Depression and Grief

This content requires the Adobe Flash Player and a browser with JavaScript enabled. Please install the latest version of the Adobe Flash Player.

Get Adobe Flash Player

Are you overwhelmed with dark feelings of despair? Have you suffered a loss and are having a difficult time coping? If you or someone you love is suffering from depression or is grief-stricken, you know it can be a struggle, but you don’t need to suffer in silence. Share your story here.

If you need immediate assistance, please call your local emergency number or crisis hotline listed in your local phone book's government pages.

Click here for General and Mental Health Resources.
Comments
Replied By: mkwesty on Feb 21, 2017, 12:07PM
I beg for inpatient treatment help, I was just fired and don't have much money, i own a truck and a old mobile home, and have about $1,000. Ive been severely depressed for 2 yrs straight, iv'e lost contact with everyone and everything. in the last 2years at one point i didn't get off the couch for 6months, I'd stare at tv not even registering anything for. I've always been the leader in groups and work situation, the life of party person. I've lost everyone cause i can't tell the truth, i make up lies to sound like im ok but now have lost everyone do to lies. In my last 2 years its been terrible always just thinking to myself im worthless, hopeless, and think of death daily. I have a 4 year old Wiem dog and honestly if it wasnt for her i think i'de be gone already. I've always just tried to tell my mind i'm weak get over it. Yesterday i saw a depression episode on Dr Phil and for 48hrs straight i've been watching these videos crying and thinking maybe this is something i can get over. maybe this is exactly what i need. I've never once been one to ask for help but i've gotten so extreme it scares me. I've been a commercial construction superintendent for 10+ years and if anyone knows a place that would maybe trade work for residential treatments etc I'd be forever gratefull. I feel this is my only chance to understand wants going on and how to learn to live with this hopelessness because i'm at the end of the rope. I've lost everyone from this i only have me and my dog. I take 25 unisoms a night just to try and sleep for a couple hours. This is my 7th day in a row just staring off into space but have computer and tv going and have no clue about anything i've watched, when i saw that episode and started balling then you tubeing all these videos, it makes sense now that this truley is something that can become unbarable. I'm there i actually think i'm way past there and im begging for the help i so desparately need. I'm willing to work whatever i can due to aid in treatment i'll give it my all. My credit is terrible so a loan just won't work, all i can say is please i beg for the help, i just don't see myself moving on without this help, im a prisoner in my own body. Thanks to everyone that's willing to help. mkwesty@gmail

Replied By: ericamm98 on Feb 13, 2017, 11:29AM
After watching part of the episode with the feuding stepfather and teen dalighter, it was like seeing myself. Except my stepdad would get physical with me, and constantly instigated arguments with me. I have always been the good child. He brainwashed my mom and brother against me cause I always stood up for myself against him. My family would blame me for his behavior. They would force me into therapy, telling me I am the only one who needed to change. He ruined my childhood all because my mom couldn't in me. Even after the divorce, my mom and grandma still find ways to make everything my fault. The constant stress I'm under with thme has caused physica ailments. I don't know what to do. I'm tired of being the scapegoat. I don't want to have to leave my family. But they are pushing me away.

Replied By: rclements413 on Feb 12, 2017, 10:45PM
my wife has a number of problems and is extremely, extremely depressed. I believe one of the problems is from dementia. this is an opinion, not diagnosed. her short and long term memory are not very good. she will not consder getting help. i would like some guidance on whether to try to get her to understand that she doesn't remember thing. I don't know whether talking about her memory problem will just depress her even more. any thooughts???

Replied By: trishdevorss41 on Feb 11, 2017, 9:14AM
I have PTSD from my family abuse rape and self hate. I became a mom in my twenties with out any skills or support. I looked for love in any face I had two children then and history repeated its self and I lost custody of my girls and had to fight the state in the end I did get the help I needed and so did my girls. I now have four children and life is great with my husband I do miss my daughter shanoah Perkins I haven't seen her in 10 years.

Replied By: zravenmadge on Feb 4, 2017, 7:50PM
Dr phil once said that children don't need medication at all and ruins their body of growth and alters it.

Seen a woman of medicine and had no life of looking like a zombie of pale white, of a worker to take her places and sad.  As if her brain was not working at all.  Of having to have her as a client of a site, said no one should be like that.   Young of age 20's of having to have a person as if home health aid don't support.

Replied By: yesyoucan on Feb 2, 2017, 9:15AM - In reply to twokidsgone
So sorry for all your losses.  That's a lot of family to lose.  Watching Joel Osteen on TV helps me since he often talks about his dearly departed dad and celebrates his dad's memory.  Just Google to see if you'd enjoy Joel Osteen...  Some do/others don't.  My parents and grandmother were my loudest cheering section and that's what I miss most.  Joel Osteen is a cheerleader for life to discover the champion in you. I watch since he points my thoughts in a positive direction.  I think that he's been on the Dr. Phil Show.  A lot of his no nonsense practical upbeat advice echoes that of Dr. Phil.

Your wanting to do something positive in memory of your loved ones IS EXACTLY how I began coming on here June 2003, after my mother passed away February 10, 2003.  I had discovered Dr. Phil Website and saw a man posting his suicide note.  Then, I was unaware that there are moderators.  I immediately logged in to ask him to choose life.  I suggested live link above top post here GENERAL AND MENTAL HEALTH RESOURCES of help info and added to website in 2005.  Many didn't realize a live link so I suggested "Click Here" be added:  Click here for General and Mental Health Resources.  Suggested Internatonal Domestic Violence link be added:  WAS.  (Suggested international link since persons from all over the world post on Dr. Phil Website.)  A moderator emailed me once asking me to talk to a woman very sad since needed dental work so her children wouldn't be embarrassed of her (she has since had dental work done).  

Until live link of help info put up on Dr. Phil Website and a continuous message board and archived every month until about 2005.  Every month on first page I'd list a list of help numbers that myself and other fellow members here helped complie.  Persons would seek me out elsewhere online and say "A new message board...  Hurry up and post help info so on first page."  To condense a lengthy story that spans 13 years and for six years (2003-2009) 20 to 40 plus hours a week here  (posting suicide prevention etc. help info) when message boards more active...  

I began unofficially volunteering here in memory of my parents and grandmother since hurt(s) incredibly bad that they are no longer here.  It is always TOO SOON to lose a loved one yet if preventable that's a TOO SOON that's, hopefully, avoidable.  PREVENTION IS THE BEST INTERVENTION...  Your desire to help others could very well save a life.  Over 20 here, over the years, said that I helped them choose life.  I guess that's why I still pop in once in awhile.

Replied By: yesyoucan on Feb 2, 2017, 9:01AM - In reply to boobooxx20
I'm SO sorry for your loss.  What was listed as the cause of death?  This is incredibly sad and suspicious from what you said.  Hope that you find the answers that you deserve.  (HUGs)

Replied By: yesyoucan on Feb 2, 2017, 8:57AM - In reply to mrsjodoin
You sound very level headed and determined to help your son learn to use his own wings now.  I wish you the best of luck.  Life is mostly habit and your son, as many, needs to delegate his time better.  Far too many are being sucked into computers, losing track of time and their lives.  Healthy habits leads to a healthy life.  Unhealthy habits lead to an unhealthy life.  You are so right staying up late and too much time on computer unhealthy.  Although, since it sounds like he loves computers so much maybe he could search for work in that area and get paid for being on computers...  Have a blessed every day and thank you for the reply...

Replied By: boobooxx20 on Jan 19, 2017, 10:48AM
I had my 3 year old in the care for a simple sleepover at her godparents house. The godmother was at work but the godfather was home, he has high on marijuana, now my son was put to bed, my beautiful daughter was not. He gave her a hotdog because she claimed to be hungry, my child was never hungry e.g. hated good and he forced her to eat when she was there and we never had a problem prior to. I believe he killed her because I have offered him money to take a paid by me lie DETECTOR and he won't. I am very lost and I have asked Dr Phil to bring us to the show, where he will then answer these questions before i lie my mind as a mother, its been a little over a half of a year and I cant take another day without answers. Every day I wait, I am one day closer to a prison bid and solving the problem.

Replied By: mrsjodoin on Jan 19, 2017, 9:45AM - In reply to yesyoucan
Yes, he is doing better, little by little, he is becoming more open to suggestions on jobs to apply for...I work in retail and I ask EVERYONE if they mention their job, if they are hiring, I had a nice talk with him the other day, and he actually seemed to be listening...he seems to think that he is being pushed out...that I just want him gone because he is a "burden" so I explained to him, that I want him to be indepenent for HIM, NOT FOR ME.. I told him that being 22 years old, he is know longer a baby bird and that as his Mother, I will push, give him encouragement, and the tools he needs...to be out on his own path...and that under no circumstances is sitting around on his computer, staying up all night, sleeping all day, and having no motivation good for him, and that if he decides he needs help with his depression, that at 22 he is going to have to ask for help, that I can do it for him, but I think that he should do it on his own...Thank you for your reply though...I appreciate any and all input 😊

Showing 1-10 of total 7678 Comments