2017 Shows

Steve says his daughters, 25-year-old Alexandra and 20-year-old Victoria, are constantly making self-destructive decisions and allowing men to take advantage of them. But Alexandra and Victoria says they have not gotten the love and connection they needed from their father lately. Steve says that is just “dumb” and both of his daughters need therapy and suggested they get Dr. Phil’s app, Doctor on Demand. He even sends his daughters quotes from Dr. Phil that Steve believes applies to his daughters’ lives. But is Steve following Dr. Phil’s advice from the shows that he is watching or just dictating to his daughters? Alexandra and Victoria say their father has tried to control them their entire lives, from telling them who they could hang out with, which TV shows they could watch and even tried to putting a tracking device on their phones. Steve’s daughters say they want him to back off and stop what they call his controlling behavior. But Steve says it’s not that he’s controlling, there are actually legitimate reasons for all of the decisions he has made, all designed to keep his daughters safe. Find out what Dr. Phil has to say about Steve’s parenting.

Find out what happened on the show.

Soon the Community will be closing down on DrPhil.com. Please log in to your account now to save any content, including images, posts, blogs and comments from your profile that you would like to keep, prior to the section being inaccessible.

Just because the community is closing doesn’t mean the discussions are ending. We still want to hear from you and encourage you to join the conversations on Dr. Phil’s social media channels! You'll be able to find exclusive show content, behind-the-scenes footage, personal Dr. Phil photos and more! And, you can join active viewer conversations.

Come join us:

Facebook
Twitter
Instagram
YouTube
Comments
Replied By: dblake864 on Sep 14, 2017, 4:57PM
First of all, you are old enough to be living on your own. Then you can come and go as you please. Problem solved. Second, Dad is a nut job. I've known men like this. He's a stalker. Following a grown woman on a date. My father did stuff like this when I was in college. I was so glad to move away and have as little contact with him as possible. When he died, I hadnt seen him in over a year. I didn't shed a tear and felt like a huge burden had been lifted off my shoulders.

Replied By: mishmac26 on Sep 14, 2017, 10:59AM
Please tell Sinead that her story has given me hope and makes me feel not so alone. 

Replied By: aipdepcjc on Sep 11, 2017, 6:02PM
I can't believe the way the shows have been going lately. I feel these girls are lucky to have a dad that cared so much. Many of us didn't have a dad in our life And would have loved to have a dad to protect us. I don't feel this was overprotective. I was the same with my two girls. And still am. 17 and 24. And we watched this show together and couldn't understand how spoiled they act. The girls made their decisions. At some point they need to be responsible for their actions. Not blame this dad. They are grown. Be thankful they have a dad. 

I'm tired of some of the advice dr Phil is giving. He is being hard on the wrong people. This could've been a deadbeat dad  No he was in their life. 

Replied By: lindabthompson on Sep 11, 2017, 5:25PM
come on dr. phil ! more BEAUTIFUL flicking haired daughters whining about whatever.  and i just had to change the channel during yet another sinead o'connor commercial.  there were so many last week - one after another, and now this week again.  are you trying to drive us all insane or what ?  if so, it is working !  you have shown a huge bias toward people with children - and obviously, toward people with BEAUTIFUL DAUGHTERS !!   the rest of us are all just flapping in the wind - fending for ourselves.  oh yeah - those girls really look like they LACK SELF WORTH -- IF I COUNTED ALL THE "BEAUTIFULS", OMG - I WOULD BE UP TO AT LEAST  A DOZEN AND IT IS ONLY THE FIRST 15 MINUTES !!  OOPS = THERE GOES ANOTHER ONE.   and that previous poster was right on - those girls were very little when 9-11 happened!!! they SHOULDN'T HAVE WATCHED IT !!    please do not have this new season be one "beautiful whiny daughter after another" !!  PLEASE !!  my parents didn't give a hoot about me, and i had to raise myself and my much younger brother and sister, who called ME mommy.   i would have given almost ANYTHING to have one parent care about me - even a little.

Replied By: leeshal on Sep 11, 2017, 4:28PM
TThis Dad needs a reality check. How are these 2 woman going to learn from their mistakes if he doesn't let them doing anything?

Replied By: omeomi09 on Sep 11, 2017, 4:14PM
Younger daughter whines "couldn't watch 9/11 coverage"?  She was 4 - how many 4 yr olds watched that?  Do these young women work?  Why does #2 daughter still WANT to live at home?  Why didn't MOM tell them she had cancer?  Why does a 6th grader need to know that detail?  Does their mother have anything to do with them.  Could it be they still focus on "daddy's fault" because Daddy supports them?

Time to get over daddy issues - and live your own life.  Does Dr Phil have any idea how many kids grow up without discussions of sex - being told what to do and not allowed to have certain friends or go certain places or watch certain movies? 

Replied By: omeomi09 on Sep 11, 2017, 4:14PM
Younger daughter whines "couldn't watch 9/11 coverage"?  She was 4 - how many 4 yr olds watched that?  Do these young women work?  Why does #2 daughter still WANT to live at home?  Why didn't MOM tell them she had cancer?  Why does a 6th grader need to know that detail?  Does their mother have anything to do with them.  Could it be they still focus on "daddy's fault" because Daddy supports them?

Time to get over daddy issues - and live your own life.  Does Dr Phil have any idea how many kids grow up without discussions of sex - being told what to do and not allowed to have certain friends or go certain places or watch certain movies? 

Replied By: gladdyss on Sep 11, 2017, 2:33PM
More whining daughters? I hope this is not a theme for the rest of the season.

I have two daughters who are now aged 27 and 29. I never allowed them to watch the news until they were in their teens. I monitored all their TV and movie watching.  Yes, they went to school and had to admit that they did not see all the latest shows. I fed them a steady diet of whole foods. I told them there would be no datng until they were 16. I monitored their online activity. Thank God I never had a serious illness but I would not have dumped it on my girls if I had.

Neither of my girls got pregnant before marriage. Both went to university and have bachelor's and master's degrees. Neither have ever done anything to make me ashamed, nor did they go "crazy" with partying when they were away at university.They were by no means perfect and I was not a perfect mother, however, being protective of your kids does not produce teenage pregnancies and alcohol issues. That is down to their own bad choices.

My elder daughter told me recently that she was glad I had raised them the way I did.

This dad may be rather controling, but I personally see nothing wrong with what he did. The girls need to take responsibility for their own actions. Stop blaming the father who clearly loves them to bits.

Replied By: dlkangels4 on Sep 11, 2017, 10:58AM - In reply to cheriebengal
I know what your saying about being able to commen when the show is actually showing what you want to comment about. I'm watching as the girl is dogging her Mother that used to be an alcoholic and had been sober for 7 yrs. This girl is constantly bringing up the past and no matter how many times the women admits her wrongs and says "she can't go back and change it, the girl wants more !!! And Dr. Phil is doing the same to the point that the women doesn't know what they want from her and that causes her to fumble her words and before she can answer he's on her with another question or comment. Sometimes he just seems to pick and choose who he wants to support or intimidate!!!  I mean yes Dr. Phil you are good but you don't always get it right!!! I studied psychology  criminal justice and have see many times on this show and else where that you automatically jump on the side of the child and blame the parent because they are the ones raising that child BUT a child especially a teen or preteen is in school and have a lot of influence from other adults and kids 8 to 9 hours a day!!! I was just not happy with his rudeness and degrading remarks to this Mom !!!

Replied By: cheriebengal on Sep 10, 2017, 1:36PM
The way the website is set up, it's hard to comment on a prior week's show, and I'm just now catching up on one from last week about a bad mother.The mother if Vicky, and the daughter Eldora. I can't believe what Dr. Phil said. He chastised the daughter for not helping the drunk, abusive mom! It's a mother who put her in foster care and in psych wards. The daughter managed to straighten her life and would like her mother to do the same. I don't care that the mother had an abusive childhood herself, she doesn't get a free pass.

I've noticed that Dr. Phil takes compassion on people who break down, and those who don't and who have it all together, he has less compassion on. Just because this flighty, drunk (yes drunk!!) of a mother cried and was abused as a child, Dr. Phil chastised the abused daughter. Sorry, Dr. Phil, your brain has gone to mush. Yes, the mother deserves compassion and help, but the daughter did NOT need to be chastised by you. Shame on you! Really. I've watched you for years, and you usually get it right, but just because the daughter managed to get herself together and decided not to repeat what her mother did to her, doesn't mean she should be punished for judging her mother. The mother SHOULD be judged. Wow, how dare you speak like that to the daughter who was spoken like that all her life by this woman. You continued and sanctioned the abuse. Yes, you critized the daughter who was belittled and criticized all her life. I felt so bad for her. I hope you apologized for your lapse in judgment.

Showing 1-10 of total 10 Comments