer you do it, the more stuck you get.  You begin to become numb (because there is no one to share your feelings with...  save your parents).  And, when they pass, you will have a harder time overcoming your problems.  From a person who hurt herself on purpose... you are in effect doing the same.  Although, I don't think you realize it.

Find something, anything that gets you going.  You have Aspergers, so social situations might not be easy for you.  Start off small.  There are discussion boards on the internet.  You can seek out therapy.  It only takes that first step and I'm telling you, if you really want it, the rest will be relatively easy.

Danielle

Replied By: jumunchie on Oct 22, 2009, 8:45PM - In reply to doomsdaydiva
RE: Why I am horrible and deserve to burn...

I hope you find some level of content in your life before as you say "my life will be over too".  I have battled Depression, Anxiety, cutting, paranoia and mental illnesses throughout my immediate family.  I also gave up my horse and lost trust in almost everyone I have met.  I'd think people were looking at me for reasons probably not based on reality.  I've been on so many medications... I've lost count. 

No illness is easy to deal with.  And, I'm not trying to compare mine with yours... because that isn't fair to do.  Apples and Coconuts really. 

At some point, it is possible to begin to climb out of the hole life has put you in.  I can't tell you when that will happen.  I can't tell you how far you'll have to climb.  In all likely hood, you will stumble before reaching a point where you are actually happy for once.  I know that feeling of always feeling sad and never feeling whole.And, I was always shy in school and lacked the ability to stand up for myself.

The thing about not trusting people is that for a short time, it might actually be working for you.  However, the longer you do it, the more stuck you get.  You begin to become numb (because there is no one to share your feelings with...  save your parents).  And, when they pass, you will have a harder time overcoming your problems.  From a person who hurt herself on purpose... you are in effect doing the same.  Although, I don't think you realize it.

Find something, anything that gets you going.  You have Aspergers, so social situations might not be easy for you.  Start off small.  There are discussion boards on the internet.  You can seek out therapy.  It only takes that first step and I'm telling you, if you really want it, the rest will be relatively easy.

Danielle

Replied By: fourgrandkids on Oct 21, 2009, 3:20PM - In reply to biblegal1
thank you for taking the time to write me back sorry it took so long new at this message boards stuff. i guess there are people who care about others. i will start reading the bible. i first have to buy one. when i get some extra money 

Replied By: marianparoo on Oct 21, 2009, 8:57AM - In reply to 1000wings
Okay, you want to say you accept Jesus as the Messiah, fine.

He's certainly a better choice than that dead guy from Brooklyn!

Oh, and the occupation I was refering to was the occupation of the Judea and Samaria, aka the West Bank.

Replied By: 1000wings on Oct 21, 2009, 5:26AM - In reply to ladyjessica
Im so glad you had the wonderful exsperience to meet such a lady . I so agree with u , many self proffessed Christians can be so horrendously cruel . I wish I could say Ive never exsperienced meeting some of those type ,but unfortunatly I have !

The sad thing is a large majority of the really mean ones Ive encountered have been given a abundance of undeserved mercy for themselves and to say how much they appreciate it  they turn around and do the unthinkable to others around them !

Those are the ones who are so self righteous and  self decieved what can possibly be done to save them from the coming judgment when it becomes more than obvious they have all but trampled the same  grace they  more than desperatly need for them selves , that they denied others the right to have ,   to the ground

It is truly sad to see so many who equate their right standing with God based on religious repititious and often times  ficticious rituals when it is made beyond clear they will be judged according to what their deeds done to others were.

I had a more than horrible exsperience with a particuliar online Catholic group who was in fact pardoned for some rather grave sins themselves no sooner were they granted it ,they then denied many others the same extention of forgiveness and used their free pass of pardon to totally destroy the rights of others about them and divide an entire body of believers busting up a fellowship and did it in more than two known places 

Yet not a one of them have to date held them selves to any accountability what so ever ! worse is knowing how much generous support they collect from the unknowing who simply dont have a clue what they are really suporting ! I

their work done bears the fruit of horrendous destruction !

yet they profess them selves in word and name only (CINO) to be super saints !

Its quite frightening actually how they have mastered useing the catalyst of religion to hide what they are really doing !

Replied By: 1000wings on Oct 20, 2009, 3:51PM - In reply to marianparoo
Marianparoo
did I ever at any time say I was Jewish ?
NO I DID NOT , so please dont represent me as one , that would be your mistake of understanding

.  I am not a Jew By Halacha for your information , I recognize Jesus under Christianity so what some Rabbi thinks I need means little to me .

Im not sure what occupation your for or against as you never stated in any detail what your talking about .

I guess it is a pretty big barrel of fish hooks when the hatred and persecution of the Jewish people that scattered that race of people all over the world has to always be made a religious indifference and about a ocupation .

What I am telling you is if your last name is Jewish it will forever be Jewish I think the name Baruch is as Jewish as it gets ,

please correct me if Im wrong .

The c was replaced with a T ,which represents the cross of Christianity but who knew ?

the fact that some one is Jewish does not mean they were raised Jewish neither does it mean those people are less of Christians .

There have been followers of Jesus Christ  since his death burial and resurection and Jesus was a Jewish carpenter

what does being a believer in Jesus have to do with what some Rabbi thinks I can not know a thing about being Jewish under religion but still be from Jewish bloodline .

Every one has Ancestory mine is not just a big fish story Im sure my people come from some where intresting I find people assume Im under sharia law all the time when Im not ,I do understand even if I still dont like a particuliar race of people being persecuted just because of what they are . My apologies if Ive offended you with differences . Im sure the Jews who followed Jesus were persecuted as well .  Were charged to run the higher race so it is not about what race of people I come from Jesus was for all people for all time even those samaratians the Jews loved to hate
what me worry ?  

Replied By: marianparoo on Oct 20, 2009, 2:10AM - In reply to 1000wings
...you may be a Jew according to Halacha (Jewish Sharia Law), but that's about it. Do you want me to tell you what those fundamentalist rabbis who make Halacha rulings thing about you? They think you need to be taken away to a Jewish equivalent of a Madrasha to be deprogramed.

I'm the one who doesn't care if you want to recognize Jesus as your Messiah, actually, I think he was a better person than that guy from Brooklyn, who died peacefully in bed free from suffering, but sorry Charlie, I am not buying that Jewish bloodline stuff. Despite those fundamentalist rabbis who hate your  guts anyway, it takes more than that to call yourself Jewish.

And I hear that "I'm an antisemite" all the time because I'm against the occupation, but that's another kettle of fish.

Replied By: tonyina on Oct 20, 2009, 1:17AM
I was so intirgued by this particular show that I feel I have to respond. I am a Christian who accepts Yeshua, the Jewish messiah, as his savior. It's not a matter of Jew or Christian but accepting the Jewishness of Jesus and how his time on Earth fulfilled the scriptures. In the early centuries, the belief among Christians was that the Jews had to be converted by fair means or foul. This belief was terribly erroneous and drove a steel wedge between Jew and Christian that is only now being pulled out of the trunk, so to speak, so that the branches can grow back together. Jesus died for all men, not just Christians and I'm here to say any and all are welcome. Matt, you're a wonderful guy to love your wife so much as to encourage her worship of our savior and I know God loves you for it. I don't feel I'm so conversant that I could answer any and all matters, but there's a web site called Messianic Minutes.com as well as a radio program of the same name, that's operated by Rabbi Ted Simon and Jeffrey D. Miller, a former athiest. Their ability to put things into simple terms is second to none in my opinion and I've been listening for a few years now on my way to work every day. They're two Jewish guys who love Jesus as they put it. I'd invite you both to ask God for wisdom, as it says in the book of James, and I believe God will show the way. I really wanted to get this out before I get to sleep.Tony Wright, a long term Dr. Phil fan.   

Showing 1-10 of total 120 Comments