Twitter Facebook YouTube

2009 Shows

You’ve lost your job, you’re about to lose your house, your savings account is empty and the bills are piling up. The current economic downturn is dragging more and more people into a state of financial panic. Dr. Phil puts together a squad of recession survival experts to help you conquer this money crisis. Top job recruiter Tony Beshara, financial planner Robert Pagliarini and money guru Mary Hunt help a couple devise a plan to overcome their financial burdens. Talk about the show here.

Find out what happened on the show.
Comments
Replied By: cadescove99 on Sep 12, 2009, 10:20AM - In reply to bohemiangarnet
I have no sympathy for John and Rebecca, none whatsoever! While you anticipated, and adjusted to the economic downturn, these folks just continued living in La La Land, pretending they were rich, while the bottom fell out of the real estate market. Living to the very edge of, if not beyond, their means.
If they hadn't blown all that money they blew on expensive trips, $200 meals out, and that $800-a-month private school, but put it into savings, John and Rebecca wouldn't be down to their last $20, facing foreclosure, and whining about putting their son and daughter in public school.
Why does Dr Phil keep having these kind of guests? Who, by living beyond their means, dig themselves into a financial hole? And, just keep on digging?  Why not guests most people can actually relate to, who have been living within their means and are beginning to suffer financial hardships not of their own making, due to the economic downturn.
Time to get real again, Dr Phil.

Replied By: clbm562 on Sep 8, 2009, 2:05PM
Experts can talk all they want to about getting a job and how to get jobs but one thing is never discussed.  If you are over 60, NO ONE wants to hire you.  Even though you are qualified with 30 years of experience, they will not hire older people.  And that is a sad fact.  People over 60 are still qualified.  I can handle a computer like no one else.  But I can't get a job.  I got sick of trying.  It was too depressing to keep going like that and keep getting turned down.  I know the game they are playing.  And it's illegal.  But those hiring do it anyway.  We are more qualified than someone in their 20s with experience.  I hate it.

Replied By: bohemiangarnet on Sep 2, 2009, 11:55PM
This family really does not have a clue.  It's like they have their fingers in their ears and are chanting LaLaLaLaLaLaLa.

I also disagree with Dr. Phil.  I (and other members of my family) believe this couple wasted stupendous amounts of money on their vacations. 

We haven't been on a vacation (nor a honeymoon!) in the entirety of our marriage.  We do however own 14 vehicles free and clear, have two years food storage in our pantry, and our mortgage should be paid off 15 years early.

When my husband had to leave a $60K a year job about a year ago, we took $10K and put him into business for himself, successfully, during this current economic down turn.  Now every member of our family is self employed.

We don't have a single credit card bill.  Not a single other debt, other than our mortgage, and a few monthly bills we have not yet been able to do away with (phone, electric, internet).

Soon enough, our farm will be completelyself sufficient, providing 90% of our food, and all of our water, electric, and heat.  We will continue to pay for luxuries like cell phones, and internet, because we enjoy them, and my husband and I use them for work.  Our only other bill we cannot do away with will be taxes.  We will even be able to make our own fuel to keep our farm vehicles running.

These people piddled money away on vacations, clothes, cars and other drivel, which means NOTHING if you have not looked out for the security of your family. 

$200 for a dinner out?  We didn't even spend that to feed the guests for our wedding.  We had a formal sit down dinner, which my mother and I cooked.  I even made my own wedding cake (something all brides use to do, to show their cooking skills).

My mother is a real estate agent.  I well understand exactly what these people do.  My mother hasn't had a sale in 18 months, the market is so depressed in our area.  Yet we have good food on our table, our bills are paid, and our stress level is low.  

We saw how the economy was going to turn over a year ago.  At that point, the three of us, my husband, mother, and myself, talked.  We made a plan, and combined households, and farms, cutting our expenses in 1/2 a year ago.  Living multi generational use to be the norm.  It is now going to be the norm in our family for the rest of our lives.

Our family comes above all else.  The parents on the show are no more mature than their own children.  They need to grow up and get a clue.

~Garnet 

Replied By: bepositive33 on Sep 2, 2009, 11:23PM - In reply to bookshopmom
So your statement of and I quote "but this family doesn't get it!  They will soon learn what is important and what isn't" was not judgemental, I think you have a lot to learn, get real.  If you really want to help someone do it in a positive way without making judgemental statements.

Replied By: bookshopmom on Sep 2, 2009, 6:17PM - In reply to bepositive33
I was not here to critize anyone to feel better about myself.  I was only giving another suggestion.  You have no idea how hard every day is here.....I was trying to make the point that they haven't reached the bottom yet , not if they have money for baseball and parties, and they have a chance of not falling into debt hell.  But, they have to realize they need to hang onto every extra dollar they have until they each get a job.  Like I said we all need to help one another.  

Replied By: bepositive33 on Sep 2, 2009, 8:52AM - In reply to bookshopmom
If you really want to help and inspire other don't be so judgemental.  Who are you and all the others making negative comments to judge this family.  Are you perfect?  I give them credit for going on the show and opening up their lives and being honest, even if you don't agree with their choices.  People have nothing better to do with their time than to criticize others to make themselves feel better.

Replied By: bookshopmom on Sep 2, 2009, 6:51AM
I thought the show was very interesting, but this family doesn't get it!  They will soon learn what is important and what isn't....little league in theory is great, but NOT practical.  A birthday party for a small child that costs $175.00...NOT practical....kids aren't impressed by how much money is spent!  Some of the most fun parties for our kids were treasure hunts, we gave them their OWN PERSONAL clues and trails to follow.  The prizes many times were just fun little (CHEAP) things, but it was the thrill of the hunt! As far as a PRIVATE SCHOOL...out of the question....HOME SCHOOLING was so much fun!  I got to have my kids with me everyday, and I knew what they were learning.  There are many homeschool groups and the support is so MUCH BETTER than the public school option.  Believe me, you don't have to spend a lot of money to teach your kids.   (Plus I got to schedule the field trips...they were so much fun and informative.)  Now my kids are in college and all working toward some sort of degree, or TWO.   They are getting money for college through scholarships, working, and once in a great while my husband and I can pay for some books.  But they get it...they understand that they weren't born with a silver spoon in their mouth. But we couldn't love them more!

Mary Hunt has helped us over the years through her books, in fact I try to keep a few copies of  "The Complete Cheapskate" to give to friends to read.  Mary Hunt was only allowed a short period of time on the show.  Her story is wonderful and EXTREMELY helpful!  Believe me, we are living day to day here, my husband and I started our own business and it is so young that we are still funding it in some way every month.  My husband still has a full-time job and my full-time job was just reduced by 25%  - time and salary.   Although we both have outside jobs, the situation at each entity is simply day-to-day, we are just grateful to have one more day on the job.  

We don't go out to dinner, lunch, breakfast, we don't take vacations, take drives, or go out for coffee.  We just work, worry and try to sleep.  

This is a time for us to hang in there and try to help each other as much as possible.  So my suggestion for everyone on this board....get a copy of Mary's book "The Complete Cheapskate" (I find them in the used book section of the Christian book store) and really study it. 

And,  Keep Praying!

I have constant chest pains from anxiety and sometimes feel like I would just like to stay asleep...but that would be the easy way out!   So like Dr. Phil says...We are all in this together...we can do this!

Hope something I have written will help someone.....

Replied By: vvjones2323 on Sep 1, 2009, 7:13PM
I was so appalled at this family. I could not believe that these people were so self centered that they would pay for private school and not for a place to live. They just spent 300 on little league and are poor as hell!! Don't come on national tv crying because your broke and now can't keep your light son when you just spent money on a birthday party and little league. That's just to pathetic!! What kind of parents spend 800 a month for school but let the medical insurance for their kids go. HOW DARE YOU put your own selfish needs above these children's health, just so you can look like you still have money to send your kids to the best schools. Vacations, luxury cars, private schools are way out of your reach now, so STOP BEING MATERIALISTIC!!

Replied By: lluviadesol1 on Sep 1, 2009, 6:38PM - In reply to myangel101
cash4books.net

Replied By: jacquebill on Sep 1, 2009, 5:38PM - In reply to gypsy2
I totally agree.  I have never written in before, but really felt Dr. Phil missed the mark on this one.

For him to say " they are not blowing money or going crazy" -- is way off base.  That is exactly what they were doing.  Expensive cars, schools, clothes, vacations, etc.  These are the kind of people who got this economy right where it is today.

The advise was good, but to not put the blame where it belongs was wrong.

I have adult children who are barely getting by, using store food coupons, cutting back ( example: no house phone ), of course, public school, Target clothes, etc. I"m PROUD OF THEM.

Sorry, Dr. Phil, you got this one wrong.

Showing 1-10 of total 32 Comments