Twitter Facebook YouTube

2009 Shows

Six thousand women enter menopause every day, and studies have shown that the fairer sex can experience menopausal and perimenopausal symptoms as early as their 20s and 30s. Dr. Phil’s wife, Robin, author of What’s Age Got to Do with It? is on a mission to show the ladies how to embrace life changes with dignity and grace! First up, Robin recounts her own emotional and physical struggles with the change of life. Learn how she was able to get a handle on her mood swings and hot flashes. Then, Becky says she hasn’t gotten a good night's sleep in 12 years, and when she looks in the mirror, she sees a woman who has aged 10 years in 12 months. Find out what happens after Robin takes Becky under her wing! Next, meet a 33-year-old who says she’s chronically exhausted and lacks libido. What’s at the root of her condition? And, can men experience menopause? Learn the surprising facts! Plus, meet a physician who says she learned important hormone tips from Robin’s appearance on The Oprah Winfrey Show, and hear from a woman who ignored her health symptoms and nearly lost her life. Talk about the show here.

Find out what happened on the show.
Comments
Replied By: holyhormones on Aug 11, 2009, 3:03PM - In reply to bcogley
Oh, Becky, it was great to see that you posted on this message board. I wondered how you were doing and glad to hear you are still feeling well. We had many of the same symptoms that I experienced before going on BHRT in 2006----we overuse the phrase that something changes your life, but in my case, it was definitely bioidentical hormones. 

One of the things that has made me angry about all of these shows on bioidenticals (Oprah, Dr. Phil, The Doctors) is that the nuts and bolts issues of affordability and accessibility have either been glossed over or not addressed at all.  After the show aired in April, these  message boards were filled with women who were absolutely frustrated and angry that they could see hope in hormonal balance, but felt that there was no way they could afford it. Many "gave up" before they even started to research their options because little direction was given in how to look for a doctor, a compounding pharmacy, costs involved, insurance coverage, etc. 

I am so passionate about this issue of educating women about biodentical hormone therapy that I have a blog dedicated bioidentical hormone therapy at holyhormones.blogspot.com.  I have counseled by email about 175-200 women on ways to find a doctor, a compounding pharmacy, and online and printed resources to help them learn more about hormonal balance.  If anyone reading this would like the information, please feel free to email me at holyhormones@gmail and I will be happy to send it to you.  Included in the resources is a list of recommended reading to learn more about BHRT----I recommend books written by doctors and healthcare professionals. 

I am disabled and live on a strictly fixed income, and I budget very carefully to afford my hormone therapy, but without a doubt it is worth every penny.  Since being on BHRT, I am down 80 pounds from my high weight, off seven medications, and my energy level is better than at any time in my life.  The increase and focus has allowed me to stop taking the Ritalin I had taken for years for ADD.  The progesterone cream banished my hot flashes in a week, but this goes way beyond menopausal symptoms.  Being hormonally balanced relieved my acid reflux, restless leg syndrome, severe seasonal allergies.  My cholestereol dropped by 65 points.  Three years ago my bone density scan showed a mild case of osteopenia, I just had a repeat scan done last month, and not only do I  no longer have osteopenia, my bone density measurements are now comfortably in the normal range.  I would take the hormones for any one of those reasons---to have all those benefits is truly a blessing. 

I will tell you up front that most of the doctors who are truly proficient in bioidentical hormones do not take insurance----most of the insurance companies will not pay for hormonal balance.  The few companies that do pay for an office visit for hormonal balance pay at such a dismal reimbursement rate that the doctor would only be able to spend about 8-12 minutes with a patient----and since balancing a patient's hormones goes way beyond looking at lab results----the doctor would lose money on every patient he/she saw.  I know a doctor is an easy target for criticism and scorn, but running a medical practice is running a small business.  There are doctors out there who see this as a way to make a lot of money off the backs of desperate, ill women, but that's not most of them.  The vast majority of doctors who are specializing in BHRT are practitioners who want the best for their patients and are willing to go the extra mile to balance their patient's hormones and not fill them up with toxic medications. 

Ladies, if you are considering a new doctor, be sure to check him/her out!  Every state has a medical board, and one every state medical board website there is an area where you can plug in a doctor's name and see if he/she has any sanctions or disciplinary actions.  I have done some research on some of the well known hormone physicians, and one of them on the West Coast is being severely disciplined by his state medical board. Do not let this happen to you.  Also, I consider it important that a doctor I go to be board certified----it shows an elevated level of dedication and expertise to the profession, as well as a commitment to continuing education to stay current on best practices.  You can check and see if your doctor is board certified by checking him/her out at The American Board of Medical Specialties, the website is abms.org. 

As for the hormones themselves, Becky makes a great point that if you do your research, you can find compounding pharmacies who are reasonable in their charges for your hormone prescriptions.  It takes work and it takes effort.  As for insurance coverage, you won't know what your insurance will or will not pay for if you don't ask.  My insurance company initially denied my claim for my hormones, but I appealed several times. Finally I got someone on the phone who asked me if my hormones were "for a chronic condition". I told her that yes, I did not ever expect to be cured of being a woman.  I had a check for a year's worth of the  hormones within two weeks. 

I hope this information has been of help, and again, if I can answer questions (not medical questions, I am not a health care professional so please do not send me your lab results and ask me to interpret  them) and point you in the right direction, please email me.  I have a terrific doctor who is a bioidentical hormone expert in Southern CA (no, it's not the Hall Center, this doctor is in private practice, he listens to his patients better than any doctor I have ever dealt with, he IS board certified in Internal Medicine, and his practice fee is only $600 for an entire year of visits, emails and phone consults!) and I can also give you the name of a terrific doctor in Charlotte, NC (he wrote a book that I consider one of the best ones out there).  Best wishes to all for hormonal health!

Replied By: bcogley on Aug 10, 2009, 1:07PM - In reply to cherishedfaith
I wanted to take a moment and let you know you are not alone. 

I am the 50 year old woman who was a guest on this episode of the Dr. Phil show.  Please contact the local compounding pharmacies in your area to discuss their ideas on finding low cost lab tests and bioidentical hormones and/or doctors who accept your insurance or offer reduced rates.  I have run of the mill HMO insurance which offers 90day reduced price nonformulatory bioidentical hormones.  Here is the kicker, if I pay cash straight to my conpounding pharmacist, I pay about 50 percent less than I would if I went through my health insurance company.  It averages out to about  $15.00 per month per hormone.  I also take supplements and have shopped around for the best price I can find for the products that have been suggested by Dr. Hall.

If your local pharmacy can't help with the prices of bioidentical hormones, I would suggest expanding your horizons and ordering the supplies from a reputable source elsewhere ( I use My Central Pharmacy in Santa Monica, CA).  The items you purchase will be promptly custom blended per your prescription  and shipped to your home.  I have personally visited this pharmacy and witnessed how they produce the bioidentical hormones.

I have been blessed with rapid recovery from thosetwelve years of perimenopausal symptoms.  I would be happy to talk to you further. 

Becky

Replied By: cherishedfaith on Aug 10, 2009, 10:08AM
i watched a taped recording of this show and finally thought i had some hope.  Recently, my hormones have taken there toll on me to the point, i am about ready to lose my job, i do not have sex with my husband at all and now, one of my many mood swings has caused a major riff between me and my oldest son. :(

So today, after watching this show, i did my research...felt like i finally had hope (i refuse to take synthetic hormones) and now to discover that my insurance more than likely will not pay for the testing involved for these BioIdenticals, but Ins won't pay for the cost of compounding them either.

I am an average american woman, trying to hold down a job, husband unemployed and now Menopause threatens my sanity as well as my life.  How can something so life changing be ONLY for the rich??? I'm so discouraged now and am at my wits end.

Unbalanced woman in Kentucky

Replied By: holyhormones on Jul 8, 2009, 10:20AM
I have a list of resrources to help women find a compouding pharmacy and/or doctor in their area, as well as a list of recommended reading to learn more about BHRT. Please email me at holyhormones@gmail.com and I am happy to send it along. I also have a blog dedicated to bioidentical hormone therapy and related women's issues at holyhormones.blogspot.com.  Best wishes to all for hormonal health!

Replied By: lynnies on Jul 5, 2009, 11:05PM - In reply to phechem
I too saw the show on 2nd July 09. I live in Melbourne Suburbs in Aust.  It was like reading a text of my symptoms.  I have Endometriosis and have had treatments at various times for that condition as well as infertility treatments both medical & naturopathy to try to treat my symptoms & the infertility issues.  I've tried countless times to get pregnant through IVF but nothing.
I've given up hope of that happening which is OK as at 41 I'm not sure if I want to anymore, I have become happy to lead the life I do to some extent.
BUT.........that having been said.  This is not living...........Im tired, I cant lose weight no matter what I seem to do, I wake up feeling as tired as when I went to bed, the pain at period time is just beyond description, my legs & muscles ache sometimes so much that I have to take pain relief to ease them and as for Sex ....What's that.  I never feel like it and only ever participate to keep my hubby happy.  I love him dearly but I just have Zero desire for Sex at all.  I get headaches on a reasonably frequent basis.  I have very little muscle tone to speak of and a general feeling of lethargy all the time.
All that having been said.  On seeing the program I went searching on the 'Net and found several places around that have knowledge of BHRT ( Bio-Identical Hormone Replacement Therapy) both in Melb & Sydney so just check up and make a few phone calls or alternately find a Compounding Chemist and phone & talk to them.  That's what I did and they gave me some phone numbers to try of Doctors who know more about BHRT.  I made a couple of calls and they were all booked out ( for the rest of 2009) but I managed to get in next monday on a cancellation.  So fingers crossed maybe she can help.
Best of Luck - hope you find someone who can help you out. 

Replied By: littlesplinter on Jul 4, 2009, 4:50AM - In reply to traceyt1969
HI I'M JUST LOOKING FOR BHRT FOR MYSELF AND NOTICED YOUR MESSAGE I JUST CAME ACROSS AN INTERESTING SITE LAST WEEK YOU MIGHT BE INTERESTED IN  www.cancerfungus.com and have a look at organic applecider vinegar and swedish bitters on the net.  GOD BESS YOU 

Replied By: traceyt1969 on Jul 1, 2009, 10:34PM
I was diagnosed with Thyroid Cancer last week and am awaiting an appointment with the Oncologist to get my treatment plan.  I have been tired and miserable for the last couple of years.  I did anti-depressants which i stopped.  The cancer was discovered when i felt a lump in my neck.

I look forward to noting the changes in my life once this little issue is dealt with!!

Replied By: phechem on Jul 1, 2009, 9:03PM
I live in NSW Australia and was watching your show today on hormones and i am very intersted in getting some more information on this topic so i can be tested and get some much needed help, can you help me find somewhere in Australia that will be able to help me? much appriciated Julie

Replied By: holyhormones on Jun 3, 2009, 8:54AM
If there is anyone who reads the boards who is in Canada and successfully on BHRT, I would  LOVE it if you would drop me an email at holyhormones@gmail.com.  I have a number of ladies ask me about BHRT in Canada, and since I am a US citizen I am not terribly familiar with the Canadian Health Care system.  Thanks so much in advance!  Happy hormones!

Replied By: holyhormones on Jun 3, 2009, 8:51AM - In reply to crystalrose
I went to the iacprx.org site (International Academy of Compounding Pharmacists) and typed in the postal code for Red Deer, Alberta, and immediately the name of a pharmacy came up.  I have stated numerous times on the board that most expedient way to find a doctor who deals with bioidentical hormones is to find a compounding pharmacy in your area (or you may have to search in the closest large city if there is none in your city ---- I checked both Edmonton and Calgary and both have compounding pharmacies).  Call the pharmacy or pharmacies and ask for the names and phone numbers of doctors in your area who prescribe BHRT---since nearly all bioidentical hormones are compounded, they know who is prescribing and where to go to get help.

I have a whole list of resources for women to find compounding pharmacies and doctors who test/prescribe/are supporters of BHRT, please drop me an email at holyhormones@gmail.com.   The document I will email back to you also has a list of  books that I recommend for women who want to learn more about BHRT----it's so important to become an informed patient/consumer.  The books I recommend are written by health care professionals and doctors.  I have a blog dedicated to bioidentical hormone replacement therapy and related issues at holyhormones.blogspot.com.  Best wishes to all for hormonal health!

Showing 1-10 of total 512 Comments