Twitter Facebook YouTube

2009 Shows

(Original Air Date: 10/25/02) Statistics tell us that 80 percent of all communication is non-verbal. Do you ever wonder if your body language turns people off? Does your handshake scare people away? You never get a second chance to make a first impression, so find out what messages you're sending — without saying a word. Karen says she was taught to have a firm handshake and to be independent. Is she simply a self-confident woman, or are her actions driving men away? Plus, learn how one couple makes the little things they do mean more than saying, “I love you.” Join the discussion.

Find out what happened on the show.
Comments
Replied By: jeannie812 on Jun 23, 2009, 9:53PM
My daughter would have had her first wedding anniversary on June 21, 2009,  first day of summer.  But,  that didn't happen because she never got married.  The guy committed suicide in Oct 2007.   Months before  their wedding day of June 21  2008.  Their first wedding anniversary would have been last Sunday. 

It changed my daughters life.   She joined the air force after college.  Her reasons were because of his death.  

She has met some other guy. An  AF guy with a lot of stripes on his shirt.   I saw this new guy's  picture and took a instint dislike to him.   I can't quite put my finger on it.  I guess I don't like the overly confident way he looks at the camera.  I tried to pass this off.

My daughter is beautiful and smiling sweetly at the camera,  and he smiles a passing smirk at the camera.  Like he's got it all figured out.   His eyes were kinda squinty,  and his nose was already wide and turning up.  We will see up  those nostrils in years to come. 

I dismissed my thoughts and read on. 

And,  as I read further into my daughters My Space page,  I felt my hunch was right.  She wrote that she bought a vintage Mustang like he has.  She joked as she wrote that he says that he has the cool vintage Mustang and her's  is  a pony.  

My eyes bulged out of my head.  I was ready to kill the guy.   Here I already didn't like him.  Tried to give him the benifit of the doubt and he proved me right in seconds. 

Here he talked her  into getting interested in a vintage Mustang.  With the pricey price tag,  and the pricey insurance premiums.  Then he insults her car....

I want to bitch slap that smug pig-nose.

He is playing the pimp game.  He doesn't want her to know she is beautiful or smart.  He will cut her down on every level until she finally believes that no man will have her but him. Then he will cut her down futher until she has no sense of self.

Replied By: tbelanger on Jun 23, 2009, 6:55PM - In reply to afraid
Dr Phil my hand shake made me feel as if i were lucifer in person when i shook the hand of a preacher who was visiting the church i went to with a freind, i litterly had to hold his hand with both my hands to shake his hand he was trying to pull away from me so hard, wtf was up with him? made me feel like well you know! i do not visit ANY  church now days nor do i attend any, if i am lucifer i dont want to be in a church for sure, just to be causious, i did read a part some where in the bible that said lucifer would undermine Gods children and turn the churches to him and i do not want no part of that, the one time i felt good in church as a adult and it all went straight to hell with a hand shake! wow aint life grand. but i know i do not need a church to know God or his son Jesus, thank God for that!.

Your kidding right????? I sure hope so. People find so many ridiculous reasons not to go to church. If you don't want to go then don't go, but don't use some unintentional action that a minister had. Maybe he had a phobia or maybe he saw you scratch your butt or something. Did you ever think about something like that??

Replied By: kcowan51 on Jun 23, 2009, 4:06PM
Today's show, June 23rd, was such a great show.  It was enlightening to watch "Karen" and some of the other guests.  This is the type of show I wish Dr. Phil did more often.  ; )
Kcowan51

Replied By: angel9374 on Jun 23, 2009, 3:13PM
well nody language does have alot to do with the way a person looks at you and what they assume about you. for example a nice sweet and innocent school girl make appear that way to students  in school but outside of school if she dresses in heels and a short skirt, the people on the streets will have a totally different perspective of her..... now is it ok to walk into a room with total confidence like your all that, yes but if you over due it you may come across as intimidating to others and in the end if your like this woman then yes that may cause men to flee away..... conclusion: have confidence but not too much

Replied By: appalchian on Jun 23, 2009, 12:14PM
 the red headed lady was just fine. why try to be someone you arn't just to find a mate. she will meet the right person one day, be patience it will happen if you force it you will mary the wrong person and probably wind up getting a divorce Please do dume yourself up just to make another appear smart.

Replied By: carolrhill on Jun 23, 2009, 10:52AM
Before we had language the body was the language and somehow it got lost in the fray.
I always watch the body no matter where I am or what I am doing because it never lies it doesn't have the ability to do so and that is a fact.

Replied By: afraid on Jun 23, 2009, 8:53AM
ohhh yeah i forgot also that same preacher,s hand i shook also shook hands with ex pres bush, hummmm i wonder.

Replied By: afraid on Jun 23, 2009, 8:51AM
Dr Phil my hand shake made me feel as if i were lucifer in person when i shook the hand of a preacher who was visiting the church i went to with a freind, i litterly had to hold his hand with both my hands to shake his hand he was trying to pull away from me so hard, wtf was up with him? made me feel like well you know! i do not visit ANY  church now days nor do i attend any, if i am lucifer i dont want to be in a church for sure, just to be causious, i did read a part some where in the bible that said lucifer would undermine Gods children and turn the churches to him and i do not want no part of that, the one time i felt good in church as a adult and it all went straight to hell with a hand shake! wow aint life grand. but i know i do not need a church to know God or his son Jesus, thank God for that!.

Replied By: tammydry on Jun 23, 2009, 7:20AM
Just wondering if Dr. Phil has tried to contact the Gosselin family to try to help save their marriage.  From the sounds of the last few episodes of Jon & Kate Plus 8, lack of communication techniques had a major part in the marriage problems.  It would be great if Dr. Phil could help.

Also, have to say how angry I am with TLC that they allowed this to happen before their and the world's eyes - JUST FOR RATINGS AND A PROFIT!  SHAME ON THEM!  I AM BOYCOTTING THE TLC NETWORK FROM NOW ON, unless I see and feel they are spotting the exploitation of perfectly good and decent people.  I hope some of the other morally conscience shows on that network would boycott filming any more shows until things change!  I know Jon & Kate signed a contract, but did they really know what they were getting into?  I'd like to know where their admitted faith in God is playing out.

Just some of my thoughts.

Replied By: delsberry2 on Jun 21, 2009, 12:27PM
my husband had a stroke 10 years ago and is unable to speak or organize his thoughts to communicate.  THis is the hardest thing to accept from his stroke.  he understands but cannot communicate.  He has afrasia,and apraxia.  The loss of this communication hasbeen very hard for me.  i would love to  to hear the I love you I so took for granted before.  Watching your show and seeing the disrespec t couples show for one another just desgusts me on the selfishness and the love they so squander.  I have written before about the lot of caregivers and how many of us there are out here who basically sacrifice their own well being and life for others.  I wish you would do a show on caregivers   Donna Elsberry

Showing 1-10 of total 10 Comments