2017 Shows

On October 29, 2016, college student Samantha committed suicide by hanging herself in the carport of the house she shared with her law student boyfriend Jonathon. Her stepmother, Katie, and father, Dan, accuse Jonathon of not only being emotionally and verbally abusive toward Samantha, but also blame him for their daughter taking her own life -- all of which Jonathon adamantly denies. Does Jonathon have any ownership in Samantha’s tragic death?

Find out what happened on the show.

Soon the Community will be closing down on DrPhil.com. Please log in to your account now to save any content, including images, posts, blogs and comments from your profile that you would like to keep, prior to the section being inaccessible.

Just because the community is closing doesn’t mean the discussions are ending. We still want to hear from you and encourage you to join the conversations on Dr. Phil’s social media channels! You'll be able to find exclusive show content, behind-the-scenes footage, personal Dr. Phil photos and more! And, you can join active viewer conversations.

Come join us:

Facebook
Twitter
Instagram
YouTube
Comments
Replied By: anonymous5979 on Sep 14, 2017, 4:49AM
So, let me get this right.  You wanted this guy who is struggling through college, to drop everything, to travel 500 miles for a funeral in a place where the only people he knows blame him for the suicide of the person that just broke his heart?  Holy crap, people. 

I lost a little more of my dwindling faith in humanity when the audience cheered so many vindictive statements.

If the show had opened with Jonathan's side story, it could have done a lot more to highlight the tragedy of suicide. It could have talked about what to do when someone you love is suicidal. Instead, it jumped headlong into two parents' vindictive reaction to the loss of a child. I'm dissapointed Dr. Phil has stooped to using producers that emphasize the shock factor of a tragedy like this at the expense of peoples' lives and well-being.

I do appreciate Dr. Phil's soft approach with the parents, but that's the only thing I think went right with this show. The parents are still obviously grieving and not ready to be put in thier place, so I won't share my additional thoughts on them.   

Jonathan's actions made a lot of sense if you stop trying to find a scapegoat for an inexplicable tragedy and actually listened to him. He was in a crumbling relationship with a live-in girlfriend that had cheated on him. He felt betrayed, and couldn't continue the relationship without frequent reassurances that he wasn't being betrayed again. He admitted that he overreacted with his controlling behavior, but put yourself in his shoes for a minute. He found his partner cheating and no matter the circumstances, dishonesty destroys trust, and a relationship can't exist without trust. 

I have to admit, if I found my spouse cheating I would be out of my mind and instead of thinking all day about how much I cared about her, I would find myself wondering if she was betrying me again. All day, every day. I don't think I could live in that kind of relationship without regular reassurances that I wasn't being betrayed again.

She insisted on continuing the relationship and his response was to set crazy ground rules. He said it wasn't the right decision, but his only other option was a clear and complete break-up. Though they seem extreme, the gps tracking and other rules demonstrate just how hurt he was by the betrayal. He said thier relationship was over, but they were trying to work out living in the same space and even though he didn't think she could ever regain his trust he was willing to explore ways she might accomplish that impossibility.

And then, she takes her own life. How do you deal with that? Some people spend tens of thousands of dollars on a big group hug called a funeral. Some poeple might do better trying to pick up the pieces and move on.

Replied By: wyldmee on Sep 13, 2017, 9:54PM - In reply to jen222
You are just as much of an idiot as he is!

Replied By: wyldmee on Sep 13, 2017, 9:52PM
He is one lucky idiot I'm not her parent because he would be 6 feet under and I'd be sitting in jail!  What an arrogant idiot!  He may as well have tied the rope around his neck!

Replied By: caravta on Sep 13, 2017, 9:31PM - In reply to jen222
Parents took to social media, called his college, went on national television to default and blame him. He is pissed off. Why didn't mommy get her daughter help? Take her back home? Depression is an ugly disease.

Replied By: caravta on Sep 13, 2017, 9:27PM
When I stared watching the show I thought the young man was at fault. By the end of the show I felt he was being falsely blamed for her death. It became obvious that the parents had an agenda to smear his reputation. I have suffered depression my whole life. To scared to kill myself but think about it all the time. It's not another persons fault that I feel this way. It's mine. And it's my fault I'm not seeking help. Laughter is a way to hide depression. No one forced her to be in the relationship. She chose it. When they said they called his college to default his character it became obvious this young man had reached his limit. He said she cheated and was having problems in school. It sounds like she had a lot that contributed to HER choice to end her life. One could turn it around- why couldn't she go to her parents for help? Pressure to be perfect? Anyone can paint a picture to make a person look at fault. Why didnt they get their daughter help? Just because he is pissed off for being a target doesn't mean he isn't greaving these are two separate issues. He tried to say he became more jealous and controling after she cheated which is normal for any relationship that is broken. Both sides just move forward leaving the other slone.

Replied By: pj1960 on Sep 13, 2017, 9:24PM - In reply to newheart2017
I can't agree more with you.  I can't help but feel like there is more.  Why were texts deleted?  There is so much that is off with this guy.

Replied By: patti121 on Sep 13, 2017, 8:56PM - In reply to julia_m
Yes, Dr. Phil said several times that he didn't think Jonathon was responsible for her death and then he navigated the conversation to make the viewers question whether Jonathon was responsible. That is evident by the message board. 

I unfortunately have more then one family member who suffers from bi-polar. My 20 year old son has suffered from bi-polar since age 4 1/2. He has attempted suicide twice.  My brother-in-law committed suicide by cop in 2009.  My son has a friend, also bi-polar, who has attempted suicide over a dozen times.  He does not want to die and asks those individuals who don't understand why he does it, "do you know what it is like to wake up everyday to your mind telling you to kill yourself?"

My son is obviously troubled and my brother-in-law was too. But should I blame the police officer who shot and killed him?  And who would I have blamed if my son succeeded?

We've all had crises or trauma in our lives.  Life is not easy.  But the majority of people do not commit suicide in responose to a crises.  Let's look at battered women for example.  Battered women have an innate drive to survive the abuse and hope the abuser does not kill them.  They strive to survive.  Not die.

The point is that something within Samantha made her take her own life.  Not her boyfriend.  

Replied By: julia_m on Sep 13, 2017, 8:02PM - In reply to patti121
At the outset of the show, Dr. Phil made it clear that he did not feel that Jonathan was responsible for Samantha's suicide. He was very, very clear about that. What show were you watching???

Replied By: ohmylife on Sep 13, 2017, 8:01PM
To all of you fans of Johnathan:

Do you believe he is blameless in every way in the events that led to the daughters death? Do you believe he did every thing he could to help her? Would you marry that young man we watched on stage?

I'd love to get some feedback. Have a good day.

Replied By: julia_m on Sep 13, 2017, 8:00PM
This "boy" is a selfish, immature, ABUSIVE, lying jerk. He is certainly no "man". And, to think that he will be representing the legal profession. Ugh. My condolences to Samantha's parents. I am sorry that in the wake of her very unfortunate death, you have to deal with this sorry excuse for a human being. No, he did not cause her suicide, but he most assuredly did NOTHING to prevent it.

Showing 11-20 of total 32 Comments