2009 Shows

Dr. Phil hits the road to kick off an all-new season! First stop: New York City! From park benches and pizza parlors to bridal boutiques and taxicabs, he tackles big questions from the Big Apple. He meets with singles who are looking for love, brides-to-be planning their dream weddings, pays a visit to the queen of soul food and more! Don't miss his Season 8 premiere from New York City on Tuesday! Join the discussion.

Find out what happened on the show.
Comments
Replied By: idontgivadam on Sep 16, 2009, 9:03AM - In reply to monkeyrn
What's the payoff   - has been haunting me since I watched that show.   While I'll agree there is a payoff - there just may be more than that behind it.  I must admit that our apartment looks the same as her house.  But I'm not as giddy or so eager to show it off to the whole world.  I admit that both  my husband and I have our packrat tendancies. I need "HELP". I am willing to decluter and to eliminate a lot.  I have tryed and tryed and tryed again but after 2 to 3 min.s on my feet there is such pain radiating through my back, legs and feet that just makes me want to screem.  My husband helps when he can yet with his bad back and visual handcap there's not much that he can do to help.  We both have Mediacare and Medicade and I know from when I worked as  a HHA / CNA  that  such help has come from these  sources before.  I 'VE ASKED AND ASKED FOR HELP  but it's like shouting in the forrest - where noone hears you.  I know I'm dyslexic and also suspect I'm AADD. As much as I'd like to have a neet and tidy home  - I fear  that I'll never ever see it  in this life time.

Replied By: sisterinnyc on Sep 16, 2009, 8:25AM - In reply to anurse
Hi!  I am the sister that Dr. Phil interviewed that day in NYC.   There is so much more to my story!  I was an only child...my mother was never supposed to have children and then suddenly got pregnant at 39.  She did not know that my dad was married and had another family.  She never spoke of my dad and even kept information from me about my dad.  Then she passed away suddenly when I was 16.  All information went with her.  I had no way to knowing who or where my dad was....I had always thought he had just abandoned me at birth.  After graduating from optometry school,  I hired 2 PIs to find my dad but without a birthdate or SS# it was nearly impossible to find him!  I wasn't even sure how to spell his name!  I found him by luck:  posting a note on a message board on mygeneology.com that my half brother saw 5 years later.  Then it took me another 4 years to find HIS posting.  By the time I found my dad, he had been gone (passed away) for 10 years....I regret never getting to know him.  Since, I have found out he really didn't abandon me (long story), I have 4 half-siblings, one who still is hesitant to get to know me.   But overall I am so happy that I was able to connect with them!  I feel so much better now, I can't even describe the emotions.  The point is this:  time is going to march on no matter what...don't wait too long.  Something could happen to your sister before you find her and you will have lost the opportunity to know her.  My new sister is AMAZING!  She and I immediately hit it off and I know longer feel alone in this world.  I may not be as wise as Dr. Phil, but from my experience, I would tell you to go for it!  I have found so much joy and closure since I found my siblings.  My only regret is not being able to meet my father...but my brother and sister have filled me in and I know now how wonderful of a man he was.  It is a great feeling to know that he was a wonderful father and also where my children get some of their traits.  I look forward to seeing Dr. Phil's advice on this, but I say don't waste any time....Family is too important to put on hold :)

Replied By: sisterinnyc on Sep 16, 2009, 8:09AM - In reply to bbunny
Hi!  I am one of the sisters interviewed that day.  I think he will reveal his answer on Thursday.  BTW, his advice was spot on...he took a thorough background and I could tell he really cared about our situation.  I would tell you what he said, but I don't want to ruin their show or get Dr Phil mad at me ....Honestly, while he was telling us in person his advice, I was on the edge of my seat! 

Replied By: marydegnan on Sep 16, 2009, 8:06AM
When you were asked that question I believe your answer was "if anything happened to my kids you'd have to take me to the dump!"

What do you do if no one will take you  to the dump?????????? I lost my only son last year,to an anurism.  He was 37 yrs old, his wife delivered thier 2nd little girl 3 days after his sudden death.  The doctor in the ER sent him home with a script for Nexium. My son begged not to be discharged because he knew something was terribly wrong.  The ER Drs. comment was my son didn't fit the profile to do an ultasound........ 
I still have a wonderful supportive family 2 beautiful daughters (one of which was his twin) 9 grandchildren........I so deperately want to be taken to the dump...............what do you do if you can't get there??????  

Replied By: getrealtime on Sep 16, 2009, 6:34AM
WoW this is the Docs opening season show and he only gets 46 posts? I'm guessing he should of not stayed away from the election and what is going on in this country. 1.7 million marched on Washington and thats not counting hundreds of thousands that gathered in small towns and cities across our nation worried about where we are headed and how can we afford to live in this new Admin. For the first time ever in this country parents are worried about their children's future in this nation that the debt is rising and falling in the trillions directly on our childrens back. The kitchen tables are filled with worries of what do I got to give up now just to pay the basics to live. The Doc needs to take his own advice and stop ignoring what is on the minds of his views, and stop feeding the peacock and start feeding his viewers

Replied By: monkeyrn on Sep 15, 2009, 10:49PM
Dr Phil said on the show there's a place on DrPhil.com to ask him any personal questions about him that he'll answer later.  I can't find the link to ask him. 

Replied By: monkeyrn on Sep 15, 2009, 10:44PM
I don't agree completely with Dr Phil regarding that lady with the messy house.   Much of my house is just as bad.  Yes, SOME is because I don't want to part with things I've paid for, but much is just because I am just so disorganized and I don't know where to put things especially my grown daughter's things (she still lives with me at age 31 and most of the mess is hers).  There's also no man around here and when we've bought things like storage shelves and even some chairs that need assembled--they just had to be thrown out since we just can't put them together!  Things pile up and just looking at it is overwhelming and then we don't know where to start so we don't.  I don't believe it's anything to do with control or FROM anxiety.  It does CAUSE anxiety.  One thing someone suggested that makes sense--they suspect I'm really a perfectionist and since I can't get it all done right and all in a short time, that I just don't do it at all.  Maybe that's that gal's problem too.   And we need a man to help do the heavy items.  Or money to even pay for the junk man to come! 

Replied By: anurse on Sep 15, 2009, 7:37PM - In reply to bbunny
To be told the answer to the question about telling the 80 year old mom, would be shared before the end of the show and then to have the show close without it was very annoying. I even rewound my tivo to see if I had missed it. What a waste of time. I have a very similar situation with my mom and a daughter she had before I was born that she refuses to share information about and has no interest in finding. I want to know if I should search for the woman or wait until my mother has passed to look for her so as not to upset my mom who also happens to be 80. I hope Dr. Phil answers this question at the top of his next show and puts our inquiring minds out of our misery.

Replied By: bbunny on Sep 15, 2009, 5:55PM - In reply to lorib64
Somehow Dr. Phil remembered to tell his greatest fear but forgot about whether to tell the 83 year old her husband had another daughter. Hope this will be just a one time thing and in future programs will reveal answers promised.

Replied By: lorib64 on Sep 15, 2009, 5:36PM - In reply to julescook52
Did he say they should tell their Mother or not? I missed it.

Showing 21-30 of total 70 Comments