Twitter Facebook YouTube

2009 Shows

(Original Air Date: 05/16/03) Do you think the grass is greener on the other side of the fence? Today's guests find out if it is as they trade for a day, and Dr. Phil gets in on the act too! One woman sees overweight people as lazy and arrogant. Will wearing a 300-pound suit for a day change her attitude? Plus, a stay-at-home mom finds out if the life of a trash collector is more exciting than her own. And don’t miss Dr. Phil pulling 7 G’s with the Blue Angels! Talk about the show here.

Find out what happened on the show.
Comments
Replied By: mollynich on Aug 16, 2009, 8:27PM - In reply to irisheyes222
Thats awesome that you go to the gym and keep up a healthy lifestyle! I am a vegan and eat an organic gluten free diet myself. (locally grown when possible)  I applaud ANYONE at I see at the gym or yoga studio regardless of age, size, ability, etc. Keep it up!!

Replied By: irisheyes222 on Aug 14, 2009, 4:23PM - In reply to mollynich
I agree that it is unfair for other to judge you, especially after six years, however, I did take some offense to what you said on the show.  I am not trying to judge you, i generally dont judge others, but i think it is an offensive remark to say overweight people, or fat people, are selfish and lazy, among other things.  I do see the point you were trying to make on the show, and i do agree with that point, that people are what they eat, and that if a child grows up eating nothing but sweets and fast food they will never lead a healthy lifestyle.  And I am glad to see that you underwent a social experiment in a fat suit for a day.  I could honestly see you trying to understand what it is like.  I am an overweight woman, and I would like you to think for a minute tho about something, not to judge you by all means, but for me personally, and i know for many women, eating right and exercise just doesnt work.  I am jealous of those obese people that can walk for a year and drop 100lbs, that is not the case for me.  I have polycystic ovarian syndrome, which causes my weight gain, and i cannot lose it.  I hate the stares i get when I go to the gym.  I am an active person, always have been, played sports, had a well balenced diet, but it never seemed to do anything, I just got bigger and bigger, until I was diagnosed when i was 13 and am now 21.  There is a long road ahead of me in my weight loss, and I am, and have been, prepared for this.  I would really like you to think about the statements you made on that show, wheather it aired this year or six years ago.  And if your opinion has changed then congratulations.  And if obesity really touches you, please help others, make a stand for healthy living!! I try my hardest everyday, I hold my head up, and each day is sometimes a struggle, but with support and help, anyone can make a change!!!

Replied By: mollynich on Aug 10, 2009, 3:33PM
This is the best article Ive come across

:http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/32306655/ns/health-health_care/

Replied By: iluvtaknpics on Aug 7, 2009, 5:11PM - In reply to mollynich
here is the link to my photography website to view what I am gifted at and have a huge passion for in my life.

www.me2youphotography.printroom.com

Replied By: iluvtaknpics on Aug 7, 2009, 5:10PM - In reply to mollynich
Molly I did post a comment because yes I am upset and maybe it is a rerun but I didn't see it when it orginially aired but what hurt the most was you said we were lazy,ignorant and selfish.. That is a plain judgment on those of us who are over weight. I didn't used to be over weight nor ask for it.. I have had 4 kids via c section from the belly button down which every time tehy had to cut my stomach muscles and now they will never be like they used to ever again.. I am by no means lazy or selfish and I have a very full life with 2 of my 4 kids still at home and I am always on the run. I understand how  you feel I used to be a size 6 back in my early 20's but now at the age  of 44 I am much larger..  I wrote an article about people judging based on our looks please read it and write me afterwards.. I know thoughts change and people think the way they think for many reasons.. Please I would love to talk to you more about this I do not hate you or anyone I love meeting and chatting with people from ALL over no matter what.. Here is the link to my article ( both pages) http://www.coolerparents.com/profiles/blogs/2192299:BlogPost:29239

and also here is a link to my passion other then my  family and friends of what I do  when I am not running kids here and there or being  our church photographer.. Stop by there and look at the photos as well you will see there is more to me  then my weight.

Have a blesed day
Anita

Replied By: thefamilyguy on Aug 6, 2009, 11:08AM
I've been following the postings on this subject and have made an interesting observation. Many who are quick to criticize Molly for her brief, edited and 6-year old comments on Dr. Phil are the same ones who are judging her as if she were the devil incarnate! Let's step back a minute. "Don't make snap judgements on someone's character based on such superficial standards as appearance," some would say. That's fine and I agree. However, doesn't the same standards apply in the other direction? Don't make snap judgements about a person's character based on how a media entity can represent someone in a 5 minute blurb on TV. Challenge someone's ideas. That's great, but when you start attacking the person, you all are no different!
I happen to think that obesity is as big a problem in our country and culture as self-image problems are. There are valid studies and arguments to support this. We can make personal attacks all day long, but it's not addressing the problem. Look how many programs Dr. Phil alone has on weight loss!
Ok, you don't like how Molly came across on a TV show; how can you determine she's such a terrible person? That seams just as superficial to me. You attack her, instead of dealing with the issues she raises. Rather than campaigning against her, we should be spending our energy attacking the causes of obesity. Sadly, such mis-directed focus seems to support one of Molly's views that it is easier to make excuses and blame others than to really address the problem. Bring on the personal attacks!

Replied By: mollynich on Aug 5, 2009, 2:41PM
Hello,
I have read the posts you have been writing about me and have responded to the people who have personally written to me. No one bothered to ask me what my views are now since the show aired which was over 6 years ago or if they wanted anything to be clarified. You say that I am judgemental but you are the ones being judgemental towards me for only seeing a 30 second blip on a tv show. The people who have contacted me now realize my intentions on the show.
As a side note, 1 out of 3 children will grow up to have adult onset diabetes due to the food they are eating. That has nothing to do with injury or medications as a lot of you have all written that you suffer from. This was my point on the show. People contributing to their own health by making bad choices. Thats it.
Its very disappointing to see people jump down my throat when they dont have all of the information they need to do so.
Sincerely,
Molly

Replied By: iluvtaknpics on Aug 5, 2009, 12:16PM - In reply to housewife52
I frankly wished I could have jumped through the tv and onto the Dr. Phil show and  have a disscussion with Molly.. I have been on both sides of the weight scale used to be a size 6 now well after 4 kids via c-section I am now  over weight.  I was shocked that Molly didn't seem to care about how her judgement towards those of us who are over weight and that we are taking up HER space, gees how bad we are to take up her space while she sits and judges and degrades us.. I wrote an article for my church called Beyond the Cover it talks about just this topic how people judge us for what we look like or have and base their decision on wether or not they want to be our friends or not..  I am so sick and tired of people taking one look at me and decide wether I am worthy or not or their friendship. It is not up to us to judge each other it is  up to God and he made us in His image so if God loves me the way I am then why can't others do the same.. We are all different for a reason and I thank God that I am different I wouldn't want to look like or be exactly like everyone us that is what makes us all so special.. And we have allowed society,media and others to dictate what we should look like, talk and act like but I have never been one to follow what the media or society says I should be.. I don't wear something because someone says so I wear it because I like it, or it fits me and my personality.    When Molly put on that weight suit I believe gave her no real thought about what we go through each and every day as being over weight.  And to hear her say we are lazy, and do nothing and can control our weight, this coming from a person who has not been in our shoes or had to fight to loose even 5 pounds.. I may be over weight but I am an active person with 2 of my 4 kids still at home and with me running here and there with kids to practice, schools, job, practices and being our church photographer and starting my own photography business I am  busy person so to say we don't do nothing WRONG!!!!! I would love to be thinner then I am but then I think back to when I was thin ( pre children) I was miserable then as well people were just as cruel cause I was never the pretty one but I can tell you this I was happy with who I was and am today because I don't base my friendships on how someone looks or what they have or don't have cause frankly it don't matter to me it is all about thier heart,morals and what we have in common.   I do wish more people were like that but they are not , but I can tell you when someone makes such a judgment as Molly did about those of us who are over weight it just ticks me off.. If anyone would like to read the article I wrote here is the link to view both pages...

http://www.coolerparents.com/profiles/blogs/2192299:BlogPost:29239

Replied By: epost1 on Aug 4, 2009, 2:03PM - In reply to gross5408
I was so glad to see your comment. I, too, was disappointed that someone so prejudiced was selected to represent what is supposed to be admirable female characteristics.

Replied By: rebecca1980 on Aug 3, 2009, 11:25AM - In reply to gross5408
You are entitled to your opinion even if you have wrong information but honestly, you have too much time on your hands it seem which is just sad.

Showing 1-10 of total 44 Comments