Twitter Facebook YouTube

2009 Shows

(Original Air Date: 04/30/09) What happens when the pursuit of a dream causes tension in your family? How long do you struggle before it's time to give up your goals, get real and move on with your life? Dr. Phil's guests are husbands and fathers who strive to become stars in the music industry, but are they putting their family's future at risk along the way? Dan says he has several dreams he chases, and he gave up a successful full-time job to pursue a career as a pianist and songwriter. His wife, Sharon, is fed up, wants him to focus on one goal and devote more time to his family. They've had to file bankruptcy, but the toll extends far beyond the money. What must Dan do to salvage his relationship? Then, Cristin says her husband, Jaye, puts his dream to produce hit rap music before his family's needs. He even bought music equipment instead of paying their gas bill. Cristin says she's ready to pack her bags and leave, again, if Jaye doesn't step away from the synthesizer and step into their family. Is Jaye's dream a pipe dream or does he have real talent? Find out when both Dan and Jaye are critiqued by legendary music producer David Foster. And, American Idol finalist Kimberly Caldwell shares her advice for making it in the biz. Plus, can you guess what jobs celebrities held before becoming famous? Take a quiz and find out!

Find out what happened on the show.
Comments
Replied By: marcat1957 on Dec 1, 2011, 8:51AM
Dr Phil, those 2 man children make me physically ill. They are lazy, self centered, little boys.  Why does it seem that the ones who say "my family is everything to me" are the ones who spend the least time and effort building their families and children's relationships?  Once the children are born, that should always be the main dream, shared by mother and father, one dream, shared by two. Once the children are born EVERYTHING ELSE including those silly pipe dreams are secondary. These are the choices responsible parents make.
If they would drop the child's play and" man up", they would be surprised how the wife and children blossom!
They have "The American Idol Syndrome" . 

Sincerely,  Catherine

Replied By: peace000 on Aug 9, 2009, 1:46PM
As far as I'm concerned Dan should follow what he wants to be and nothing at all; and if I were in his shose I would do the same , and I think your wife should be the first one who should supports you .if you dont find yourself working just give and live with your dreams.
That's my points and I hope Dan chose the best
thanks
Oudra Abdltife from Morocco

Replied By: kathleen27 on Aug 4, 2009, 12:36PM - In reply to mstubbs80909
I like what you said.  Dreams are not something I like to crush, but until the dream becomes a reality, it's best to fly solo.  God forbid, you start to resent your family, blaming them for keeping you down.  Children don't just get here by themselves, but once you make that choice, they should be THE number 1 priority.
It's no crime to not get married or to not have children.   Often, in doing so prematurely, you've dumped your dreams yourself, but now have others to blame. 

Replied By: hgwilt on Aug 4, 2009, 2:39AM - In reply to dubski
Yes I've been singing for 24 years now. I see both Jay and Dan's point into the music business as I do too. I'm member of a choir in my town. In 1999 when I was 15 I wanted to become a singer for Cirque Du Soleil. Snice I was 18 I praticed and particed more now at 24 years old I still pratice 2 a day and maybe more... I know someday I'll be working for Cirque. Plus I'm in college and studying Arts & Entertainment so, that will help. One of my friend was a waiter in New York before he was a singer for cirque. Some family do travel with their spuose and kids are performing and everything works for them.

Replied By: dubski on Aug 3, 2009, 3:50PM
If your dream is to MAKE music, great--and these guys are doing fine at that. But flushing your family down the toilet because you think music should be making something FOR you...well, that's just wrong. If you really have talent and passion, then you have two possible paths to success: GET AN EDUCATION or WIN AMERICAN IDOL.

I've been teaching music for years, but I had to put that dream on hold for about 15 years to SUPPORT MY FAMILY while I finished my education. Get real!

Replied By: quinnlin on Aug 3, 2009, 3:36PM
Dr. Phil, I really don't  know  how you can listen to some of the things that people say.  I do wish I had your tolerance.    I would just like to say.   Does it really take a life time to grow up and take care of what you have started with these children.  I don't claim, that I have always done the best thing.   But I gave it all I had.        Your show is the best thing since Opra.                                                                                      Thank you,     Elizabeth Dean

Replied By: renewables on Aug 3, 2009, 1:47PM
I have replied to many shows and this is another that I need to reply to.  I may have before, I don't remember.  I am a poet who has websites that are international.  People know me for my poetry and not for  songs.  I was told that my poetry waws just that, poetry.  I walked away from everything because of this.  Don't let these people walk away.  The costs are to great.  I know, I'm living it.   But, they need to be lower their exeictations a little bit.  Be happy with what you have.,

Replied By: mstubbs80909 on Aug 3, 2009, 1:08PM
Don't get me wrong there is nothing wrong with persuing a dream.
But there are a few things to consider:
Do you really have what it takes? Talent? Financial resources?
When you have decided to have a family first, the family comes first.
Is it worth to risk your family for a dream that is not coming true,
or getting into huge amounts of debt?
Certainly not...I would think twice.

Replied By: mbc1963 on Aug 3, 2009, 12:53PM
I can't believe this guy Jaye would allow his wife to take charity money to pay her gas bill so he can buy a ridiculously expensive piece of musical equipment.

The monty that church has set aside to give to charity cases is meant to take care of emergency needs: clothing for families that have lose their homes to fire, shelter for women who've fled violent spouses.  It's not supposed to fund this guy's musical pipe dream.  Morally, ethically, and practically, this Jaye needs to be pay that charity back, with interest.  Maybe if he spent a couple days working with the people who are meant to receive money from that charity, he'd get a little perspective on what's important in life.

Shame on you, Jaye. When you speak, you sound like a spoiled teenage boy.  Be a man. 

Replied By: yesyoucan on Aug 3, 2009, 7:17AM

Dr. Phil and family are sharing vacation pics in AUSTRALIA... and have been chit chatting with us on twitter and Dr. Phil's blog for over a month. Where have y'all been? Wish you were there too.

http://blog.drphil.com/

http://twitter.com/DrPhil

http://twitter.com/jaymcgraw

http://twitter.com/robin_mcgraw

http://twitter.com/penninca (Dr. Phil Show Producer, Carla)

Sincerely,

http://twitter.com/SEAangels14

P.S. Hope y'all don't miss out with LIVE chat with Dr. Phil & family

Showing 1-10 of total 70 Comments