2017 Shows

Sixteen-year-old Brittney is a high school dropout who claims she is too smart for school and wants to be a famous YouTube star. Brittney admits that while working on her career, she spends her days hanging out with boys at the skate park, drinking and smoking marijuana. Her parents, Kimber and Tim, say she is a manipulator who has zero ambition and needs to get her act together. Brittney claims her parents are her problem – especially her mother, who Brittney accuses of being a liar and even a thief! Dr. Phil investigates why Brittney’s dad along with his parents, Ben and Linda, claim Kimber and Brittney are tearing their entire family apart.

Find out what happened on the show.

Soon the Community will be closing down on DrPhil.com. Please log in to your account now to save any content, including images, posts, blogs and comments from your profile that you would like to keep, prior to the section being inaccessible.

Just because the community is closing doesn’t mean the discussions are ending. We still want to hear from you and encourage you to join the conversations on Dr. Phil’s social media channels! You'll be able to find exclusive show content, behind-the-scenes footage, personal Dr. Phil photos and more! And, you can join active viewer conversations.

Come join us:

Facebook
Twitter
Instagram
YouTube
Comments
Replied By: lilybelle1 on Sep 21, 2017, 4:04PM - In reply to junerain
Calling someone a 'butt wiper' is not cool. You just wait until your parents or yourself is old enough to need a caregiver and you'd better hope the caregiver, if it's not you, is a lot more than a 'butt wiper'. The elderly, disabled, and all caregivers deserve more respect than that.

Also: it's not productive to call the kid a brat. The kid is actually a product of her family, unless you think the stork brought her.

Third of all: I wholeheartedly agree Dr. Phil kow-towed to that old man and his nasty wife and threw the Mom under the bus. Her mental illness IS a physical illness that she had no choice over. But it does have an impact on a child. Studies back that up. That's not to blame the Mom, that's one factor in a complex situation.

Replied By: nberry on Sep 19, 2017, 6:28PM
This show was beyond frustrating.  Shame on you Dr.  Phil for not telling those grandparents off for the treatment of the DIL and her illness.  They are part of the problem if they are giving her cars and phones,  on top of that the show didn't even clarify who gave her the darn phone.  The father was an immature moron and he's the one that acts like a teenager not the mom.  The daughter hates the mom because she clearly sees through her bull and isn't manipulated like her weak husband and meddling in laws.

Replied By: songsparrow on Sep 19, 2017, 1:17PM
It seems being a grandparent, that Dr. Phil sides with grandparents. He missed the mark in making this show air for two days. So much unanswered questions. What about Kimbers support? What about testimony from her parents.

The father is not all there mentally either. His demeanor and replies were horribly immature. Mommas boy. He and his parents enable his daughter. The daughter hates the mother because she is the only one trying to put restrictions on her daughter and she hates her because of an illness the mother doesn't have a choice in having but is trying to control. Shame on the grandfather and grandmother for belittling her and the illness. Time to wake up and realize your son is not a man but a child wanting to be friends with a child. It was shamefully disgusting how Dr. Phil allowed them to behave and treat the mother with such disrespect.

The mother was the only one on there that took any ownership. The father is forced to be referee. I think not. He should be standing up beside his wife. Not with his parents and not as his spoiled child's BFF. Shame on him and shame on his parents for putting the blame on the mother.  The dsyfunction starts with his side of the family. No wonder the mother has mental issues. The mother didn't tear that family apart. They did. The non-supportive father and grandparents.  Mental illness did.  Not that it is the grandparents family to begin with. Still controlling their son. I think they just want to keep controlling things by having the girl. The grandparents are clearly manipulative narcissistic gaslighters and their son is just immature and clueless.  Kimber doesn't need to leave. Those three do. Stop meddling if you can't say "no".

Dr. Phil it seems like you dropped the ball with this show. Sorry. Where was the support Kimber needed to be the positive one in the girls life? The other three are lost causes of self absorbed bully loudmouth hypocrits.  I still can't get over how disgusting the grandparents were and how immature that father was. Kimber divorce them.

Replied By: vickidavidson on Sep 18, 2017, 12:08PM
I WANTED TO POST MY COMMENT ABOUT THE DAD DATING YOUNGER  FEMALES INCLUDING HIS DAUGHTER'S FRIENDS. DAD AGREED TO SET BOUNDARIES BUT I THINK THE DAUGHTER SHOULD ALSO SET BOUNDARIES BY TELLING HER FRIENDS YOU APPROACH MY DAD WE ARE NOT FRIENDS. I KNOW A COUPLE THAT SHE WAS 20 YRS YOUNGER THEN HIM AND THEY WERE THE HAPPIEST COUPLE AGE DOES NOT MAKE A DIFFERENCE. TELL THE DAUGHTER TO LAY THE LAW DOWN TO THESE FRIENDS THAT WILLING GO OUT WITH HER DAD. IT TAKES 2 TO TANGO. I FEEL IF DAD WANTS TO DATE YOUNGER WOMEN THEN GO FOR IT.

Replied By: switzer76 on Sep 17, 2017, 12:04PM
I'm sure there is more to the story than we know but I was very disappointed in dr phil and his final thoughts on this family today. I kept waiting on dr Phil to tell the family that mental illness is not something you can help. He has said before, "if a person had cancer would you blame them or be angry at them for having it?" I have no doubt that this girl has had to see her mom go through many things but THAT is when the dad and grandparents should have stepped in and helped instead of taking over and turning the girl against her own mother. You could see the anger and resentment from everyone of them and the daughters words you could tell came from years of hearing her grandparents say the same thing. The dad would separate himself and his wife by acting like he was a better person and parent than his wife because of the fact he doesn't have a mental illness. They have only hurt their granddaughter by putting down her mother and putting more of a wedge between them than already was there. I wish the mother would have been strong enough to tell them she deserved to be treated with love and  respect and if her husband couldn't stand with her against his parents and daughter she should have left his sorry butt! I kept waiting on dr phil to try and educate these "old school" people on mental illness but it never happened. Instead of helping I think dr Phil just reinforced these people's hurtful and backwards thinking

Replied By: shrinbrin on Sep 16, 2017, 11:40AM
Very surprised that Dr Phil didn't say, 'no wonder this family failed - with a lazy, unsupporitve husband and interfering grandparents that gang up on the Mom, I don't ask why this family failed, I ask how could it not fail.'

Very disappointed in how this show ended. The couple needs marriage counselling. Briittany needs to be removed from the home and placed in treatment and the grandparents need to butt out.

Thanking the Grandparents for being involved? Dr Phil should have been all over them for interfering with the mother/daughter relationship and not being supportive. They are guilty of alienating their grand daughter from their mother.

I am shaking my head.  Brittany is an immature child, destined to fail if she doesn't get her act together.

Replied By: janisofny on Sep 16, 2017, 1:17AM
Everyone blamed Kimber: the husband, the daughter, the husband's parents, and you let them get away with that!  Additionally, you thanked the husband's parents?  For undermining Kimber?  For blaming her, for her illness? I was shocked.

Replied By: mintjulep on Sep 15, 2017, 4:40PM - In reply to geezerdog
The grandmother was smug and sneering..........the grandfather loud and blustering.......I pity the Mom, for her husband and his parents' ganging up on her.  The "failure to bond" thing was balderdash...the kid is an ill mannered brat who has been enabled by Dense Dad and his Classless parents.  Were I Mom, I believe I would consider myself outnumbered and take my leave of them all..leaving the Brat to lead the remaining three into more chaos.

Replied By: honda4fun on Sep 15, 2017, 3:52PM - In reply to junerain
The mother's mental problems aren't the root of her daughter's evil. There's other kids out there with worse moms or no moms that turn out fine. This kid is spoiled and allowed to act like a brat. Total disrespect by calling her mom Kimber. Dr. Phil didn't really touch on the fact that the grandparents are adding fuel to the fire by giving her a car, phone and a place to crash when she wants. They should part ways after the show and see how long she survives on her own. She'd come crawling back in days. The grandparents need to butt out, take back the goodies and the parents should enforce rules or give REAL consequences. The parents do need counseling but I don't think Dr. Phil should spend a dime on that brat. Let her wake up and see how the world works on her own. I bet she'll be more respectful when she's done so.!

Replied By: junerain on Sep 15, 2017, 2:56PM - In reply to cdbae7
I wish the posts had a like or agree button too cdbae.

Showing 1-10 of total 38 Comments