Depression and Grief

This content requires the Adobe Flash Player and a browser with JavaScript enabled. Please install the latest version of the Adobe Flash Player.

Get Adobe Flash Player

Are you overwhelmed with dark feelings of despair? Have you suffered a loss and are having a difficult time coping? If you or someone you love is suffering from depression or is grief-stricken, you know it can be a struggle, but you don’t need to suffer in silence. Share your story here.

If you need immediate assistance, please call your local emergency number or crisis hotline listed in your local phone book's government pages.

Click here for General and Mental Health Resources.
Comments
Replied By: loischilders on Nov 29, 2016, 1:29PM - In reply to loischilders
I love you mommy.  It wasn't your fault that I had to leave early and go home. I know that we didn't have allot of years living together  on earth. But, like I told your heart, our time hasn't ended. Because, it hasn't even began. What we had on earth was just a preview of the infinite life that awaits for us when you've fulfilled your reason for being there. I know that time for you is slow and it feels like we have been separated for a lifetime, but where I'm at now, there is no time. And, when you get here it will be like we were never apart. In an instant you will find yourself   next to me and we will have no memory of anything sad.  You have something great that needs to shared with the world. We have the same heart, as we live all people. We were poor and we were rich. Every good thing comes from God.

Replied By: loischilders on Nov 29, 2016, 12:37PM
If you were to have asked me fifteen years ago, how many children I had, I would have been silent. My loss was sudden when my eleven year old son drowned. I was left devastated. Today, fifteen years later, I can finally say that I didn't lose my son because I know where he is. He is in heaven. My faith gives me austerity that I will see him again. I know as well that he didn't die, because he lives in heaven. This will always be the greatest loss of my life. Nothing will ever compare to this tragedy. Years have passed, but I still look for his sweet face in the world that continues around me. Everything now has no meaning in the way others view things. My life stopped when he left and I walked  out of the material main stream society. And, I have never looked at anything the way I once did. Today, I find my greatest joy in helping others. I am a highly sensitive person and I feel blessed that I understand finally, that my life still has meaning and purpose.

Replied By: pjorg5377 on Nov 28, 2016, 3:32PM - In reply to honeypot617
Thankyou for your concern.  Im such a mess right now all I can do is cry.  Stress makes the disease worse and im in so much pain I cant sleep.  I will be in a wheel chair before to long.  I've had about as much as I can take but thankyou for caring

Replied By: honeypot617 on Nov 28, 2016, 2:57PM - In reply to pjorg5377
I was touched by your story.   I'm sorry that you are going through so much.   Maybe there is nothing I can do to help, but if you would ever like to talk, I'm here.

Replied By: pjorg5377 on Nov 28, 2016, 12:27PM
Help

Is there anyone out there that cares about another in need.  I have an incurable autoimmune disease that has no cure and no treatment.  I was a law enforcement officer for almost 10 years.  I have been battling this disease for 6 years.  1 1/2 years ago my Dr left his practice and referred me to a pain management clinic. The very first medications they prescribed had severe drug interactions labels and it also had a severe interaction with one i was already taking.  4 or 5 days after I started taking the meds I collapsed on the way to the hospital.  I was life flighted to a large hospital.  The Dr's in ICU said it was from the drug interactions that caused me to almost die.  I couldn't get in to see the Drs' that poisoned me for two days after I got out of the hospital.   The Dr admitted to my wife and I he screwed up his exact words.  I sued them for neglagence..  

They replied to the complaint I over medicated my self causing the accident.  My lawyer quit saying it was to expensive for him to help me.  I have contacted almost 20 Lawyers in Salt Lake City and Utah County.  Every Lawyer has turned me down to help.  Excuses are its not a big enough case to take.  In other words they wouldn't mak enough money for their time.

I lost my job, my insurance, my medical retirement,  my life savings and most of all my belief people are basically good.  I'm on the verge  of suicide.  I have no hope for the future.  I have almost 28 grand kids and can't buy them Christmas because I can barely make ends meet.  I'm losing my life a little at a time.  I will be in a wheel chair  soon.   I'm asking if there is anyone out there that knows a law firm willing to help.  I'm not asking for the moon only someone to help me hold the pain management clinic responsible for harming me.  I'm lost and alone.

Replied By: yesyoucan on Nov 22, 2016, 8:36PM - In reply to nightlady
Hi Barb...  I actually came on tonight hoping you were here.  Thanks for belated birthday wishes.  Birthday went great then... broke a tooth and since last two dental visits to get work done not the best in the world I had a panic attack getting tooth pulled.  Partly, because I have $10,000 or more in dental work over the years since 1970's so a part of me wants to get fixed instead of pulled yet cost way less to get pulled.  Concerned pulling might damage dental work and cost more in the long run than not.  Well, didn't think of all this till after appointment to schedule pulling.  Googled to see how to ease dental anxiety and info online suggested anti-anxiety meds and said main prescription dentists prescribe.  So, scheduled doctor's appointment three hours before dental appointment to see if could get anti-anxiety medicine since dentist closed Friday to ask him or cancel.  

Our collie Eddie passed away November 11th of nasal cancer, so I was anxious about that.  Then, baby girl Lassie passed on Sunday at 5:15 p.m. after suffering all day.  Veterinarian thinks Lassie died of grief although a water moccasin may have bit her because day before she passed she was searching for something in the leaves before I could stop her.  She chased a juvenile moccasin till he escaped under flower bed rocks when we first moved here yet I grabbed her hind quarters just in time to stop her.  I trained Eddie to not go near flower beds yet was unsuccessful with Lassie.  Previous owners said had never seen a snake by farm house yet neighbor said had and I saw 2 copperheads and 2 moccasins by house first week here.  Oh well, previous owners failed to mention bog at entrance, said no termites etc. too so... dishonest.  Inspector too.

Cancelled both dentist and doctor's appointment in tears Monday, through sobs over grief of losing Lassie and Eddie etc.  Went to doctor this a.m.  My blood pressure is all over the place from all the stress.  Was 189/99 after dental visit to schedule tooth being pulled.  Then today at doctor 160/89.  Heart rate 74.  He said I can't have tooth pulled till blood pressure under control.  Doctor gave me lowest dose of an anti-anxiety and I'm suppose to start blood pressure medicine and probably have needed since moving here since so many snakes out here stressful.  If you are familiar with which blood pressure medicines are the best please share.  Share tips for lowering.  Likely since moving out here that I no longer go on my mile walk a day as did in Dallas, due to all the snakes out here, contributed to high blood pressure, too.  

Lynn is country brave although he can see better.  Everyone says "snakes are as scared of you."  Well, that's when they bite if don't see...  Lynn does visual checks for me of places I want to walk.  Snakes especially match terrain in fall and their mating season.  No eye doctors out this way so don't know if vision loss high blood pressure related or cataracts.  I no longer write to Dr. Phil or the Doctors asking for a medical, dental and visual makeover yet only got the idea to from ABC Extreme Makeover medical show.  Extreme Makeover, Dr. Phil, and The Doctors gave me renewed faith in doctors.  Them anyway...  Although, I do like country doctor went to this a.m.  There's no hospital in city six miles from us anymore yet clinic I went to this a.m. reopened.  I wrote to The Doctors  a year or so ago asking them to do a fundraiser to help keep hospital open.

My heart if broken because Lassie and Eddie were my company all day and I talked and sang to them often during the day while doing chores.  DFW Collie Rescue has Eddie's picture on their home page and did two memorials for Eddie and Lassie.  Carolyn of DFW Collie Rescue brought Eddie and Lassie together so they'd never been apart over night till the night the day Eddie passed away.  Lassie died Sunday November 20th, nine days after Eddie, next to my bed lying on her dog bed.  Eddie had a dog bed in my room, too.

We spent the day digging a grave for Lassie on the farm in case she didn't get better.  We carried Lassie out on her blanket and placed her little Princess pillow under her head and Eddie's ashes between her arms.  Lynn or I were by her side all day as we took turns digging.   Lassie passed thirty minutes after we finished.  Lynn took her vitals since used to be a medic.  She let out two scream yelps before passing.  I'm donating their beds on Thanksgiving while in Dallas, to dog rescue Lynn's brother supports.  I just cannot bear to look at their empty beds.  I washed all their bedding Monday to take my mind off my grief.  Got a sinus headache or tension from crying so much so trying not to.  Well, starting to cry again and that won't change things so trying to stop.  Maybe it is worse trying to stop and what is causing the tension.  Oh well, meant a lot to see your message.  Thank you.  Sounds like you are on the mend and nice to see an answered prayer with you sounding so good.  Texas Sized Hugging Prayers...  Alice

Replied By: yesyoucan on Nov 22, 2016, 8:12PM - In reply to mrsjodoin
Well, you don't want to jeopardize "your" well being not sticking to your word.  If someone lives with you they should be respectful and help out.  Multi-generational homes are becoming popular for safety and financial reasons yet only works if everyone does their part.  He does sound depressed and irritability and lashing out is a symptom of being depressed.  The job market is depressing.  The way I look at it though when growing up 25% of how we are is society, 25% each parent and 25% how we assimilate it all.  However, when an adult we are 100% responsible.  This past Presidential Election winner won because the job market is dismal.  Some good advice for your son is that no matter where you go it won't be perfect because nobody is perfect.  However, when you quit a job when you think only they are imperfect best to have another job lined up or you'll be the only one without a salary.  It is okay to quit jobs yet after do quite often you miss the paychecks, in my experience.  Hope things start going his way and he finds his way for likely when he does his attitude will improve.  However, he especially needs to be an acitive participant in his life.  Sounds like your ultimatum set him in motion.  Keep your eyes open for all the blessings prayed your way.  Accentuate the positive...  No matter what age it is hard on children and step-parent when a step-parent enters the picture no matter what age...

Replied By: yesyoucan on Nov 22, 2016, 7:57PM - In reply to happy2uall
Hi happy...  That was such a comforting reply that I felt comforted too reading.  God Bless You Angel.

Replied By: yesyoucan on Nov 22, 2016, 7:53PM - In reply to ntcali71
What did you mean by DMV and MH?  How are you today?

Replied By: yesyoucan on Nov 22, 2016, 7:47PM - In reply to drphilfan300
Especially having a member name with drphilfan you should hear from Dr. Phil you'd think.  Anyway, I hope you do.  What kind of dog do you have?  Let us know how you are and I hope when you do things are getting better soon.  Fellow member Nightlady here used to have a bird.

Showing 1-10 of total 7648 Comments