Eating Disorders

This content requires the Adobe Flash Player and a browser with JavaScript enabled. Please install the latest version of the Adobe Flash Player.

Get Adobe Flash Player

In the United States, as many as 10 million females and 1 million males are fighting a life-and-death battle with an eating disorder such as anorexia or bulimia. Are you or is someone you love systematically starving themselves? Or do you binge and purge? Share your stories and get support here.

If you or someone you love is suffering with an eating disorder, check out these resources.
Replied By: terryx on Oct 4, 2016, 4:53AM
A couple years ago I began to lose weight after becoming depressed as I wouldn't get out of bed, lost my appetite and subsequently lost a bit of weight. After I started taking antidepressants I gained some weight and then slowly the eating disorder crept up on me. I started swimming frequently and lowering my calorie count, at my worst, I would exercise 2 hours a day and only consume under 400 calories. I also had a binge/purge cycle. My weight dropped to around a BMI of 16 and I got professional help from an eating disorder clinic. I've gained a lot of weight, more than 25lbs, with a varying BMI of 19-20. Sometimes I still relapse sometimes and I've noticed that ever since I recovered, I've replaced the control with self-harm. Instead of starving myself I burn myself and cut far more (and deeper) than I used to even in my worst part of my ED. I find when I relapse with my ED the self-harm urges almost disappear. I'm not going to ask how to stop since I am in intensive therapy several times a week. But, has this happened to anyone else? 

Also, is it messed up that I prefer the eating disorder to self-harming? Because with the ED at least it wasn't physically ugly and most people don't comment when they see it. I'm also slightly worried I'll cut into a nerve or artery someday as I have slowly been getting deeper and deeper through the layers of skin. 

Anyway, have a nice day y'all :)
Replied By: anonymouseeee9 on Mar 29, 2015, 12:35PM
Previously recovered from anorexia...I now have difficulties with binge eating and need help. Does anyone whatsoever have any tips PLEASE?
Replied By: wrightl96 on Jan 9, 2015, 9:29AM
im 18 and has had a eating disorder for about 7 months and the thing is my aunt is forcing me to get help even though i dont want help i am over weight in the 200's and she doesnt understand all i want to do id lose weight. it may not be the best way but its working. i dont want help.
Replied By: corylp on Dec 11, 2014, 10:14PM - In reply to miahamilton
I actually dealt with going through an eating disorder about six years ago. I was roughly 23 years old, a wife, and mother to a newborn. My husband never picked up that I had an eating disorder until he watched a show on tv that was talking about women with eating disorders. They sometimes are extremely hard to pick upon. not only my husband, but my family as well as my in laws didn't even have a clue. When my husband finally figured it out I was down to 69 pounds. Doctors where unable to diagnose me. Finally my husband had taken me to a doctor and right away he was getting me ready for inpatient care. I flew out to Az. we are from ky, but I spent 45 in a place called, remuda ranch. Google it. If you think for one second your daughter may have an eating disorder send her for help. The ranch saved my life. I would recommend it to anyone. I wish you all with your daughter.
Replied By: sherryaf333 on Dec 9, 2014, 3:25PM
Dr Phil,

I enjoy your quality of programming. I was watching on local TV your show concerning the dark headed 16 year old who was getting back @ her mother by purging, etc. I was greatly disappointed when you mentioned that 'there are some things even God can't do anything about'. I understand that the work had to be done in the daughter, etc., but I felt your statement might be something that slipped out & you were remiss about saying? To say 'there are some things even God can't do anything about' is a risky statement, not to mention a false claim to make, let alone in front of so many listeners. As far as I see in God's Word, lying is the only thing God is not capable of. Our problems are no problem for Jehovah God who always has a way or a plan. I do enjoy your show.

Sherry Farmer
Replied By: miahamilton on Jun 22, 2014, 2:54PM
Depression, Anxiety and Eating Disorder go hand in hand, and one may not be easily recognized.  My 17 years old daughter was diagnosed with depression.  She also became vegan in the last year.  She wants to get well, and we tried different residential, and outpatient facilities.   We were reaching an impasse with her recovery, when she recognized that she has an eating disorder.  By treating her eating disorder at the awesome UCSD Eating Disorder Center, we made huge progress to her recovery.  She gained weight, is eating some meats now, has a better life and coping skills, and looking forward to start school in autumn.  I saw other depressed teens that are skinny vegetarians and are probably restricting themselves to unhealthy and unbalanced eating that contributes to their depression, and not diagnosed with an eating disorder.  I believe it is easy to miss, since the teens may not reach extreme low weights, and this is a new, more prevalent illness of these times.  I recommend the treatment at UCSD ED Center.

Replied By: cristaf on May 22, 2014, 9:12PM
how would you help someone who is using dxm to lose weight?
Replied By: idontknowwhy on May 20, 2014, 8:13AM
I don't know what keeps me from loosing weight? Twice in my 63 yrs I have lost 60+ pounds. I come right to going under 200 lbs and then I start to over eat again. WHY WILL I NOT ALLOW MYSELF TO REACH A HEALTHY WEIGHT? 

it's like I'm afraid to let myself to reach my goal. I'm in fairly hood health but would be so happy to loose this unhealthy fat! 

Replied By: graciousgrace on May 16, 2014, 11:46PM - In reply to rlb1995
Hi this is called "restrictive eating" which is the road to anorexia. If the person was eating literally nothing, they would die. What you're describing is "a little more than nothing." There are a lot of different eating disorders as well, so please trust your health professional.
Replied By: rlb1995 on Mar 25, 2014, 8:53AM
If someone was to be diagnosed as having an "eating disorder" what exactly does that mean? This person does eats small portions (for example in a day they will have a hot chocolate and some mash potato), but they are still eating so why do they think she has an eating disorder and why won't they listen to her when she tells them she is fine?
Showing 1-10 of total 82 Comments