Twitter Facebook YouTube

Depression and Grief

This content requires the Adobe Flash Player and a browser with JavaScript enabled. Please install the latest version of the Adobe Flash Player.

Get Adobe Flash Player

Are you overwhelmed with dark feelings of despair? Have you suffered a loss and are having a difficult time coping? If you or someone you love is suffering from depression or is grief-stricken, you know it can be a struggle, but you don’t need to suffer in silence. Share your story here.

If you need immediate assistance, please call your local emergency number or crisis hotline listed in your local phone book's government pages.

Click here for General and Mental Health Resources.
Comments
Replied By: cynthiab115 on Oct 15, 2014, 4:39PM
I lost the love of my life 11 1/2 weeks ago. We were together for 15 years. I still can't believe he's gone. Just don't know why they took him away from me.

Replied By: angieschlueter on Oct 15, 2014, 9:36AM
My kids lost their father a year ago to suicide....we were married for twenty years but seperated after fifteen years.....we became really good friends after the seperation, we did this for our children. Each of us still cared for one another..he even came to my wedding a year ago in july. My thing is with all this is he had a history ofdepression...and this wasnt his first attempt..but I just feel so guilty for not seeing the signs..pr of the morning it happened when he posted on face book something to his kids...I carry a huge amount of guilt for.not figuring it out. I feelmi let my kids down, him down..sometimes I wonder if this ffeeling will ever go away..its been a year now and I still feel like it was yesterday...

Replied By: bychancethomas on Oct 12, 2014, 11:36PM - In reply to lyman1961
You can become that loving person you want to be.  A day at a time is all you need.  What he did to you was horrible.  Don't allow him to take the rest of your life away from you.  Please don't give him that power.  He belongs behind bars not you.

I'll never understand how anyone can do that to a child.  They deserve to be castrated.  While I can't pretend to know how you feel, I hear what you're saying and why you've been angry.

Good for you for coming forward and talking about it.  This is a step in the right direction.

(((hugs)))

Replied By: lyman1961 on Oct 12, 2014, 7:06AM
My Demons from my past haunt me still till this day..my depression has gotten worse over time..Sure on the outside everything looks fine..But no one knows what I deal with on a daily basis..A lot of people have said I am a very cold person when I'm being attacked.That I show lack of emotion or love and even compassion..If I could only tell someone why!!! why when I was 8 my innocence was taken from me..The sexual Abuse I suffered has never been spoken of until today ..44 years I've held it all in.thinking I could handle it..but it changed my whole life turning me into a person I should have never become.Im depressed because I never had the chance to become a loving person..I always thought when I became an.Adult it was up to me to change it..we'll that was something I was incapable of doing..I've been to many counselera and never let them know what happened to me.So I guess there was no way they could truely help me..My depression now has come full circle...I grieve for the young boy I once was..I feel the only way to release this is to confront the person who stole my youth..My fear is that he will say something like it never happened..And at this point in my life at 52 ..I've lived my life ..So if I do something which sends me away forever so be it..He will never pay for his crimes either way.I want my depression to end.

Replied By: yesyoucan on Oct 8, 2014, 4:31PM
GOD PLEASE REPLY 
Prayed by SEA 

If ever you reach out in word 
And feel like no one heard 
To me each message that I see 
Are like prayers rising up to Thee 

After you left with all your tears 
Combined with all your haunting fears 
People stopped to read words you left 
Sending prayers for you to be blessed 

Parting prayers prayed to help you some 
So you feel uplifted when here you come 
And when no one knows what to say 
Now and then know for you many pray 

Thus if after you bare your soul 
You feel like no one heard... not one soul 
I wanted you to know... many stopped by 
Saying prayers for you... signed, "please reply"

Replied By: yesyoucan on Oct 8, 2014, 4:24PM - In reply to simbatopcat
Glad y'all were posting here on message boards for karenmcconnell when nobody else was.  Always beautiful to me seeing how so often persons here reach out from beyond their own pain to hug others here with their compassionate words.

Replied By: yesyoucan on Oct 8, 2014, 4:02PM - In reply to candi_123
What are your fondest memories of your son?  Like I tell other members who have lost a loved one.  Calling a Hospital Chaplain or Social worker might be a good way to locate an ongoing Grief Counseling Group or even one just beginning.  Usually are free to 50 cents or so each meeting.  Whatever members can afford.  Dr. Phil had a heart gripping story that he told parents who lost a child.  How their child wanted to join other children in heaven walking into the light holding candles yet their parents tears kept putting out his light so he couldn't see to catch up.  Brings me to tears each time I think of that.  

Watching Joel Osteen helped me after mother passed.  Walks helped me then and after dad passed.  Like you i was GREATLY offended when everyone changed the subject whenever I even brought up fond memories of mother.  Meant well not wanting me to grieve yet grieving is natural yet, too, our loved ones don't want us to become entombed in grief.  I mostly celebrate the memory of my dearly departed loved ones now:  collect seashells since my mother loved the beach.  baking reminds me of grandmother & lots of things remind me of my dad etc.

Replied By: yesyoucan on Oct 8, 2014, 3:52PM - In reply to karenmcconnell
Call a Chaplain or Hospital Social Worker to see if there is Grief Counseling Group nearby you.  Cleaning house can be very therapeutic.  I know few people who run to volunteer to do house chores.  We all just go on and do it.  No, I didn't say it is easy.  What's more unjust than the injustice of your being fired from a job is you firing yourself from life.  So, roll up your sleeves because you ARE worth fighting for so, "never, never, never give up."  

If you are that far behind on chores you likely subconsciously push others away so won't see.  Lots of things we cannot control in life.  I'm not asking if you if you feel like getting up and digging yourself out of piled up chores of laundry and housework. A few here began 15 minute rule of just committing to 15 minutes every few hours. You'd be surprised how that CAN get you back in the groove.  Sure you can commit to proving me wrong.  Instead why don't you prove yourself right that you are worth not firing and get back on the job there you fired yourself from.

Dr. Phil gives this number on page 255 of one of his books: 1-800-964-2000 (Referral to psychologist number Dr. Phil suggests.  You can mention you are without insurance as entity may likely know of a program that you qualify for.)  I believe Dr. Phil's style of counseling is CBT.  

Remember too that checking out permanently can be a way to not cope that other family members might try like your grandbabies so checking out is not an option.  Your life is awaiting for you to live again.  Start right now committing to whittle away at piled up chores.  Often the only reason we don't see how things will work out isn't since won't and ONLY since haven't yet.  "You are never alone if you are there for you."  BE THERE...  Also, glad you joined us here.  Your fellow member, SEA

Replied By: candi_123 on Oct 8, 2014, 11:14AM
My son passed away from cancer at age four. It's only been four years since his death. Please help me t anyone else who can relate or will listen. My family members don't talk about it and act like I should just get over it. Should I? I have a therapist that tries to help, but it's not enough. I'm living in a life that is a lie almost. I deal with this silently because other people are over it. What do I do? Should I just get over it? My child is gone from this World, but I'm his mother! I can't just forget about one of my children! Why do people who love me not HELP me? Should they still care too? Or am I just feeling sorry for myself and my little boy? Am I just a grieving mother gone crazy? My family acts like nothing happened. It hurts badly still. If anyone can help me or relate.... Please respond! My heart is broken. I hope it's not forever. 

Replied By: candi_123 on Oct 8, 2014, 10:27AM - In reply to karenmcconnell
I really understand. Keep reaching out to people for help. My heart goes out to you. Don't give up !

Showing 1-10 of total 7361 Comments