Twitter Facebook YouTube

2009 Shows

(Original Air Date: 11/03/03) Are you or your spouse a gadget junkie? One woman says that her husband is having an affair with his cell phone and she is fed up! She says he spends hours a day on personal calls, but fails to communicate with his family. Will Dr. Phil finally get him to hang up his phone and talk to his wife? Another guest says he is is so obsessed with watching television that it’s ruining his marriage. He has seven sets turned on at all times, and now his teenage kids are following his bad example. Can Dr. Phil peel these couch potatoes away from the TV set for one day?

Find out what happened on the show.
Comments
Replied By: cadescove99 on Jul 22, 2009, 10:31AM - In reply to dreamerdangels
Not sure where to find this test on Dr Phil's website, but it's included in his Relationship Rescue book. Since you like to read, I would recommend this book.

Replied By: marystartover on Jul 22, 2009, 10:10AM
As long as we're talking about electronics occupying one's time, perhaps there are viewers out there with this problem; someone in our family plays on line Solitaire a LOT. Even when you're on the phone you can sense the distraction and hear the keys clicking away. This has been a bone of contention between the couple and appears to almost be an addiction or compulsion. Furthermore, often when talking to "solitaire's" spouse on the phone, there are sudden silences after I've spilled my guts about something or conveyed some information only to realize the other party has been distracted by something on TV at which point not only did they tune out of the call but is then compelled to jump in with what distracted them, which is more than likely irrelevant and inappropriate to the "conversation". I'm trying to be anonymous here so as not step on toes. What does this say about a couple?

Replied By: marystartover on Jul 22, 2009, 9:54AM
Regarding the first couple on Tuesday's electronic age show; she reads the newspaper and magazines, he studies the Bible and he thinks she's boring? Nothing against some religious people (not all are cool) but most serious Bible "students" are very one dimensional and boring. All they want to talk about is the Bible or their religion. Why not try living in the present or applying what he's learned in the Bible to what she's read about current events? Maybe there's some lessons on humanity they could share or he could attempt to change this crazy world instead of sticking his head in the Bible (and I mean no disrespect to it). He is rude and selfish, what does about that?

Replied By: fromthemts on Jul 22, 2009, 8:33AM
My husband is the complete opposite of the men featured on Tuesday's program.  He knows how to turn his cell phone on and off, answer calls and retrieve messages.  The rest he is not interested in.  He doesn't text, doesn't know how and doesn't care.  He will snap a picture with his phone once in a awhile. His phone rings all day long with calls from clients and customers on his delivery route--he's a UPS driver.  Oddly one day last week he left for work and forgot his phone.  I offered to meet him at a designated point to get his phone to him.  He said, "Oh, you know, that's not necessary; it will be a quiet day without it."  He just asked me to tell anyone who called another driver's cell phone number so he could get the messages from that driver on his lunch hour. 

With regard to the T.V. my husband doesn't even know how the remote control works completely.  He can turn it on, shut it off, change channels, but if he wants to see what is pre-programed, what a show is about more indepth or rent a PPV movie, he gives me the remote so I can do it.  Is he capable of learning?  Of course!  It's just not on his list of priorities.

My guess right now is that if I asked him to turn on our computer, he would ask me how it's done!  He can certainly use the computer at work--because it's necessary that he knows how.  I'm sure he could not send and e-mail from our home computer and last but not least he does not know how to use his debit card at the ATM, but I'm teaching him!

He is the sweetest, most honest, most patient man I know.  One morning, he was getting ready to leave for work.  I happened to still be asleep.  He opened our bedroom door slightly and said, "Honey, I need some pocket money, do you have some in your wallet?"  I said, "Sure, honey, I have some, go ahead."  Later when I got up I noticed my wallet was laying on top of my purse.  I went to put it away but first looked in my wallet.  I had $30 in my wallet.  He took only $3.

I am so blessed. 

Replied By: kjfkma on Jul 21, 2009, 6:32PM
does anyone know where the quiz is that dr phil was talking about at the begining of the show???

Replied By: dolphindancer on Jul 21, 2009, 5:07PM
I think the husbands are out of line either talking on the cell phone or watching tv too much. Why did they marry if they are going to spend all that time with their gadgets? Like Dr. Phil said there needs to be balance and time to communicate.

Replied By: dolphindancer on Jul 21, 2009, 5:07PM
I think the husbands are out of line either talking on the cell phone or watching tv too much. Why did they marry if they are going to spend all that time with their gadgets? Like Dr. Phil said there needs to be balance and time to communicate.

Replied By: dreamerdangels on Jul 21, 2009, 2:29PM - In reply to puppypower1234
I am terribly bad at reading at night.  I don't do the cell phone, only if I wreck the car, I watch TV but can turn it off to sleep.  I read daily and only at night.  It relaxes me.  I love books.
  I have always loved them since I was in high school.  I know I read them to escape because I had a terrible childhood and no I didn't walk 10 miles to school in snow up to my nose but it was very abusive.
  I have a large library and re-read some books if I can't find a good new one.
If my husband wants to make love I will sometimes act annoyed, like oh man this book is good...don't make me put it down!  Yet I never will say that.  I will put the book down...only I will lay it down so I know where I left off.  Ok it sounds kind of funny so laugh.  He would like for me to lay their with him hmmm
afterwards only I can't stop thinking about my book. So most the time I will lay there until I can't stand it and act like I am going to sleep and then say I need to get up to use the ladies room and come back and read.  I read mainly non-fiction.  I also write.
 I do feel guilty about this so it must not be right.
  Most the time I just say well ...if he is asleep it shouldn't matter to him.
Ok I am making excuses.
I need that test that Dr. Phil talked about on his show today.
  We have been married a long time but I still want to know if I know.....everything that is important to him.
Yes I do love him.

Replied By: sholland10 on Jul 21, 2009, 2:22PM
Dr. Phil,

My husband thinks I spend too much time on facebook or watching tv.  He is probably right.  I think he spends too much time working on the yard, working in the shop, and playing golf.  We have been married 26 years.  He is retired military, and I am a teacher.  We have spent much of our marriage away from each other.  We are both struggling to find anything in common.  Our oldest is married and our youngest is dating and not home very much.  I am bored to death.  He is anti-social and I am very social.  We are both stubborn and prideful.  I think there is more to the relationship problem than becoming addicted to tv, computer, cell phone, etc., or just being selfish.  I feel big problems in our marriage and do not know what to do.  He would never agree to go on the show.  I don't think he would agree to counseling.   I feel stuck between a rock and a hard place. I do not want to see a 26 year marriage go down the tubes and neither does he, but we are STUCK. 

Replied By: dreamerdangels on Jul 21, 2009, 2:21PM
 I would like to have a copy of the test that ask questions about your spouse to see if you know them like you think you know them.  Can anyone help me?
  I know I should have wrote down the blog that Dr. Phil said. 
dreamer

Showing 1-10 of total 12 Comments