Twitter Facebook YouTube

2009 Shows

Recently, the California Supreme Court upheld Proposition 8, a controversial measure banning same-sex marriage passed by voters in November 2008. The current ruling states that the ban is constitutional, but the state's 18,000 existing same-sex marriages will stand. Dr. Phil and his panel of distinguished guests continue their discussion of this controversial topic. Joining the debate are discrimination attorney Gloria Allred, president of the Human Rights Campaign Joe Solmonese, San Francisco Mayor Gavin Newsom, Pastor Jim Garlow, president of National Organization of Marriage Maggie Gallagher and co-campaign manager for the Yes on 8 Campaign Jeff Flint. The conversation gets heated as Dr. Phil takes comments and questions from his audience, which is evenly divided over the issue that has many Californians protesting in the streets. Share your thoughts, join the discussion!

Find out what happened on the show.
Comments
Replied By: kustomlady on Apr 6, 2010, 7:59AM
The American College of Pediatricians exposes misinformation about homosexuality...

The current media portrayal of gay and lesbian relationships is that they are as healthy, stable and loving as heterosexual marriages — or even more so...Sexual relationships between members of the same sex, however, expose gays, lesbians and bisexuals to extreme risks of Sexually Transmitted Diseases (STDs), physical injuries, mental disorders and even a shortened life span. There are five major distinctions between gay and heterosexual relationships...

Read more...
http://factsaboutyouth.com/posts/health-risks-of-the-homosexual-lifestyle/

Replied By: ali1212 on Nov 9, 2009, 4:41PM
Hi,

I've been browsing through the message boards, and reading people's thoughts and opinions on Same-Sex Marriage, Education, and Equal Rights.

I'm living in Australia, and things are a little different here.  But, the debate is alive and kicking here too.

Firstly, I'd like to say that I believe in equal rights for all PEOPLE; that is, regardless of sexual orientation, gender, race, age etc.  I believe in informed CHOICE.  I believe everyone has the right to an opinion, and to make their own decision.

I respect people's religious beliefs, whatever they may be.  I'm grateful that we live in a world that people can follow their own religious beliefts, that people have a choice.

I respect that some people believe that marriage is a religious institution. I respect that others do not.  I respect that some people choose to marry in ceremonies that are NOT religious; people marry with celebrants, outside of churches, with no reference to religious belief. 

What I'm confused about is...do people that believe that marriage is a religious institution believe that these marriages nul and void because they were not performed in a ceremony based on religion?  If these people do not share your religious beliefts, would you like to see their marriage rights taken fro.m them, too?

I find it really difficult to understand what difference it makes to people if gays and lesbians would like to marry.  I respect your beliefts, and I understand and respect that passion that your beliefs invoke in you.  I respect that you live your life according to your beliefts.  But why can't you have the same respect for others? 

Nobody is forcing you to participate in gay and lesbian marriage; so why is it so frightening for you to allow other people to make that choice?

As far as what children learn in school, in Australia we have public schools where classes relating to religion are optional (based on the parents preferences), and we have high schools (age 13 - 18) that can be either religious or contain no relgious classes at all - again it's the parents decision where to send their children.

Sex education is taught widely in schools throughout Australia from the ages of 16 up, however it will depend on the school as to whether those classes contain a religious influence. 

I'm sorry to tell you that, regardless of whether that sex education includes information about lesbian and gay relationships, your children are going to be exposed to what's called 'real life'; you will not prevent them from finding out about these types of relationships in the future.  And why would you want to?  What is it that you are so afraid of?

Whether you believe that people are born gay, or whether attraction is something that's inbuilt, or whether people simply 'choose' to be gay (although i cannot understand for the life of me why anyone would choose to be gay, given the persecution and discrimination they face), you need to let go and let people have the right to make their own choices.

I believe that marriage symbolises love between two people, and commitment to that love.  It really has nothing to do with anyone other than the two people involved in that commitment.  I believe whether religion is involved is a choice that people have a right to make, without judgment or persecution from others.

It's so sad that people are so frightened.  If you're not hurting anyone, and i'm not hurting anyone, what is your problem?

Replied By: worshipper on Aug 3, 2009, 2:20PM
Hello. I have been gone for a while but just wanted to pop in and read some post.Thank you witwit for responding for me to abagwell.

I have been reading and just wanted to discuss them.If they are going to allow  curriculum for children in school concerning homosexuality, then why can't they offer curriculum for christianity? Everyday we  are persecuted emotionally and sometimes in America physically for what we believe. How is this possible to force a teacher who may believe that this choice is wrong in life teach this curriculum? Is that teacher just supposed to shut up and teach.I don't believe this will last long in California if this stands.

Also. I have had conversations with some people on this board and they have told me you can know when you are young that you are homosexual.Yet you can't know that you love someone if you are underage. Does not make sense to me. If a child or teenager cannot discern whether they love someone to get married to them when they are not of legal age,then how can they know that they are gay?Seems impossible to say that one can know preference because they were born that way but not love.

I also what to know this.What standards,beliefs,values, etc. do you hold yourself to? I mean the ones that you will not back down from. In those standards, are their some that you have struggled to conquer or do your standards fit with how you feel so you will never be wrong? I think the hardest thing for anyone in this world is to admit that a loved one who taught you everything about values is wrong in how they taught you or wrong in the way they lived their life.

I was born a child of God but definitely did not live a Godly life.Those who raised me did the best they could but in some apsects were wrong in how they lived their lives which led me to living a wrong life.I have since then given my life to Christ and even though some of things I did that I loved and thought were good and right were wrong, i had to leave them behind so I could become what God wanted me to be.The one who created me.See we may not like it when we are corrected and found to be wrong in our thinking, but sometimes it is what is best so we can judge ourselves and not one another. If you don't want to listen, then don't, but if you do just realize what you are responsible for once you have heard it. One of the things God wants us to do is spread his Gospel.If I am bad-mouthed,abused, or even killed for that then so be it.I would rather perish on this Earth doing his will then burn in hell in the next life.I know this was supposed to be about me asking questions but this was on my heart and I had to say it.

Replied By: tweet7 on Jul 22, 2009, 12:59PM - In reply to witwit
I took your advice and went back to read up a little on  your past postings.  I do agree with you that we should live our lives trying our best not to judge others unless they are just evil killers, criminals, pedophiles...and others who bring harm against others.  People who choose to love and be with other consenting adults should be spared from being judged in my opinion.  

Agree with you that maybe they are put upon this earth for a reason so that we may learn something, a bit of compassion and understanding so that we can grow as better human beings.  You asked how you can help your son believe in God?  Well, as for me, as a teenager in a secular household, I innately believed in a kind and loving God...then my sweetest, most kindest cousin died in a horrific car accident at the age of fourteen.  I became angry at God for the longest time.  How could he take away such a good person?  And leave killers alive?  Then in my early twenties I read the kind-of -new-agey book Conversations with God and I had an ephiphany.  My anger washed away and I understood.  God had been there since before the beginning of time.  We always say that he is all-knowing.  Well, he couldn't be all-knowing in an empty, lifeless universe.  So he created the Earth, then life, which eventually led to us humans.  How can he be all-knowing if not creating us, and all the multitude of experiences--the good, the bad, the ugly, the beautiful, the mundane, etc.?!  Whew, can you wrap your brain around that?!  Well, knowing this helps put my mind at ease. Also, I've come to realize, that God created us with free will.  It's other humans and their choices that helps to explain why bad things happen sometimes.  Anyways, to wrap this up, I believe in God because of the infiniteness of the universe, the beauty I see around me in people and things everyday, because of existence...and most of all, my existence.  Hope this helps shed a bit of light to your son.

P.S. About your peeve about people who have bad experiences with the opposite sex and therefore decides to become gay, I think that they always had that "attraction" deep within them...I guess I believe in the Kinsey scale of hetero/homosexuality.  There is a vast spectrum of feelings, everyone is different.  But yes, maybe therapy can help in any case to help figure out any confusion one way or the other.  I would have to say my peeve are girls who kiss or make out with other girls because they think that turns on guys.  Come on girls, get some self esteem!!! 

Replied By: mmmarty on Jul 16, 2009, 3:56AM
This is a rhetorical question.  Go to www.intouch.org look in the video archives for July 5 2009.

They had a guest speaker & what I didn't learn in school was shocking.

You do not need an account or to log in to view 45min video.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

July 12 2009  "The ruin of rebellion" 

Charles Stanley speaks about our rebellion, this sermon is awesome & relevant to this discussion.

Replied By: kustomlady on Jul 6, 2009, 5:36PM
New "peer-reviewed scientific survey looks at more than a century of research to determine that those with unwanted same-sex attractions can benefit from therapy and should continue to have access to it... The last finding is important, because it directly refutes unsubstantiated claims made by some factions of the American Psychological Association (APA) and several other professional mental health organizations that it is unethical for therapists to assist patients to overcome unwanted same-sex attractions. "

http://www.citizenlink.org/content/A000010419.cfm

Replied By: witwit on Jul 1, 2009, 5:13PM - In reply to abagwell_96
abagwell:

I am sorry, but after reading your reply to Worshipper, you clearly did not understand what he was referring to in his previous post.

He and I (and a few others that have posted here) , strayed off of the gay marriage subject, because I had asked their opinions, and what they thought might be going on, with the aparitions (ghosts) that have been seen and heard in my home over the last 8 years.  We were not discussing the "Holy Ghost".

Worshipper is very knowledgable and well versed with the Scriptures contained in the Bible.  HE DOES NOT NEED TO DO FURTHER "STUDYING" ON IT'S CONTENTS.  He was trying to help/offer me some advise and suggested reading in the Bible  that might be helpful with my problem.

Replied By: kustomlady on Jun 29, 2009, 2:57PM
San Francisco Bay-area Alameda Unified School District has approved a "lesbian, gay, bi-sexual and transgender" (LGBT) curriculum for use with kindergarten through fifth-grade students. The curriculum is intended to deal with issues such as bullying and harassment.

Kevin Snider with the Pacific Justice Institute (PJI) says the board passed the curriculum despite the objection of 73 percent of the speakers from the community who attended the board meeting.

"The fundamental problem with the curriculum is it gives a monopoly to one segment of the population -- namely gay, lesbian, bi-sexual, transgender persons -- on the issue of harassment," he contends. "And our position is that all students deserve safe schools, and that sexual orientation is only one of six protected classes. The other classes include race, gender, religion, disability, etc.; and so we have opposed this."

Alameda Unified School District is not allowing parents to opt their children out of the curriculum. PJI is sending opt-out letters to the district on behalf of parents. If the district rejects those letters, Snider says PJI will take the issue to court.
http://www.onenewsnow.com/Education/Default.aspx?id=582486

Replied By: kustomlady on Jun 25, 2009, 1:56PM - In reply to witwit
Maybe....God decided to make certain people (who are truely gay) that way, in order to see how heterosexuals would "treat them"......either with hatred; or, with kindness and compassion...  I think the best we can do is have good hearts and compassion for all people in this world who have love and goodness in their hearts.

I'm curious... by "kindness and compassion," do you mean defending same sex "marriage"/opposing marriage amendments?

How does she really feel in her heart about others? 

First of all, I would NEVER refer to my friends and loved ones by their sexual preferences... they have names, after all!  That said, I am largely motivated by human suffering and I see, within the "gay" community, a prevelance of AIDS, drug and alcohol abuse, violence, sexual abuse, anger, depression, poverty, and suicide (statistically speaking, much higher than the general population)- NONE of which will be resolved by the general approval of their unions.

And, why are we focusing so hard on this issue anyway? 

BECAUSE...

There are so many children dying from hunger, children being sexually abused and worse by predators, their own families, etc., violence, and on and on and on.  THAT LIST IS HUGE! 

...The institution of marriage and support for the institution of marriage is the best defense against all of the above.

Kustomlady has lots of so called facts and statistics.  That means nothing to me. 

Yeah, that explains a lot!  lol!

Replied By: kustomlady on Jun 22, 2009, 2:32PM - In reply to witwit
Are you selectively basing your information on small scale studies?

The thing is...

"One aspect of domestic violence that is frequently overlooked, however, is its occurrence in the homosexual community. Because various sociological trends are currently rendering our society unable to adequately address the problem of same-sex domestic violence (SSDV), many homosexuals have nowhere to turn for support and inadequate legal protection if they become victims of domestic abuse...

Homosexuals tend to live in tight, non-blood related communities of "kin." These networks form a large portion of social and emotional support for homosexuals, who often face ostracism from their childhood families, communities, and religious circles. The relative isolation that this produces can be a major barrier for a victim attempting to escape from SSDV. The victim may decide to protect their partner and him/herself from embarrassment by refusing help from any outside sources, thus making the abuse into a shared, binding, and guilty secret. There is also the possibility for a lesbian who accuses her partner of domestic abuse to be labeled as a "traitor to lesbianism or feminism" (Peterman, 2003), thus estranging her from her community.

This acute isolation has also begun to have an effect on the elderly homosexual population. In years past, homosexuals have faced harsher societal sanctions, providing incentive for homosexuals to turn inward to themselves as individuals as opposed to communities"

http://everything2.com/node/1799527

Showing 1-10 of total 893 Comments