2017 Shows

Elora claims her mother, Vicki, is sometimes “the worst mom in history” and acts more like a selfie-taking teenager than a responsible parent. When Elora was growing up, she says Vicki, who has her master’s degree in clinical psychology, took the easy way out when it came to dealing with the stress of Elora’s difficult teen years. She claims that her mother put her in the psych ward three times and even put her in foster care. Elora says she is now worried about her 8-year-old brother and 8-year-old niece who are currently living with her mother. She says she’s “fearful history will repeat itself.” Elora asks Dr. Phil to help her and her mom.

Find out what happened on the show.

Soon the Community will be closing down on DrPhil.com. Please log in to your account now to save any content, including images, posts, blogs and comments from your profile that you would like to keep, prior to the section being inaccessible.

Just because the community is closing doesn’t mean the discussions are ending. We still want to hear from you and encourage you to join the conversations on Dr. Phil’s social media channels! You'll be able to find exclusive show content, behind-the-scenes footage, personal Dr. Phil photos and more! And, you can join active viewer conversations.

Come join us:

Facebook
Twitter
Instagram
YouTube
Comments
Replied By: cara_c on Sep 8, 2017, 1:35AM
Elora is a young woman with her own child who was raised by an neglectful, substance-abusing mother, has gone through hell, being put into foster care when she was suicidal due to lack of love and healthy attention, managed to pull herself together, and Dr. Phil is scolding her for not helping her mother? What? After the childhood she had, that is not her job. Her job is to raise her own child and maintain her sanity, which usually involves putting some distance between yourself and your still-drinking childhood abuser, not becoming her assistant and enabler.

It's wonderful that Dr. Phil had compassion for Vicki and the suffering she'd gone through, but he should have been more sensitive to Elora's experience. Of course, if Elora is in a position to be a sane and loving presence in the lives of her little brother and niece, I hope she can find a way to do so. I wish Vicki the best, too. But Elora should be aware that while some people turn into loving, caring people when they get sober, others don't have the capacity to do so. Narcissists, for example, will never be able to put the needs of others ahead of their own.

This show also highlighted how dysfunctional our foster care system has become. What good does it do to remove a child from a home where they are being abused or neglected and then put them in a series of other homes that aren't any better?

Replied By: jen222 on Sep 6, 2017, 8:33PM
Seems to me if daughter is as mature as she claims to be she would be helping her mother not berating her.  If she was older and more mature she would realize that unless she puts herself in someone else's shoes she doesn't know what they are dealing with. it seems like Mom is the only one admitting she has done things wrong. I think both of them are valuable people and should try to work together.

Replied By: hannamua on Sep 6, 2017, 6:29PM
this story is really reaching In a lot of areas. Also I made a profile on here just to make a comment about the nudity thing. Walking around your kid's in series of undress in the morning or changing your clothes in a non sexual way is completely natural. My mom did it my whole life and still does, and my husbands mom and my friends mom's. It is not uncommon and it shouldn't be.

Replied By: julia_m on Sep 6, 2017, 5:04PM
I take exception with Dr. Phil turning to Elora and hammering her for not 'helping' her very dysfuncional mother. Elora is recovering from the abuse/neglect that she grew up with and doing the best she can with her own life. It is NOT her job to attempt to 'help' the dysfunction that her mother has foisted on her children for their entire lives. It is up the Vicki, a mental health professional for crying out loud, to ASK for help. She knows that there is counseling/therapy availiable to her to help her to deal with being a single parent. She KNOWS  that her drinking is a huge problem and absolutely KNOWS that there is help for that. Vicki sat there and attempted to excuse her bad parenting and behavior with the fact that she is a single parent. Lady, there are LOADS of single parents in this world dealing with far greater issues than you. One of the seniors at my church raised 7 children in the projects all by herself. Her children have grown up to be successful, happy adults with good families of their own. Believe, me, if she could do such a great job with 7 children living in poverty in a violent, gang and drug infested ghetto, then Vicki, with her education, training, and income should be able to step up and get herself turned around.

Showing 1-4 of total 4 Comments