Twitter Facebook YouTube

2009 Shows

If your loved one has an unusual behavior, does that mean he or she is not normal? Dustin says when his wife, Gina, goes shopping, her behavior is not normal, and her habitual need to return her purchases, among other things, has gotten so extreme he wants a divorce. What’s at the root of Gina’s ways? Is her behavior really related to shopping, or is there something deeper driving her behavior? Next, Ryan says his wife’s idea to pay off their debt is risky, dangerous and could kill her. Will Dr. Phil’s stern warning make this wife and mom change her plans? Then, Billy has had 30 jobs in seven years, and his mom says that’s not normal. Is Billy just lazy, or is there another reason he can’t keep a job? And, take a quiz to see how normal you are! Join the discussion.

Find out what happened on the show.
Comments
Replied By: rocknrhonda on Nov 26, 2012, 9:18AM
I was married to a man for 17 years who had this very problem.  It was maddnes!!! He not only destroyed our  marriage, he destroyed our entire lives. I would tell anyone living with someone like this to cut them loose before you lose everything, like I did.

"Mr. Stroke", I will call my now, ex-husband for the sake of my comment today as a response to this show.

I don't even know where to begin with his anticks to cover it all up.He went to the point of never letting me get the mail or answer the phone. It was a constant workout for me because he liked to make me think that I was losing my mind.I bought over $700.00 worth of telephones because I couldn't figure out why they weren't saving my messages. He was behind my back changing the passwords.

"Mr. Stroke" forced out to refinace our home three times to cover his spending. He was heading for a fourth when I noticed that his behavior became more or more erractic. Deep down I new something was going on but couldn't put my finger on it. He was getting mean and I couldn't take his lies anymore. During an argument I said to him, "that one day, he would have a heart attack, a stroke our an accident. And then, I would find out because he wouldn't be able to hide his secret anymore."

About three weeks after that argument, he had a stroke. And yes, I began to find out. We were over $180,000 dollars in debt. I nursed him back to health,  believing that we would have to take responsiblity for his actions. Instead, he refused to admit what he had done to the point of telling our family, friends and our church community enourmous lies about me. This most affected our teenage daugther. She could not understand how, turn on her mother that way. "Missy" saw how they turned away from me and ostricized me. Many of these people,  were from the same church she grew up in. At that point, she lost faith in her Christian upbringing.

"Mr. Strokes" behavior was taking it's toll on all of us. While we were all in counseling, he refused to go. Divorce was the only option left for me and our children to survive emotionally.  Life was over as we knew it. Family, friends and church community, were choosing sides. I still don't know where all the money went.

Now...had he died from his stroke, the debt would have been paid and our children would have been able to stay in their home. We could have all gone to college and lived compfortably. People would have felt sorry for me. Instead, I lost my job and am now virtually homeless. I am starting over and have very little hope for my future.

Moral of my story.

Run as far and as fast as you can when you find that your "loved one"  is detroying you. Financially, emtionally or physically. It only gets worse the longer you wait.

Replied By: sobarthia on Jun 23, 2010, 9:50AM
I believe that what is truly not normal is the belief that a person must suffer for years. basically go through hell in order to become a normal person and a productive member of society. Nobody would dare deny  the innate truth that our compassion our understanding and our inner sight must remain as it was when we were all young only through the responability of an adult in order to ever find both eternal peace as well as inner peace in life. Our society always taught the individual first getting there very fast and very high instead of the team play the human unite; and what truly amazes me is you all have the unfathomable audacity to dislike the finished product that all your own beliefs created. So that being the truth Dr. Phil: please tell me why Asia and many other countries are so fare ahead of most of the Western world if this way of teaching of ours is so good.

Replied By: cadescove99 on Oct 23, 2009, 11:32AM - In reply to misskimmy2
Some stores, I think Wal*Mart is one, keep records of returns so they can track those who do it in excess and quit allowing them to return anything. Especially when they rarely, if ever, present a receipt. If there's no receipt, Wal*Mart will give store credit, as a gift card, instead of a cash refund. But, they stop doing even this, if the "customer" is always returning things.

Replied By: cadescove99 on Oct 22, 2009, 3:03PM - In reply to fluffyfat
Hi! I'm glad you were finally able to post a few comments on this new board. Still like the older format better, where, when you reply to another user's post, it's quoted in yours. It keeps everything in context, and perspective, this way. I do like the other features the old board didn't have, though, such as blogs. But, I've replied to (Dr Phil family)  Alex, Erin, and Katherine's blogs, quite nice comments, actually, and the staff never added them. Just can't understand why. I think all three would have felt encouraged by my comments. A lot of people resent Dr Phil's having this family back on, but I don't mind. It beats some of the whack jobs he had on last season. Wish he'd do more shows on weight and nutrition. Which would benefit so many of us. My email address is in my profile if you'd like to contact me.

Replied By: misskimmy2 on Sep 26, 2009, 8:04AM
I believe that this woman is a glorified THIEF!  If I, an African-American woman tried to return as many items and she does on a daily basis, with all the retail stores knowing me when they see me I would not last a week (FREE).

I would have to face the law immediately and I believe this is what this woman needs in her life.

She needs to find out what happens to thieves and I believe she will take another look at her life and get a serious reality check!

My goodness!  How does she get away with this in her town and on national TV?

What about her children?  Most of the folks I i know, in the (hood) kids would be in a foster home by now!

Come on Fair is Fair!

Replied By: BrianX29 on Sep 21, 2009, 6:07PM
    We should really consider how we define Normal. Whats normal for one person may not be normal for someone else.
    If what your doing is normal for you and it doesnt bother anyone else then I dont see what the big deal is  about what is normal..........

Replied By: doomsdaydiva on Sep 17, 2009, 7:34AM
I took the quiz the other day and wasn't surprised to discover that I'm not normal at all. I only got one question right-the one about how many times the average person laughs a day (actually that's how many times adults laugh, children usuallly laugh a lot more, go figure), but that's because I read about it recently. But when I saw some of the correct answers like how many partners men and women have I am personally glad not to be "normal"  People sleeping around that much is average and I'm the one with a disorder?? Ha!! I have Asperger's, I'm 35 and still a virgin, I have viturally no interest in sex, love or relationships, I despise alcohol and have never even tried a cigarette, I collect dolls and stuffed animals and I cannot stand wearing many kinds of fabric and clothing and the makeup and cometics that are supposed to make you look young and radiant feel greasy, oily and filthy on my skin. But if that does not make me "normal" than I'm proud to be that way. It's putting up with all the fools in the world who want me to act normal I have absolute hatred doing.

Replied By: doomsdaydiva on Sep 17, 2009, 7:33AM
I took the quiz the other day and wasn't surprised to discover that I'm not normal at all. I only got one question right-the one about how many times the average person laughs a day (actually that's how many times adults laugh, children usuallly laugh a lot more, go figure), but that's because I read about it recently. But when I saw some of the correct answers like how many partners men and women have I am personally glad not to be "normal"  People sleeping around that much is average and I'm the one with a disorder?? Ha!! I have Asperger's, I'm 35 and still a virgin, I have viturally no interest in sex, love or relationships, I despise alcohol and have never even tried a cigarette, I collect dolls and stuffed animals and I cannot stand wearing many kinds of fabric and clothing and the makeup and cometics that are supposed to make you look young and radiant feel greasy, oily and filthy on my skin. But if that does not make me "normal" than I'm proud to be that way. It's putting up with all the fools in the world who want me to act normal I have absolute hatred doing.

Replied By: lauren5389 on Sep 16, 2009, 12:05PM - In reply to shaundeb
Someone mentioned Aspergers Syndrome the show aired and the symptoms describe Billy to a T.  Check it out and blessings to you in your search for help

Replied By: lauren5389 on Sep 14, 2009, 7:08PM - In reply to kennysmom
Billy has gone through some expensive psychological testing and has had physicals throughout his life.  Now he has no insurance coverage, and as a single mother with limited resources I am not sure where to proceed next.  I do appreciate your feedback and I will continue my research with that in mind. The life coach is a bandaid on a gushing wound.   

Showing 1-10 of total 58 Comments