Twitter Facebook YouTube

Depression and Grief

This content requires the Adobe Flash Player and a browser with JavaScript enabled. Please install the latest version of the Adobe Flash Player.

Get Adobe Flash Player

Are you overwhelmed with dark feelings of despair? Have you suffered a loss and are having a difficult time coping? If you or someone you love is suffering from depression or is grief-stricken, you know it can be a struggle, but you don’t need to suffer in silence. Share your story here.

If you need immediate assistance, please call your local emergency number or crisis hotline listed in your local phone book's government pages.

Click here for General and Mental Health Resources.
Comments
Replied By: sundaiz on Nov 25, 2014, 6:47PM
I have suffered multiple head injuries. the most recent was due to a car wreck. chiropractor Barry Roberts diagnosed Me with Post Concussion Syndrome. Two years later I bullied my Lawyer to send Me for a psych evaluation. The result of that was I had MTBI. 

I thouroughly dislike America's Funniest Video's because of the humor people find in someone being "Bonked' on the head. 

I recently ran into a couple I went to school with. I was telling the husband that I had MTBI due to a head injury and He started laughing. That made Me remember all the fly balls that hit me in the face in grade school gym softball. It happened too often to count. And it hurt worse because of the laughter.

My first injury was when I was around 18 mos old and my Mom and Aunt put my cousin in the playpen with me. I had a wooden radio toy..it was a music box. My cousin and I struggled over it and when He finally had it He hit me with it, and I had My first concussion.

I was walking home from school one day, by myself, when two boys from my class passed by in a car and one of them threw thier clay art project at me and hit me in the head. I came to got up from the ground and cried all the way home.

In sixth grade two of my friends and our sisters were walking home from school, I had gotten a little ahead of them when One of them asked me something. I turned to look back at them. thats when a younger boy stepped out from behind a tree and hit me in the head with a large piece of  asphalt. I came to staring at the sky about half a block from where we started, My friends and little sisters were all crying they thought I was dead. Again I had a concussion.

I made poor grades in school and was held to my brothers high standard. Its a miracle i made it to graduation. I hated school. I hated report card time and I waited until I was 29 yrs old before I went back for a few hours a week at community college.

I was working for the City of Tulsa when I fell off a roof and did a full body slam on the ground. My face bounced off the ground. My most noticeable injuries were my broken hip and elbow. WC dr's didn 't search for any other injuries.

I now work four hours a day, three days a week. I have poor cognitive skills, I have auditory perception deficit. I get exhausted from the four hours a day I work.

I was at a friends grandaughters birthday party last year. the child was trying to get on the concret picnic table bench. She slipped backwards and hit her head. hard. Everyone but Me laughed. It brought tears to my eyes then and again right now. HEAD INJURIES ARENT FUNNY.

Replied By: yesyoucan on Nov 23, 2014, 12:12PM - In reply to bambib8
I have felt as you for many reasons.  Some I can pin point... others I can not.  Even not enough water or if blood sugar too high or thyroid problems can do a number on our body chemistry.  Sodium in ham has me in twilight zone.  Stressful events have me on the edge... (then writing a page of "Fear Not. Have Faith" helps because of word association with our feelings).  Equalizing breathing can help, Dr. Phil and his son, Jay, have said in their books: breathing in and out to exact same count of 3, 5, or 7...  Three the most recent count Dr. Phil gave on his son's show, THE DOCTORS.  Breathe in healing.  breathe out stress calmly breathing in 1,2,3 then out 1,2, 3.  Gently touch tips of fingers each time calmly breathe in and out to count of 3 to ground and reconnect with yourself.  Do five times right now if want to try...

Also, if using heat... carbon monoxide poisoning is a possibility for all of us this time of year... so if when you leave house and get fresh air you feel better... Could be that or just that you need to oxygenate your brain walking which can also raise endorphin level and help you recalibrate thoughts too.  We are all individuals and you just have to keep being proactive, as you were coming here, until you find what works for you.  If this is recent it'd be good to think what has changed in your life recently from diet to habits to even just turning on heat etc.  That said, you could have developed a blood chemistry issue so always good to have blood work physical once in awhile.

Scroll down at first link and begin reading at HOME CARE:  http://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/ency/article/003213.htm 

You may or may not be interested in above link or below number...

Referral to psychologist number Dr. Phil suggests on page 255 of one of his books: 1-800- 964-2000  

Hope you found something helpful in what I said.  If not, "never, never, never give up," until you find what clicks with you as an individual.  SELF MATTERS INCLUDES YOU.

Replied By: dawnmae on Nov 21, 2014, 3:53AM - In reply to frannyfarkle
First I don't have any insurance, and won't for about 3 months. While I think I qualify for medicaid, I applied before I was put on a waiting list.  I'm not good at asking for help, not that I think I don't deserve it but that it never comes. And being away from my cats would just make me worse. When I'm with them I'm happy, peaceful, and content. Away from them I become sad and I suppose guarded would be a good word, never letting anyone see me. Which I do realize that I could also be blocking people from helping me. I think my biggest pet peeve, no pun intended, is that no one seems to be hearing me. I realize that Dr. Phil is a very busy man, but my friend's therapist said that suicide threats can't be ignored. I feel that I am being ignored by someone whose help I am seeking. But thank you for listening and caring.

Dawn

Replied By: frannyfarkle on Nov 20, 2014, 1:17PM - In reply to dawnmae
While I am no stranger to depression to the point of having suicidal ideation, I do know that one must reach out UNTIL you find that one source of help that you need.  I am surprised that the "hotline" you used was not helpful for you because I've used the National Suicide Hotline and I found them helpful.  Last month they even found it necessary to call an ambulance for me because they knew I was in a life or death situation.  I am sorry about the things that you're going through; depending on your insurance, you CAN present youself to any ER (as I've done a few times) and asked them to keep me until THEY determined  that i was no longer a threat to myself or anyone else.  As for your cats, there maybe be someone in a local animal shelter who may be able ot CARE FOR your the cats while you seek help.

Don't give up, you are stronger than you think you are.

Replied By: dawnmae on Nov 19, 2014, 4:48AM
I called the prevention hotline about a month or so ago, and while I am still here I did not feel that the person on the other end of the phone was at helpful. I've also reached out to the Dr. Phil show numerous times for help. But no one helps. I am struggling, I am in danger of losing my home. The ONLY thing keeping me alive are my 12 cats. The house is in my mother's name she is in a nursing home with severe dementia, and the court awarded custody of her and her estate to the local aging and adult. While my home may be "toxic" to someone who first walks in, I do not notice the smell.
Going to a hospital for suicide prevention, I fear losing any or all of my animals, which would certainly not prevent me from suicide. Without them I have NOTHING to live for.
I just started a job, and it doesn't pay much, and while I may qualify for housing assistance. Most places have limits on how many pets I'm allowed. I WILL NOT give any of them up. I would rather have them all put to sleep and take my own life than live without them.
But no one is listening to me or hearing me or even reaching out to help. I don't know where to turn I am lost and scared and losing hope.
Well I suppose I should say thank you for at least listening.
I cannot be reached during the day by phone as the job for security purposes, I cannot have my cell phone at my desk, (HIPPA). But I do check messages both texted and phone when I am on break.
Thank you for listening.
Sincerely
Dawn Warmkessel

Replied By: bambib8 on Nov 17, 2014, 12:58PM
I feel like I am on the verge of an emotional breakdown, and not Quite sure how to handle myself or the situation. I can't even keep my thoughts straight enough to know what I'm upset about! How do you get past this?

Replied By: muckakim45 on Nov 16, 2014, 4:56PM - In reply to yesyoucan
thankyou for understanding and support i have sent dr phil letters and emails for a couple of years now and i know he is busy and australia is so far away. it is just i have exhausted all efforts here . i placed my son into so many rehabs and he either walked out or they said he became violent so they refused to keep him there. i have called the police on my own son because of violence. he became so mad one day threatened to slit his throat. but before that he would  set fire to apartment building . so to protect other people as well as him i called police. they placed him in mental ward for 2 days. he became violent so they transfered him. and that one let him out next day. he has done this multiple times. my mother enables him by giving him money. which i have refused to do.she is running her own agenda.my eldest daughter put herself back in hospital 2 nights ago. because she was  feeling faint and pulse was a little high. both my husband and i believe she is either dehydrating herself on purpose. or taking medication to do this to get attention. because of the ptsd. so we have had another 3 nights of no sleep. there just is no more i can do. doctors do not help. phycologist here do not listen about both of them. and the police. do nothing. what am i suppose to do you now know why we have had breakdown and given up.

Replied By: yesyoucan on Nov 14, 2014, 7:44PM - In reply to muckakim45
Glad you joined us.  So sorry for all the hardships you and your family have gone through and are going through. Someone was just praying for you and your husband and all those dear to y'all.  

We've all done our fair share of ranting here so you are definitely entitled since SELF MATTERS INCLUDES YOU.  A public board so only say what you don't mind others seeing.  You can copy/paste what you wrote here to click on CONTACT DR. PHIL to seek his help too.  

Most here never receive the privilege yet many definitely do.  Only one Dr. Phil yet he helps as many as he is able to.  Too, seeing advice Dr. Phil gives those he helps on TV often times helps viewers listening who can relate.  Don't forget to be there for you and your husband needs to be there for himself too and it is good y'all are there for each other.  Dr. Phil says, "You are never alone if you are there for you."  I can honestly say when times were the worst for me I wasn't there for me.  So I always add BE THERE.  Being proactive coming here you are being there for you...  Keep being there for you... and you WILL find the help that helps and often that helps comes from within.

Replied By: muckakim45 on Nov 12, 2014, 5:36AM
i am 49  years old 3 months ago i suffered a nervous breakdown. i have given up on life i have spent the last 3 weeks in bed only going out to see doctors. i have been married to my husband for 30 years and he is wonderful but he has gone the same way. we shake we do not want to leave the house . i will tell you why i have lupus and hashimotos and am in severe pain everyday. the medications have put so much weight on me i am obese from them and lack of exercise due to pain. i have 3 children josh my oldest who has borderline personality disorder. is violent towards me physically and verbally as well as others is alcoholic and gambler. he became this way. after one of his friends molested my youngest daughter. my second eldest is sarah she has ptsd from being molested by my sister and her partner. when she holiday with them from ages of  till 13 but did not tell us until 18 because they threatened to kill her and us. she has made numerous attempts on her life. and now is having evasive medical tests on allof her body because it makes her feel better. the  youngest mikaela has aspergers and intellectual impairment and by the way the friend of my sons who molested her was introduced to my family by . my sister. who has commited suicide because she could not cope with what she has done to my family. i hate her and my mother thinks i should forgive my sister  because she killed herself well that is not happening. she destroyed my family. my mother enables my eldest 2 because she is worried they will do the same giving them money taking them every where. my son has verbally abused me this week calling me vile names. doctor phil says they did not come out of the womb that way and  we take some of the blame. but most of it is because of other people. i warned my kids of stranger danger not family danger. how niave am i. i have given up. both my husband  and i feel defeated and do not care if we wake up in morning.we have given up on life  we are in a black hole and can not get out we live in australia so i cannot get access to the great treatment plans in america dr phil has there is nothing more i can do life is so hopeless right now i just want my family whole again i have cut my mother from my life she is toxic. so the only support i have is my mother in law and she lives in different state i feel so alone. thankyou for listening to me rant..

Replied By: oceanentity on Nov 11, 2014, 7:58AM - In reply to hurtgirl11
Hello , great to meet you here and im just a regular mum of two but can offer what i can in reguards to advice or comfort , but i am also a strong advocater of one on one councelling too so i hope you seek that out where you live , it can enhance your life and offer guidance .

Showing 1-10 of total 7391 Comments