Twitter Facebook YouTube

2009 Shows

(Original Air Date: 03/27/09) The current economic crisis has everyone on edge. It’s more important than ever to talk to your kids about money, and today, Dr. Phil gives you the tools you need to have that conversation. His first guests, Lora and Kris, say they want help because their 15-year-old daughter, Katy, loves to shop –- with their money –- and she doesn’t take care of the items she buys. She’s already on her second iPhone, second iPod and third laptop! Katy admits she’s a little spoiled but says every teenager wants nice things. Lora and Kris admit they have a hard time telling their daughter no. How will Katy do when asked to balance the family budget? Then, Dr. Phil leads a roundtable discussion about money with a group of fourth and fifth graders. Find out their reactions when they learn how many bags of groceries you could buy with the amount of money it costs for an iPod. Plus, financial expert Susan Beacham shares the dos and don’ts for teaching kids about money. Talk about the show here.

Find out what happened on the show.
Comments
Replied By: matotwo00 on Aug 14, 2009, 6:20PM
I gotta say, I think this was a very good episode.  Iam a Mom of twiins, their 9, boy and a girl.  I had them both sit with me and watch.  They truly enjoyed it and I FIRMLY believe they  got something out  of it.  My husband and I are always telling them about our house BUDGET and  one of our  RULES in our home is .. WE DO WHAT WE GOTTA DO, THEN WE CAN DO WHAT WE "WANNA" DO.  And when the budget doesnt allow for what we WANNA DO, well.. we dont do it.
For example right now with school being around the corner, I told them both, any extra money is going towards school stuff.  In other words, DONT ASK FOR ANYTHING right  for now. 

Thanks Dr. Phil for giving them more insight on this very important topic.  ; )

Replied By: midgeb605 on Aug 14, 2009, 11:44AM - In reply to kla_mom
You are going on the DR Phil show for help teaching your daughter how to manage money.  Why would you further handicap her by lying about your income?  This would only lead her to believe that you only need  the smaller amount of money to live at the standard that you do.  This poor child doesn't stand a chance, she'll be so far in debt she won't be able to ever get out.

Replied By: moondragon007 on Aug 13, 2009, 8:29PM - In reply to verdun1950
I entirely agree! Get kids used to wearing uniforms now, since they're gonna be in them throughout their working lives anyway! With all our decent jobs going out of the country, the only thing left will be fast-food.

Replied By: moondragon007 on Aug 13, 2009, 8:25PM
I tell ya what, if I had asked for even 1 of the items on that list when I was growing up, I'd've been slapped upside the head, then given a stern lecture about how selfish I was cos every penny wasted on me took food out of my mother's mouth.

Replied By: cadescove99 on Aug 13, 2009, 2:14PM - In reply to iluvsk8ng
Anyone who chooses to be on the show ought to realise how much of what is filmed in their homes and they tell the producers during field and phone interviews must be left out in order to fit within the 15 minutes of airtime allocated to most guests.

Replied By: cadescove99 on Aug 13, 2009, 1:57PM - In reply to tennesseegirl8
A lot of parents seem to treat their children as extensions of themselves. They'll show off how much money they have, or want people to think they have, by outfitting their children with all the latest name brand clothes and gadgets.

Replied By: couchbum on Aug 12, 2009, 9:03PM - In reply to tartine
Are you kidding me?  Paying a child for grades.  Making good grades is for the benefit of the childs own interest.  You shouldn't be paying for grades.   My god what's wrong with this country?

Replied By: skbee1980 on Aug 12, 2009, 7:38PM - In reply to tennesseegirl8
I got that impression too.  Unfortunately, the daughter is paying the price for this.  The audience was not impressed and no one on this board is impressed either.  Including myself.  The girl could learn from other people, but maybe no one in her circle of friends HAS to work.

Replied By: skbee1980 on Aug 12, 2009, 7:37PM - In reply to pipppa
I was disgusted too.  I wouldn't have ANY problem saying no FIRMLY to her.

Replied By: skbee1980 on Aug 12, 2009, 7:35PM - In reply to starlett
I was raised like you were too.  I liked working and getting a paycheck.  My parents never felt guilty when they said no to me.  I never wanted to put pressure on my mom anyway by whining for things I knew they couldn't afford.  I loved my mom and wouldn't do that to her. It wouldn't have worked even if I tried it as well.  It would have angered her to be nagged once she said no.  This mother on the show would think it was cute, I just know.
The cheerleader girl bugs me too.  She isn't cute and I'm disgusted.

Showing 1-10 of total 99 Comments