2017 Shows

On October 29, 2016, college student Samantha committed suicide by hanging herself in the carport of the house she shared with her law student boyfriend Jonathon. Her stepmother, Katie, and father, Dan, accuse Jonathon of not only being emotionally and verbally abusive toward Samantha, but also blame him for their daughter taking her own life -- all of which Jonathon adamantly denies. Does Jonathon have any ownership in Samantha’s tragic death?

Find out what happened on the show.

Soon the Community will be closing down on DrPhil.com. Please log in to your account now to save any content, including images, posts, blogs and comments from your profile that you would like to keep, prior to the section being inaccessible.

Just because the community is closing doesn’t mean the discussions are ending. We still want to hear from you and encourage you to join the conversations on Dr. Phil’s social media channels! You'll be able to find exclusive show content, behind-the-scenes footage, personal Dr. Phil photos and more! And, you can join active viewer conversations.

Come join us:

Facebook
Twitter
Instagram
YouTube
Comments
Replied By: survivortmm on Sep 13, 2017, 7:41PM
This guy is an abuser! Just like the one who pushed my sister to take her life. Yes she had issues. He said he got her help. Then he kept abusing her!!!!!!!!! My sister was broken. Her abuser didn't break her but he pushed her to suicide. We lost our mom very suddenly just days after her 14th birthda. Her daddy died when she was 16. He drank himself to death. So she was already broken when she met this person. But he pushed her to it when he abused her. He knew she was broken. He promised to love her and help her heal. Then he abused her. The day she took her life he beat her up because while he was sleeping she went and got herself some McDonalds and didn't get any for him. My sister died over some damn McDonalds. She could not take anymore and she took her life. Plain and simple he pushed her to it!!!!!!!! 

Replied By: jen222 on Sep 13, 2017, 7:32PM - In reply to vickersnyc
Seriously what kind of a person makes unkind statements to parents who has just lost their child.  They are not blaming him for her suicide they are blaming him because he lacks a soul.  After his presentation today I agree with them.  Now have some common decency and be kind to a family who lost their daughter.

Replied By: patti121 on Sep 13, 2017, 7:15PM
I'm very disappointed that Dr. Phil had a show where he lead the viewers to believe that anyone could be responsible for another's suicide. How many people in you immediate family have committed suicide?  I venture to guess that your answer is none.  I'm not trying to diminish suicide, I'm just pointing out that it is not that common.  Commiting suicide is not that easy because human beings have an inherent resolove for survival.  People don't make people commit suicide.  Only a person's thoughts, feelings, emotional state of mind or mental illness can drive an individual to suicide.  

Replied By: jen222 on Sep 13, 2017, 7:14PM - In reply to skbruning
Why would you defend that man.  He obviously lacks sensitivity and empathy, He  Is unkind and self centered.  If someone loses a child you go out of your way to be kind -not keep thinking about yourself.  Society today scares me.  Definitely lack of values and just common decency.  Very sad.

Replied By: jen222 on Sep 13, 2017, 7:09PM
Bless your hearts! I am so sorry about your daughter.  She's a beautiful girl and she deserved much better than that horrible man.  I hope you will find some peace in your hearts. You and your daugther will be in my prayers!!

Replied By: ohmylife on Sep 13, 2017, 7:06PM
What a monster for a man! Takes responsibility for nothing much, sways away from the questions, & is more concerned with himself than any one else. And she was calling him the night of her death asking "are you coming home safe?" a number of times & his reply was "yes". She didn't want to die, she wanted help, & in her desperation the most attention getting action is to attempt suicide. He could have told her the truth & said "No, I won't be coming home." or "Yes, but not now, later when I feel better." She counted on him coming home & saving her, maybe a shock to make him realize how much he loves her & better pay attention to her. Or, thinking finally 'This' will make my parents & friends aware of my desperation.  

He showed no remorse, I only saw a controller who failed to control and THAT makes him sad inside. Plus much more he should work on.

Replied By: ashleyb339 on Sep 13, 2017, 6:08PM
Why is Dr. Phil allowing for the audience to laugh? I feel bad for the parents, but it's obvious they're trying to pin the blame on him. Jonathan is terrible with words and only knows legal rhetoric. He's trying not to make any missteps. I believe that the parents ransacked the house and I also believe Jonathan and their daughter were in a toxic relationship. Jonathan reached out to help her. There's only so much you can do for a suicidal person. My condolences to all of them. 

Replied By: skbruning on Sep 13, 2017, 5:17PM
It's so easy to be involved in a herd mentality for lack of a better word. Everybody grieves differently and Dr. Phil took the words right out of my mouth on that one. He, the guy, may have said some things on the show that he will later regret as well and it did seem a bit harsh for him to say that he wishes he had never met her in the first place ~that was a rash statement.
He reminds me a lot of myself.

He speaks very spontaneously instead of thinking before he speaks but they kept saying things that simply were not true. How many times does he have to tell them that he did his best, he got her into counseling. Why can't they receive that?

Why do they have to jump down his throat about how he didn't love her~ no one should ever do that. Why couldn't they receive that?

If he says he loved their daughter, why can't they believe it?

They don't have to have such a heavy agenda? No one can confront a grieving parent but he's grieving too!

So it's really not fair to super load this one side over the other. The father said later that he and the daughter were real close ~ well then why didn't he save her from suicide?

Anytime someone commits suicide it's their responsibility not to do so. There are certain cases where verbal or emotional abuse tip the scales. And perhaps this young man was a negative to a degree to a then sensitive young woman

I think there's a lot of stuff here that nobody's ever really going to know
or understand.

I think all three need prayer to help them through this grieving process. I would definitely recommend griefshare.comespecially for the parents.

Replied By: newheart2017 on Sep 13, 2017, 4:58PM
Jonathan creeps me out. He was clearly abusive to her mentally and otherwise. He claims he truly loved her but wanted her to stick to some sick agreement to add others to their relationship.  I bet you she was so hurt and her young mind didn't know how to deal with that. Jonathan you may not have strung her up there but as sure as I sit here, you are an abusive man and need very serious help. If you are dating this man RUN as fast as you can. A very sick individua9. Jonathan get help right away!

Replied By: newheart2017 on Sep 13, 2017, 4:51PM
Jonathan creeps me out. He was clearly abusive to her mentally and otherwise. He claims he truly loved her but wanted her to stick to some sick agreement to add others to their relationship.  I bet you she was so hurt and her young mind didn't know how to deal with that. Jonathan you may not have strung her up there but as sure as I sit here, you are an abusive man and need very serious help. If you are dating this man RUN as fast as you can. A very sick individua9. Jonathan get help right away!

Showing 21-30 of total 32 Comments