Twitter Facebook YouTube

2009 Shows

(Original Air Date: 11/08/02) Since the dawn of time, since the first man and woman gave birth to the first bouncing bundle of joy, parents everywhere have asked the same question throughout the ages, “How do I get my child to do what I need him or her to do?” Parents have a million questions, from potty training to getting their children to pick up their rooms, and Dr. Phil is ready to answer them! Tune in and learn the secrets to child rearing that will improve your life and your children’s behavior forever. Join the discussion.

Find out what happened on the show.
Comments
Replied By: cadescove99 on Aug 1, 2009, 10:40AM - In reply to uppercase
I see nothing wrong with a woman discreetly breast feeding her children until the age of 12 to 18 months. But. I've got to wonder for whose benefit she would continue breast feeding children past the age of two. Especially after they've begun kindergarten. I suspect, once the children are past breast or bottle feeding age, she continues doing it to meet her emotional needs.

Replied By: cadescove99 on Jul 23, 2009, 10:01AM - In reply to grapevine1
The oldest child quit nursing when the second child was born. When the third child was born, the second child quit nursing. Then, when the oldest child insisted, after at least two years, on starting to nurse again. Followed by the second child. I think the girls might just be doing it for the attention their baby brother is getting and, once he quits nursing, they will, too.

Replied By: cadescove99 on Jul 22, 2009, 10:22AM - In reply to annticip8
I agree with you. I see no point in breast-feeding a child past two-years-old, three at the most. I've got to wonder why any mother would still be breast-feeding a seven-year-old child. But, there are a few who have breast-fed children until they were almost ten-years-old!
When this show originally aired, almost seven years ago, the general message board consensus supported breast-feeding until age one or two. But, there was one mother of five who was still breast-feeding all but her oldest who chose to quit at nine years of age!
But, even with her oldest child weaned, she was spending at least eight hours a day on breast-feeding alone! And, she thought nothing of breast-feeding her children in public. Even restaurants, she'd be sitting at the table, breast-feeding at least two of her children every time they went out to eat.
Sickest of all? Her husband would get turned on sexually by sucking milk out of her breasts!

Replied By: sweetsarahbeth on Jul 21, 2009, 6:24AM - In reply to myasgrammy
My daughter had the same problem. Only she had had constipation problems before we started potty training. Her pediatrician told us that toddlers see the poop as part of them and it is harder for them to go. She also told us to get her a foot stool, have you ever tried going with your feet not touching the ground?

Replied By: myasgrammy on Jul 19, 2009, 11:15AM
I only got to see a small part of this show but from the comments sent in it doesn't look like our problem was addressed.  My granddaughter will not "poop" in the toilet.  She will pee with no problem.  But when it comes to pooping she refuses.  We can see that she is straining and has to go, she even says she is "making poop" but if we take her to the toilet she will hold it in.  We have tried many things, including rewards, watching mommy and grammy do it, books, videos, etc. but she won't budge.  We have also increased her fiber thinking it was constipation. My daughter had asked her pediatrition more than once and has been told it is just a phase- most kids do this.  With Mya it has gotten worse instead of better.  Oh, she is 3 yrs, 9 months old and was 7 week premature.  PLEASE, any suggestions?  Dr. Phil??  Moms???

Replied By: nobravery on Jul 17, 2009, 9:55PM
How can that lady still breastfeed her kid? I was watching this with my mom and she is like: is this woman insane?!?
I cannot believe that a lady would wean her kids off of her but then show them how to breastfeed again. That is just creepy beyond belief. They are growing kids and they just need to grow up. Plus those poor kids are going to be tormented in school for years to come. This lady needs some serious counseling.

Replied By: stawon on Jul 16, 2009, 7:44PM - In reply to miss_che
Please go to Pickyeatingadults.com

Replied By: dstepho on Jul 16, 2009, 7:35PM
Please help!  I went to target bought the baby that wets but you have to keep the sippy cup in its mouth to get it to pee and when you squeeze it you get it to pee.  Then I went to Toys R Us and bought the you and me baby that wets but once you sit it up after drinking it pees all over the place.  So what doll do I need to get and where do i get it?  I might have ruined the moment  by buying all these different dolls but I'm not giving up. :)

Replied By: hulagirl1 on Jul 16, 2009, 3:34AM
The potty-training technique was completely adorable! That said, however, people shouldn't worry if it doesn't work. Kids do it when they're ready, and I've never seen one come to kindergarten in diapers so take a chill pill. Child abuse takes a big spike up at around that age because parents get crazy about potty training. If you have two or even three in diapers at the same time, it just doesn't make any difference; a diaper only takes a minute to change. It's not like they don't take every minute of the day and night whether they're potty trained or not.  If young parents could see down the road a few years they'd relax- all these things that seem like huge issues at the time, nobody even remembers. I would tell them all to relax and enjoy them before they become teenagers and drive you insane!

Replied By: act4jc on Jul 15, 2009, 3:51PM
I have a 3 year old daughter and a 2 month old son... Needless to say, I am desperate to NOT have two children in diapers... I have tried potty training my daughter multiple times, from cold turkey, no more diapers, to taking her every 20 minutes throughout the day... Even with the help of my cousin, who has helped multiple children to learn to use the potty, nothing has worked... So I saw this episode of Dr.Phil yesterday (7/14/09), and said, why not?  It's been half of the day, with no successful attempts for my daughter, the doll on the other hand is doing great... But my daughter is still not interested...  She has had a couple of accidents, but no successes... I am tired and have to go back to work in a couple weeks (my maternity leave is over then)... I want my daughter to be able to go to preschool, but that is looking grim...

Showing 1-10 of total 29 Comments