Twitter Facebook YouTube

2009 Shows

Six years ago, viewers were introduced to the Dr. Phil Family -- an all-American family struggling with their pregnant teen's decision to raise her baby or place it for adoption. Dr. Phil worked closely with Alexandra, 15 and pregnant, mother Erin, father Marty and 13-year-old sister, Katherine, to get them through challenging times. Now, a new crisis has them asking for Dr. Phil's help once again. Katherine, now 18, had dreams of going to Harvard and becoming a lawyer, but her path has taken a frightening turn. Erin shares her deepest concerns about her daughter and how she believes this downward spiral began. When pressed by Dr. Phil, will Katherine finally come clean about her life? And, Erin reveals shocking information she recently found out about Katherine that has Dr. Phil extremely concerned. Talk about the show here.

Is Your Daughter Like Katherine from the Dr. Phil Family?

Want Dr. Phil to be Tougher on the Dr. Phil Family?

Find out what happened on the show.
Comments
Replied By: fednurse on Sep 21, 2009, 1:52PM - In reply to adg5957
I am totally bored wth this fam.  Come on Dr Phil, spend some money on another family more worthy.  I certainly wont watch episodes of this. BORING.  They dont deserve the attention or resources.  The  girl needs to go to jail.

Replied By: hairiyam on Sep 21, 2009, 1:48PM - In reply to bchamb1115
Im in houston also and hates that dr phil is no longer on.....is there any other way to watch?

Replied By: pnutsugar on Sep 21, 2009, 1:47PM
Are you frickin' kidding me? 

This girl has manipulated her parents AND Dr. Phil forever, and she's doing it again.  Poor, poor Katherine.  Didn't hear them mention that she attends school, and her mother said she didn't know where she got money for drugs, so I am assuming she doesn't have a job!  She lives at home and has her own car???  She's 18...needs to stop blaming her parents, get a job and get out on her own.   Her parents and Dr. Phil need to stop enabling her.  She whines, cries crocodile tears, is doing drugs, dealing with stolen property, and probably participating in the robberies.  GIVE ME A BREAK!!!  

And all she could say is "how long it took her to get a hold of Dr. Phil!!"   She gets in trouble with the law, lies to them (to save her own ass as well as that of her boyfriend!) and then doesn't think the police and courts are going to fall for her "poor little girl" act and calls Dr. Phil!!!  Yeah..."Dr. Phil...get me out of this!!" Now she says she can't survive in jail.  Don't do the crime if you can't do the crime, sweetheart. 

Dr. Phil....please tell me you saw through her like discount store tissue paper....please!  I don't think I can stomach watching the rest of this!!

Replied By: michealeknight on Sep 21, 2009, 1:45PM
DR. Phil used to be on in Houston, TX everyday @ 3pm on channel 2 KPRC (NBC) it was replaced by Dr. Oz and not put in another time slot or moved to another station. I called channel 2 and Comcast to verify that it was true and it is. Dr. Phil you have alot of dedicated fans in the Houston market please do something. I miss watching your show very much.

Replied By: brendamohle on Sep 21, 2009, 1:45PM
Dear Dr. Phil,

I have a 24-year-old son and an 18-year-old daughter.  Unfortunately, I disagree with your approach on Katherine's issues.   Her Mom said it best when she said "We gave our kids sutff and not boundaries."   This young has escaped the consequences of all her misbehaving in the past and now you intend to help her through the leagl system so that she dosn't face any consequences for this new set of crimes.   She is lying to you about the amount of drugs she is doing.  She is NOT sorry for what she has done...jsut sorry she got caught and glad that you and your TV crew are threre to give her high-profile help.  It would do this girl some good if the judege sees through all the publicity and makes her pay some consequences for her bad behavior.   If either of my children landed in this situation, I would not vbe enabling the behavior by minimizing it.  

Dr. Phil, this is not some sweet young thing who just made a few bad choices.  You should spend your time and resources helping others....not this "cute" little crminal.

Mom suggesting tough love.

Replied By: rabihuh on Sep 21, 2009, 1:44PM
Dear Dr. Phil
I am watching todays show and could not even wait  for the entire show to send this email.  From the beginning I saw this young lady is just being manipulitive, she is driven by what she thinks is LOVE, in addition to that the whole scene seem to be young middle class white children who think they don't have to be accountable to anyone and just using the oppurtunity of YOU to get out of her mess.  I don't feel sorry for them, I don't feel sorry for the young lady, and I don't see this situation changing her at all, just another girl thinking shes going to get away with something.  She did the crime then why not she do the time.  And then being sassy with her mom, and now shes regressed to a child again with the big allegator tears.  That didn't move me at all.  I hope you will be wise and use your influence and contributions to those who really need you and want to follow your advise for real.

Replied By: mandy057 on Sep 21, 2009, 1:35PM
I feel that this girl know exactly what she is doing, what she has done and I don't agree with getting her a lawyer at all.  She has consistantly lied to the police, her family and to Dr Phil.  Dr Phil, have you ever heard of tough love.  She won't listen to anyone and needs to go to jail for a while and meditate about what she has done.  She is manipulating everyone.  Boyfriend needs to get kicked to the curb NOW !!!

Replied By: kathleen27 on Sep 21, 2009, 1:34PM
I have been saying this for years.  CPS castrates parents, but once that "CHILD" turns 18, the society that allowed all of nose thumbing, will throw you right in JAIL!
Katherine's arrest came as no shock to me.  Erin was undermined years ago when she lost her temper with these girls.  EVERYTHING Erin was saying was her duty as a mother to have said. 
This pukey parenting is producing monsters, then as we have see, criminals.    IN NO WAY do I condone abuse, HOWEVER, that word is being thrown around to an extent where it has become a cancer eating away at any form of structure, compassion,  respect within families.  Funny, the Police weren't charged with "abuse".  Poor Katherine...they "got in her face".  Maybe years back, her parents should have gotten in her face to inform her that as part of a FAMILY, she OWED her sister compassion, OWED her FAMILY respect, and started to look outside of herself.
The sappy letter she wrote asking to be adopted...I shut the T.V.  That girl was a spoiled brat then, and she's a lying drug abuser now.  Sorry to be saying this, but I have seen too much of this, once parents had to "UNDERSTAND" beyond the point of what is normal.  She was high on drugs...having lied and having had to sneak out of her friend's home.  I'd LOVE the responsibility of having her as my 15 year old house guest.
IF I had EVER EVER behaved like that, I wouldn't have been able to sit for a week.
I have NEVER been arrested, cuffed or scared to death that I may do time.  I never smoked dope.  I was NOT abused...I was not neglected, but I was disclipined from an early age.  My parents did NOT carry an Emily Post handbook when they spoke to me.
Yelling is not abuse, in my opinion.  Abuse is in NOT yelling, NOT spanking, molly coddling, and allowing children to run the show when they totally lack the maturity to do so.
Sorry Dr.Phil  I never agreed with pukey parenting.
No, NEVER use belts, boards or do things that only crazy people do.
There is a middle ground, and after today, I KNOW that I'd rather have a sore rear than meet with Katherine's fate.
This new "parenting" does not work.  One look at society tells it all.
Children need to be part of a family, given responsibilities, show compassion, and follow the house rules.  With RIGHTS come responsibilities, things ARE the childs' fault, and parents cannot be the scape goats that they have allowed themselves to be "guilted" into being.
I hope this girl's life isn't ruined, but she sure learned fast that lies, tears, and mommie bashing got her to manipulate situations into getting her own way.
She did a great job, and now, at 18, mommie bashing and whining about needing attention aren't going to work.
How cruel is it to raise children  as if they are fragile crystal icons, only to see them smashed once they are 18 and  reality hits them in the face?
NOBODY can have attention all of the time, excuses made, parents blamed, then turn into responsible adults.
I am SO happy my children are in college. 
I would never even THINK of having a family today .  Abusers are growing in numbers, while potentially decent parents are being castrated by CPS. 
It's sick, it's passive abuse, and Katherine is just a publicized example of how well this "stroking" works.

Replied By: momisme2 on Sep 21, 2009, 1:28PM
Watching Erin today, along with  all the old clips (not to mention Kat) had me crying! I remember the very begining of this series thinking to myself, "WHAT is WRONG with her?? HOW can she be so hard and distant??" Its inspiring to see how much someone can change with just a bit of help, support, consideration and compassion. She has earned my respect!! :)

Erin, listening to you today, im wondering about "mom guilt". Like you, I have an 18yo daughter as well as a 21 yo son(plus an 11 yo son :) and I know a bit about "mom guilt". Im not about to sit here and tell you to "let it go... give it up..." or all those other things people so easily say. Hell! I still feel bad/guilty about things I did when my older kids were young that they dont even REMEMBER! Ive apologized for them, and they laugh and ask me what am I talking about? They may not remember, but I do. I would do anything to take back my mistakes! Which, of course, is where the "mom guilt comes into play.

Something ive learned about mom guilt(other than I dont know if some moms can ever really let it go) is that if I make decisions *based* in this guilt, they are always wrong ones. I heard you speak about how in the past you parented wrong and such, and I have to wonder if you havent been a bit easier on Kat than by rights you might should have been out of guilty feelings of past parenting mistakes? I dont know if that has anything to do with whats gone on with Kat these past few years, but figured I would throw it out there and let you decide for yourself. ;)

Replied By: phyllisvr on Sep 21, 2009, 1:26PM
I would like to start out by saying that I never want to see a child (yes 18 is still a child)  in trouble with the law.  I have two adult children that are in law enforcement.  Katherine seemed angry at the police for doing there job, and Dr Phil did not address that.  So the big bad policemen were questioning her boo, hoo.  So the big bad police have been watching her everyday, again boo hoo. I think Katherine thinks the police should treat her as her parents have, letting her get away with what ever she wants.  She stated that she would not servive in prison.  If she doesn't make some serious changes, that will be the least of her worries.  Katherine has some big problems that need to be taken care of, but she needs to take responsiblity for her own actions.   

Showing 201-210 of total 251 Comments