Depression and Grief

This content requires the Adobe Flash Player and a browser with JavaScript enabled. Please install the latest version of the Adobe Flash Player.

Get Adobe Flash Player

Are you overwhelmed with dark feelings of despair? Have you suffered a loss and are having a difficult time coping? If you or someone you love is suffering from depression or is grief-stricken, you know it can be a struggle, but you don’t need to suffer in silence. Share your story here.

If you need immediate assistance, please call your local emergency number or crisis hotline listed in your local phone book's government pages.

Click here for General and Mental Health Resources.

Soon the Community will be closing down on DrPhil.com. Please log in to your account now to save any content, including images, posts, blogs and comments from your profile that you would like to keep, prior to the section being inaccessible.

Just because the community is closing doesn’t mean the discussions are ending. We still want to hear from you and encourage you to join the conversations on Dr. Phil’s social media channels! You'll be able to find exclusive show content, behind-the-scenes footage, personal Dr. Phil photos and more! And, you can join active viewer conversations.

Come join us:

Facebook
Twitter
Instagram
YouTube
Comments
Replied By: mrd1986 on Oct 9, 2017, 12:31PM
I’m brand new, and was hoping to find a place to connect with others who are facing the same struggles. I’m very disappointed that this is being taken down😢

Replied By: catluv1 on Sep 29, 2017, 7:59PM - In reply to yesyoucan
So many memories of being uplifted from this site mainly from you but there are some others who I remember fondly. 

Do they say why they're closing the boards down?  It's sort of sad because I think they were/are very useful.  

Oh well.  I'm sure there are other sites and at least there's fb for those who want to, to keep in touch.  

And now, time to cuddle with my kitties and watch some tv.....somethings will never change!  lol

Replied By: yesyoucan on Sep 29, 2017, 7:47PM - In reply to catluv1
Thank you.  Look what I found from I think eleven years ago.  Remember, when I did SELF MATTERS acrostic poems for everyone here?  Have a blessed every moment Suzanee...  Love you, too, angel...

SELF MATTERS INCLUDES SUZANNE 
God Bless Suzanne and God Bless Suzanne A Lot  

uzanne is a lefty with a right way of thinking 
nderstanding and kind and lots of fun too  
ips right in carrying smiles to share along her way  
ngels watch over Suzanne blessing her with spirituality  
ever will Suzanne forget SELF MATTERS includes Suzanne  
ow, you may have noticed she photographs well and loves pets that say meow  
very day will get better and better as Suzanne looks through her lens to gain focus  

Replied By: catluv1 on Sep 27, 2017, 9:30AM - In reply to yesyoucan
Wow, I haven't been on here since I can remember.  After you mentioning the boards were closing down on fb (did they give a reason??) I figured I'd stop by.  I don't even know how many years you have been on here but just glancing through some of posts, I see you are still being the supportive, welcoming, funny, compassionate person you've always been.  From my own experience, you really were a life saver.  I remember times where I felt alone or hopeless and you were a huge part of helping me keep it together and inspiring me to look up and know things can always change.  Your humor and our fun little 'banter' could always make me smile.  I can't say I never get the blues anymore because believe me, I do!  At least now I know they pass and that sometimes I have to accept feeling down and riding it out until things pick up again.  I really have learned to become my own best friend which does take a load off.  I'm not always happy with myself but at least now I know that the only persons expectations I have to live up to are mine.  I won't go on and on and on.....lol  but I want you to know that you have (obviously) been an integral part of this board.  I've also made a few other friends on here from way back when who I still see on fb.  This seems like the end of an era!  Stay in touch....Love you!  Suzanne/catluv1

Replied By: yesyoucan on Sep 25, 2017, 10:58PM
Praying y'all and everyone a blessed every day.  So keep your eyes open so that you don't miss a single blessing prayed your ways.  So often when I prayed I left out the main ingredient BELIEVING that my prayers would be answered only to see in 20/20 hindsight.  So BELIEVE and have faith in you and that you are deserving of your prayers being answered so you see.  Dr. Phil says, "You are never alone if you are there for you."  BE THERE.  Dr. Phil says too, "You are the one who talks to you all day every day.  Characterize messages that you send yourself with a rational, productive optimism."  We don't learn to think positive through osmosis we learn to by practice, practice, practice.  Keep reaching out and within until you find the help that helps because SELF MATTERS INCLUDES YOU.  Me too.  WE too.  All the best to all... always...

Replied By: yesyoucan on Sep 25, 2017, 10:46PM - In reply to skylarquinn
I'm so sorry for the loss of your dad.  Many think the best thing is to change the subject yet wasn't for me either.  So, I joined a grief support group.  As well, I began watching Joel Osteen on TV.  He still talks about losing his dad although I didn't begin watching him until I lost my mother, too.  I would wake up the same time the nurse called me to tell me mother had passed and just happened to have on the channel that Joel Osteen comes on.  It is easy to become entombed in grief and I did that both when dad and mother passed away.  Eventually, I realized that mom and dad wouldn't want me to be so sad even though very sad to lose them.  So, now, I celebrate their memories.  I collect seashells in memory of my mother.  Ive written poetry like "Cherry Blossom Goodbye" etc.  Even coming here can be healing.  Even now I'll have sporadic grief yet I think that's normal because things remind you.  Or, you see something that you'd love to tell person gone about and can't.  I was with my mother and father when they both passed and it is hard even if there.  It is like you are so shocked that you don't think of things that you wished you said until later.  Or, at least I didn't.  

I think we all bank on there being a heaven so much that we sometimes forget to appreciarte and validate persons while here enough, generally speaking.  (John Edward says to "appreciate and validate" loved ones while here.)  Seldom do we think what less we could of done when a loved one passes and only what more we could have done.  So, I sure hope there's a heaven.  Once when feeling insecure there might not be a heaven and I'd never see my parents again I prayed for a sign from God all the while apologizing for being a "doubting Thomas."  When I looked up I saw out the kitchen window over 100 bright yellow chrysanthemums that had bloomed for the first time from a plant that I'd planted that was given to me when mother passed away.  Bloomed the same week of mother's and my birthdays in October. I did the same thing here on the farm we moved to four years ago while grieving those yellow chrysanthemums I'd planted at the other house.  Amazing grace looked up and bright yellow daffodils.  Who knew daffodils grew in the wild in February?  Do here on the farm.

Replied By: skylarquinn on Sep 8, 2017, 2:29PM - In reply to invisible101
My name is heather, and trust me I've been where you are and sometimes still am. Bipolar is a very isolating disease and if you're lucky youll find at least one family member or friend who understands and can sympathize. I know it's not the same as empathy, but you'll need some form of support. Do your research. Find a GOOD psychiatrist and get on a medicine regiment. I say find a good one because I've had years of borderline inappropriate and ones, even one who I was convinced was self medicating and had anger issues. I'm on a lot of meds which have a lot of side effects. My advice is for them to give you as little as possible or you run the risk of having your own pharmacy.  Do you have bp w mixed episodes, bp 1, and/or bp2. If you need clarification on the differences I can help you. One last thing, find your "manic" tendencies quickly, because more often than not they're extremely self destructive behaviors (drinking, drugs, shopping, sex w ppl you wouldn't have, etc). Some ppl can channel the extra energy into something creative, I personally get unreasonably angry. I know the diagnosis seems daunting, but for most ppl it's manageable. If you have any questions, anything, contact me. My heart goes out to you and everyone w serious mental illness... good luck

Replied By: skylarquinn on Sep 8, 2017, 1:22PM

Hi,my father passed away 5.5.17.  his birthday was September 4th. That day I had to go to the hospital because my anxiety was so out of control that they needed to give me morphine and IV xanax. I still talk to my dad, mostly for strength. He was an awesome, intelligent,funny, and compassion person, but he was flawed.  He suffered from chronic pain like I do, which can change a persons personality (irritability, seeking comfort, etc.).  My mother was there when he passed (in NJ). I had just moved cross country to OR, so I never got to say goodbye or see him.  There was no funeral, a quick cremation, and some questionable comments from my mom Right after it happened.  I've been begging for his ashes or even to talk about it with my grandmother or mother and each time they shut me down.  I know there are five stages of grief and I am nowhere near acceptance. Can anyone relate?  Dr. Phil, are you out there?  Any advice?

Replied By: safarimom10 on Sep 4, 2017, 4:17PM
Dr. Phil.

We we're extremely excited to watch your show today,my daughter suffers from extreme anxiety and I believe PTSD from abuse. We were hoping your show would help more with tools that she could use for ber mental state. She suffers from some kind of social anxiety disorder which makes appointments difficult for her and Dr on demand isn't in our budget. It was disappointing there was really no tops for people like us who wouldn't make the show for help although if you knew our story we may make the cut..lol a few have suggested I write a book. Is there any tools available for us? 

Thanks Dr Phil we love you Robin and your show

Replied By: yesyoucan on Jun 24, 2017, 6:40PM - In reply to invisible101
So sorry to hear of your loss.  Writing poetry like below helps me and some have said the poem below has helped them.  We all share here what works for each of us and when you find what works for you and I think you will, I hope you share, too.  We are all inviduals so what works for me or someone else here isn't a guarantee will for you yet each one of us sure hopes will.  One person here said her mother said, "One day, one tear, one smile at a time."  Watching Joel Osteen helped me when mother passed away.  My collie mix helped me too because for the first time he began getting in bed with me when I wsn't getting up at usual time and kept scooting his back as close as he could to mine like, "I'm still here."  I realized it wasn't going to help becoming entombed in grief and that mother nor dad nor grandmother would want me to.  My entire cheering section almost gone.  Dr. Phil is right though that, "You are never alone if you are there for you."  When I felt my most saddest I now see it was when I wasn't there for me.  So I always add to Dr. Phil quote.  BE THERE.

DESTINATION POWER OF CHOICE

I found a large bag a sadness
While packing for my trip into today
With another larger bag of stress
Weighting down my shoulders heavily

I didn't want to forget my pains
Hurts and disappointments bags
Nor could I leave my regrets I'd packed
In Would've, Could've, Should've bags

While looking in the closets of my life
I saw luggage from lessons failed and passed
Smiles and frowns and grins and strife