2017 Shows

On October 29, 2016, college student Samantha committed suicide by hanging herself in the carport of the house she shared with her law student boyfriend Jonathon. Her stepmother, Katie, and father, Dan, accuse Jonathon of not only being emotionally and verbally abusive toward Samantha, but also blame him for their daughter taking her own life -- all of which Jonathon adamantly denies. Does Jonathon have any ownership in Samantha’s tragic death?

Find out what happened on the show.

Soon the Community will be closing down on DrPhil.com. Please log in to your account now to save any content, including images, posts, blogs and comments from your profile that you would like to keep, prior to the section being inaccessible.

Just because the community is closing doesn’t mean the discussions are ending. We still want to hear from you and encourage you to join the conversations on Dr. Phil’s social media channels! You'll be able to find exclusive show content, behind-the-scenes footage, personal Dr. Phil photos and more! And, you can join active viewer conversations.

Come join us:

Facebook
Twitter
Instagram
YouTube
Comments
Replied By: cherrypotion27 on Sep 17, 2017, 8:28PM
I was shocked by Jonathon's rather flippant answer to Dr. Phil's question about what he would do differently if he had to do things all over again. His response just proves the parent's of the dead woman right that he doesn't care about her, and he should be ashamed by his heartless answer.

Replied By: ghost2927 on Sep 15, 2017, 8:05PM - In reply to vickersnyc
Lets be honest if the roles where reversed and he killed him self evey comment would say its not her fault.

Replied By: junerain on Sep 15, 2017, 3:07PM - In reply to ohmylife
You said "to fans of Jonathan" but I wanted to reply anyway. Yes he certainly drove her to a breakdown even if it's true she harmed herself, which I'm not sure of.

His text messages alone speak to extreme and prolonged emotional and psychological abuse. 

He also gave himself away a few times without realizing it, in my opinion, about how he really thinks.

I thought her father put it best: "He broke her."

Replied By: junerain on Sep 15, 2017, 3:04PM - In reply to anonymous5979
Gonna disagree with someone here for a minute.

"His actions made a lot of sense" -- not to me they didn't, unless he's a sociopath.

You named the funeral as reasonable. Yes, skipping the funeral could have other explanations than he's cold and heartless. Some people hate going to funerals, or can't take going to funerals, and so that in itself would not have made me pause too much.

The guy comes across as detached and self centered at best.

Bugging parents who just lost their only daughter, about a nightstand, or a used mixer, and things like that -- refusing to let them have her check or her clothes -- that reeks of Scott Peterson territory to me. Remember Scott P. would not let Laci's parents have her belongings EITHER. He sold her granny's heirloom ring, and her family had to finally go and just GET her rocking chair and other personal items. Scott beefed about that and this guy sounded JUST like him to me.

My intuition is that he killed her. That is not proof and is ONLY my opinion, which is not actionable. I hope they can test that rope and see if his DNA is inside any knots.

He really needs to give this woman's parents back her things. Stop tormenting him in the last way he knows how. He kept making himself out to be the victim but the woman is DEAD at age 22.

Replied By: junerain on Sep 15, 2017, 2:59PM
I do not believe a word the "law student" said.

In my OPINION, I THINK he killed his girlfriend.

I think the things he said he told her about wanting to break up, she told him. She told him that she wanted to leave him and that's the most dangerous time for any person in an abusive relationship -- when they are trying to leave.

His only alibi is a woman he spent the night with? What's keeping him from sneaking out while she slept? 

I hope someone is investigating this whole thing a lot closer.

As for him wanting the watch back -- you stated 2-3 times on Tv you GAVE her that watch. That means it is hers forever. HER belongings go to her next of kin at time of death. You wouldn't get 5 dollars for it on Ebay. It's too late to return to the store. Why would you even be that petty. Withholding a 4500 dollar check for what you deem is 500 dollars worth of USED goods also does not sound legal.

You want to be a lawyer? Better keep your nose clean I think from now on!

Replied By: imperatrice on Sep 15, 2017, 11:03AM - In reply to honda4fun
"Whether he did or not, he's still responsible to some degree."

No, unfortunately he's not.  No one is.  Because in the end the person who takes their life did it themselves.  The only common thing in her death is her, because without her acting, no suicide would have occurred, no death would have resulted.  

I don't say this lightly because we all want to think it must be someone else's fault at least somewhat, but the sad truth is that it's not.  It's one of the reasons suicide is so difficult to process, there's no one to blame.  Maybe that's the lesson though, is that sometimes things happen and we just need to accept it, and blame has no place in the equation.

Replied By: honda4fun on Sep 14, 2017, 6:32PM - In reply to slotzlover5555
I totally agree with you.  I was wondering the same thing. Did anyone ever check his aliili? Many abusers end up killing their gf's or wives. Whether he did or not, he's still responsible to some degree.

Replied By: honda4fun on Sep 14, 2017, 6:28PM
I do understand that it was her choice to end her life, but I have to agree with some others that he pushed her over the edge.  I have a close relative that's in a relationship where her bf is a total control freak.  When she's not in his sites, he texts her sometimes every 4 minutes.  I don't know how she puts up with it.  I do, though, know what it's like to be backed against a wall and feel it would be easier just to end it all. It doesn't take much to get you to the brink. Just the one bunch of texts that were read out over the course of 20 miinutes time tells you how controlling he was., and I'm sure that was just the tip of the iceberg. I like the way this guy kept trying to explain away any involvement in her death and changing his stories.  I know he heard the gasps and laughs of the audience, but I bet he still thinks he's right. OH BOY, I feel sorry for his next gf.

Replied By: imperatrice on Sep 14, 2017, 3:28PM
Every week I meet up with 9 other people who are learning to cope with the outcomes of a suicide.  The first thing we all work on, as it is the most difficult, is the guilt.  Coulda, woulda, shoulda.  

As a very wise person messaged me "He was an adult who made an adult decision with his life, it's not the decision anyone would have made for him but it was his to make. We are not the keepers of others' happiness we are the keepers of our own happiness. It was his pain not yours."

I've not watched this episode yet, and may not after all.  Reading this board though, as bad as this guy seems to be, in the end, it was she who acted, it was her decision, as woefully misinformed that decision was.  

Replied By: slotzlover5555 on Sep 14, 2017, 1:16PM - In reply to julia_m
I so agree with you.  What a jerk.!!!! I feel really sorry for these people for having to deal with this guy.  All he seemed worried about was himself.  If he didn't have an alibi, I would be suspicious that he had murdered her. I hope that was looked into that closely.  He certainly did not come across as caring about her at all.  All he seemed to care about was himself.  And what is with not giving her parents her clothing and other belongings????  He certainly had no right to keep anything of her's.  Not even something her gave her.  My sympathy is with this girls parents.  I feel this guy abusing this girl may have very well be why she killed herself.

Showing 1-10 of total 32 Comments