Twitter Facebook YouTube

2009 Shows

Dr. Phil continues his in-depth look at a family that struggles with a decision that will affect the rest of their lives. Dale and Kelly's 15-year-old daughter, Brittney, an honor roll student and star athlete, recently shared she is pregnant, and the family has been turned upside down. To help Brittney learn more about adoption, Dr. Phil arranges for her to meet with two agencies. Will the visit be more emotional for the teen or her mom? Now six-and-a-half months pregnant, Brittney reveals her intentions for her unborn baby. See how her parents react to her choice. Do they think she'll stick with her decision? Has Brittney come to terms with her situation? Find out why Dr. Phil thinks she's acting detached from the baby growing in her belly. Then, hear what the baby's father and his parents have to say about the situation. Be there with this family as they encounter struggles, fears and doubts, and consider how you would react as a parent in the same situation. Talk about the show here.

Find out what happened on the show.
Comments
Replied By: ozzybeauty on Aug 16, 2009, 11:25PM
I’ve just had the privilege of watching this show and seeing Brittney’s journey.

I’m not a mom yet, but my husband and I would love to be parents some day (when the time is right.)  

I think Brittney has done the most selfless thing any human being can do for another!

People should not judge others like Brittney. I have two successful examples in my family, of teen pregnancies that turned out just fine. Although the circumstance is not ideal!

With love and support from the family the Babies had loving and happy childhoods as a result of birth mothers taking responsibility for the baby and support from the Grand Parents. Everyone is healthy and happy many years later.

Replied By: janedaza on Aug 16, 2009, 9:21PM
This episode just aired today in Australia, and as an adoptee I just wanted to say that I think open adoption is wrong. I agree absolutely with the lady who was adopted and was also against open adoption. It undermines the adoptive parents and it would only serve to confuse the child. Have information available for the child by all means, but when you choose to place your child for adoption, be selfless and allow the adoptive parents the right to parent like any other person would, without the involvement of a biological mother in the background. Give the new family the right to exist as any other family does.

Replied By: mzkitten on Jul 24, 2009, 7:46PM
I have been keeping up with this show and i have a piece of advice for brittney.....my name is ashley, i am 21 years old. i have a beautiful son. When i was 16 i found out that i was pregnant. my family was VERY religious and did not believe in sex before marriage and here i am 16 and pregnant. i didnt tell my family till i was little over 3 months pregnant. When i told my mom she cried ALOT. My dad was more understanding than i thought but he was upset because i was his little girl. My parents ended up accepting my son with open arms and they wouldnt trade him for anything in this world nor would i. They showed all the options that i had before just like dr. phil is doing with you.. i understand that you have decided upon adoption and i just want to let you know.. having a child is the most stressful and the amazing experiece that you could ever encounter. I kept my son and raised him while going through highschool. My parents let me live at their home until i decided that it was time for me to move. it is now almost 5 years later..i graduated highschool, became self employed, got engaged, found a beautiful home and going to college full time. Kids dont hold you back. I understand your decision but let me ask you this.. will you be able to not kiss your child goodnight every night? tuck them in? read their bedtime story? hear their first word? watch their first step? i want you to think long and hard cuz its the biggest decision of your life and its for LIFE. If you kept your baby it would be strenous at first but it would all pay off when you look into your baby's eyes and see nothing but love. Thank you for your time. I just wish that i could help more

Replied By: devilgril666 on Jul 20, 2009, 1:01PM
i think that haveing a baby is not that hard i want to have a baby right now if i could

Replied By: nobravery on Jul 17, 2009, 10:02PM
My heart truly goes out to this girl. She is so young to have to be worrying about having a child but at the same token she decided to have sex. It's very hard to make a definate choice because she doesn't seem to really comprehend what the baby means. I think at first she just saw having a baby as some sort of game. I can see her saying: let's play house I'll be the mommy and you can be the daddy, here is our perfect baby. But as the months wore on I could tell she started to really comprehend what having a baby really means. It makes me happy to find out that she is not going to abort it but give it to a loving family. The open adoption I truly do think is the perfect compromise. The baby gets loved and nurtured while she gets to watch her child grow.

Replied By: kmullin0930 on Jul 15, 2009, 8:56AM
It is the most unnerving thing to me that people think that just because you are caring a child that you automatic have this wonderful connection with it.  I have a beautiful daughter that is 26 and have been married for 30 years but when I delivered my baby I wanted nothing to do with her.  It took me several months to actually connect with her.  So as Brittney was on the show and expressing her unattachment to the baby and Dr. Phil was worried that she should seek  I didn't agree with him.  Brittney is a very strong and loving person and for a young girl at 16 she knows her body and soul to make a decision that is right for her.  I do believe that she will never forget the baby but by no means does it mean that she will long for the baby as the years go by.  We are not all the "baby machines" and instant maternal beings just because we carry a baby full term.  This doesn't make us monster or unloving people.

Replied By: marianparoo on Jul 14, 2009, 5:16AM - In reply to lishabee
...well, first of all by the 1800s girls were not getting married at 14. I think the average age for girls to marry was HIGHER in the 1850s let's say than in the 1950s, but I'll have to check. I know at the mid 20th century average age for marriage was quite low, both for women and men.

A mother might give birth a dozen times (dozenS? you mean like 24 or 36?) but infant mortality was high. Sometimes fewer than 1/2 of her children survived. She was very likely to die in childbirth, too. And I really hope you aren't advocating giving birth without anaesthesia like in Margaret Atwood's dystopian novel, The Handmaid's Tale!

Replied By: lishabee on Jul 13, 2009, 12:37PM - In reply to landrillion
I have been reading through a lot of these entries and some of the things people are saying are ridiculous. For someone to say that all teens should be banned from having children is ridiculous! Only in America would something like this be said, honestly back in the 1800's women got married at 14 and had children by the dozen with no pain killers at all and raised them just fine. I am 19 years old and have a 9 month old, I am still with my sons father we have been together for over 3 years and are now engaged to be married! We lived with my parents for a little while and then with his and we now have our own place and have been living here for just over six months. I work part time and he works full time and we are both going to school, he is going to med- school at 20 and I am going to school for nursing. This is not something that isn't realistic to do, when I hear all of these stories about teen parents not being able to make it and take care of their children I don't understand it. We have received ZERO help from our families financially and we are both deffinately not from wealthy households, both of our families just lost their houses due to foreclosures in the past year. I feel like no excuse is good enough to give away your child or terminate your pregnancy, if you have the maturity to have sex than live up to it and TAKE CARE OF YOUR CHILDREN!!!!

Replied By: larissa88 on Jul 13, 2009, 11:47AM - In reply to mommy23babes
The support of the family is very important. My family supported me 100 % also and it greatly affected my decision in a very good way.

Replied By: larissa88 on Jul 13, 2009, 11:44AM
I was 16 when I had my son. Its a shame that Brittney's parents have chose not to support her, even though her decision was adoption in the end. Having support from your family allows to feel good about the decision your making. I think that part of the decision she made was because she had no support from her family. I know my parents were upset with my pregnancy, but they chose to accept it and supported me through the whole thing, not to mention my son's father stayed with me and we had the support of his family also. I don't believe that your life is over after the baby comes either. To us life had only begun.

For everything we learned from my child, all the kisses, all the smiles, all the laughter, all the scrapes, all the sick nights, I don't regret giving up the rest of my teenage years for him. I stayed in school through-out my pregnancy and continued after birth and graduated High School 2 and half years later. During my last year in school I had a job was able help support our child. My husband had finished school before our son was born and was already working to support us. Though I have to admit having the support from both our families really helped in the decision we made. It really not a tragedy in my eyes as her parents seem to think.

Showing 1-10 of total 166 Comments