Twitter Facebook YouTube

2009 Shows

(Original Air Date: 11/12/02) Are you shuttling the kids back and forth to school, doing all the household chores, paying too many bills and struggling to keep your marriage together? Watch this memorable show from Season 2 of Dr. Phil, and learn how to simplify, improve and re-engineer your life. Ed and Ginger had two kids, three dogs, two cats, two cars, one lizard and a big house. They called their life a circus and filed for bankruptcy. Dr. Phil shares advice for getting their household — and their finances — back on track? Then, Andrew and Carol were engaged and about to blend their families. Carol considered herself a supermom and said her plate was so full, she didn't even have time to plan her own wedding! Did she learn to slow down and take time for herself? Plus, newlyweds Aaron and Julie said they constantly bickered over money. Aaron wanted to pay off his wife's debt, but she insisted on spending money on her hair and nails instead. Don't miss Dr. Phil's tough love for this couple. Join the discussion.

Find out what happened on the show.
Comments
Replied By: acraziea on Aug 15, 2009, 4:28PM - In reply to misspaula
Dr Phil used the wrong term when speaking to this woman the correct term is Karoshi. Plenty of info on the internet about it if you are interested.

Replied By: dogkisser on Aug 7, 2009, 9:09AM - In reply to webbillness
When I was watching this show and Dr. Phil was saying that this couple had to get rid of the pets I was absolutely blown away!  He would never say this about any of this couple's children!!  Pets are part of the family - there are millions of animals killed every year in shelters across the country - and Dr. Phil is telling these people to add their pets to that population - because that is what would happen - these animals would die in shelters.  Shame on Dr. Phil!! 

I hope that since 2002 when this show first aired that Dr. Phil has become a bit more compassionate about pets in times of financial crisis and has learned that sometimes those are the family  members that actually get people THROUGH the hard times!

Pets are a birth to death committment - and when you bring them into your home - you are agreeing to take care of them until their last breath - just like when you bring a child into the world.    So what if it costs $560 a year per pet?  How much does a child cost?    I bet a refrigerator costs a little less than that - maybe this family should get rid of their refrigerator instead.

Again - I sincerely hope that since 2002 Dr. Phil has learned about compassion for family pets - and if he hasn't - then there's a lot of people in the animal advocate community who would love to share some information with him.

Joan Sinden

Replied By: webbillness on Aug 5, 2009, 8:03AM - In reply to tshouse
I think pets that can't afford should be taken to shelter I myself wouldn't own a pet due to the fact.  One they do cost alot and they provide nothng to me I donate every year aspca in my area and do the dog walk to keep up shelters expensive but, no room in my life and I know they are expensive and short lived.  For people they are perfect they give love support and companionship I am no one of those people but, it does hurt here statements like that.  It should be thought before hand not after the fact people need to understand what is required with ownership of animal.  They require yearly check ups and vet bills and food daily traning and this all is an expense if you can't do it then I suggest don't get a pet especially because they are cute or different like a snake.

Replied By: tkaz65 on Aug 4, 2009, 9:33PM
I'm rootin for you guys!  I am already using alot of Dr. Phil's advice in my home so I can stay out of debt.  You have NO idea how much easier you will breath in a matter of just a few months when you realize that you don't have tons of bills each month. You guys can do it!!  Keep at it, you will get through it, just apply those rules from Dr. Phil or go get a Suze Orman smackdown!  You are a beautiful family.

Replied By: misspaula on Aug 4, 2009, 7:55PM
What was the japanese term that dr. phil used for when you do too much and you burn yourself out physically? I think this is why my husband has ms.

Replied By: sandarajean on Aug 4, 2009, 7:39PM
Pets are not something that should be given up so easily. These people can do a LOT to save money before they need to think about rehoming living things that they are responsible for. Life is sacred and pets are not a game system or a pair of shoes. There are not enough loving homes out there for the pets that people don't want. I would love to see you do a show on how serious an issue pet ownership is. Again, they are LIVING things and yes they may find another home but that means a pet of a real homeless person may need to be euthanized. I'm not saying that there is no good reason to give up your pet, but when you take on the responibility of a living thing,  it sends a bad message to children if you put the  living thing is on the same level of importance as name brand clothes, cable tv, or eating out.

Replied By: mamadove on Aug 4, 2009, 3:31PM
Dear Dr. Phil

I was just watching your show (living beyond your means) . I have to admit that the pain was overwhelming. See I was one of those super mom. And here I am twenty years later: My body went on over loud, ended up physically ill, my three girls don’t really want to have a relationship with me ( they are angry with me). My husband and I divorced after twenty-one years. This is where all my efforts lift me. I only hope that my story gives a super mom a wake up call.

Replied By: gottago50138 on Aug 4, 2009, 3:12PM
I realize this program today was previously recorded, but you said something today that I have said for several years & I wish you could tell it to our president & all the congress & United States officials.<WE CAN'T BORROW OUR WAY OUT OF DEBT>
These give away programs are going to be the falling of the U.S.A.
I've always lived with the belief, If I can't pay for it I don't need it, most everyone is abusing credit.
I've ran 5 businesses in my life, I've borrowed lots of money from the bank, but it was to make more money. Not to buy toys or accessories. Mine was for necessity's
by the way every thing I own is paid for.
I really enjoy your show & watch it every time I can, you really do a lot of good for people in this country. thanks Dave

Replied By: enviegirl on Aug 4, 2009, 3:06PM
In today's show Dr. Phil said something to the effect of: when you want to change something you need to be willing to challenge everything. I love that! II had never really thought about it in that way. When something has ever been off in my life I have always tried to look for some singular thing I can find to change, but now I am going to sit down and really try to look at everything.

My challenge is nothing like the ones on the show today, but this is just proof that you can get new perspective from any situation. Thanks for your showing this episode again, Dr. Phil!

Replied By: fundir51 on Aug 4, 2009, 2:48PM - In reply to tshouse
I totally agree with regard to the family pets.  The pets are part of the family and if we need to scrimp in other areas to have the three dogs and one cat then we will do just that.  I have seen too many pets be taken to the shelter just because the family cannot afford them.  In our home town once the pet is taken to the shelter the chances of it finding another home is zero, they kill about 300 per week.  The word is kill not put down or some other phrase that will make us feel better, the end result is the animal is dead.  If the children want the pet then they should get some type of job to help pay for them yard work etc.  Yes the family should count the cost prior to getting the animal.  So Dr. Phil I have agreed with a lot of things on your shows but NOT this one. 

Showing 1-10 of total 17 Comments