2017 Shows

Michael and Sharen Gravelle were convicted of child endangerment and abuse for their parenting tactics, including making their children sleep in cages. Eighteen-year-old Simon says he was a survivor of the abuse. Dr. Phil producers track down one of Simon’s adopted siblings, a young girl named Abba, and surprise the two by reuniting them for the first time in 10 years. And, there are more shocking revelations when Simon and Abba are reunited with other people from their past, including the person who reported the abuse which then helped with their rescue! (OAD: 4-26-17)

Find out what happened on the show.
Comments
Replied By: blohr1912 on Apr 27, 2017, 7:07AM
I believe I heard that young man Simon say that he had a twin and if that's true it's sad that he doesn't know where his twin or any other of the poor children that were in that house. Hopefully having this show aired on the Dr. Phil show the other kids that were involved in this aweful situation will come forward and they can all be reunited with each other. I can't believe that the "parents" only got 2 years. They should be locked in cages the rest of their lives for what they did to those kids.

Replied By: elinacassa on Apr 26, 2017, 7:02PM
This show hit home I was in foster care I had a few good foster parents I won't take away from the ones who were truly there to help us kids who have been placed in their care because they were neglected, My mom (foster mom) who I called Mom because she treated me with unconditional love, she never gave up on me even when I was removed from her care because I was a rebelling teenager, and was placedin homes that were abusive, they were in it for the money and free childcare, I was sexually abuse and physically abuse by a foster dad and by a family member of a foster parent, I had tried to kill myself because I thought this is what my life would be like abuse and neglect, I fear that some of those foster parents are still fostering children even though I had told my social workers what was going on. I even told my counselor. But this had a happy ending I ended up back at my First foster home with my MOM, against all odds I graduated and I have some college education. Though the tramaic experience has effected me I have many mental health issues and I don't trust anyone. I hope that this topic because more talked about. 

I thank you for the show today, it made me realize I am not the only one who has been abused by the system, I hope this makes the government or whoever is in charge of foster care system finds ways to eliminate any other kids from being abused.

Replied By: julia_m on Apr 26, 2017, 6:53PM
I am so sorry that these lovely 'children' were so horribly neglected and abused by their so-called "foster parents". I wish I could take away the suffering that they endured day after day and night after night. The lonliness, the deprivation, the hunger, the pain, fear, confusion, and despair. I'm very glad that Dr. Phil is providing much needed psychological care for them. And, I am thrilled that Simon received a scholarship to the college that he wants to attend for a degree in social work!! Simon, stay with it!! You will be able to help lots of chldren with your experience and caring heart. If you need assistance with your coursework, please don't hesitate to ask for assistance with tutoring at the college. You deserve to succeed!! Additionally, I am furious that the monsters who perpetrated the horrible abuse and neglect, only received 2 years in prison. I just can't understand that. They deserve to spend the rest of their pathetic lives in a cage. Finallly, how could CPS and the foster care systerm wait 3 years to do anything about this horrible situation??? What on earth happened there? I wish the very best for all of the children who were victims of the two monsters. I hope that they are able to realize their most heartfelt dreams.

Replied By: merryberry on Apr 26, 2017, 6:28PM - In reply to szepia
The show brought light to the situation and what happened. My guess and my hope is that eventually the case was looked at and reviewed as those so-called "parents" went to jail. Not long enough though. I'm sure those kids want to move forward. The system that protects children doesn't always work...this is not okay, but a fact. Dr. Phil has a show. He brought the case to light and helped who he could. It's not his job to do the rest. It was the job of those who didn't listen in the first place. In addition to the "parents", they are the ones who failed these children.

Replied By: atruefriend on Apr 26, 2017, 6:16PM
It took 3 years for the system to follow up on the reported abuse?  why? why?  The man that checked on the family and kids said he pulled over and wept after he left!  If it was so bad why didn't he pursue the case after the system failed to take action immediately?  He was made out to be a hero, but is he?  Seems like he was handed a case to check on the family.  He checked on the family and reported abuse.  Nothing was done and it appears he did nothing until someone reopened the case 3 years later and contacted him.  So Sad.

I feel so sorry for those kids.

Replied By: finnifan on Apr 26, 2017, 6:11PM
Admittedly, I know nothing about the foster care system, but I felt as I watched this show, some serious Qs need to be asked: 1) How were thesefoster care parents allowed to bring 11 black children into their home? Isn't that a red flag? 11? 2) Did no one from social services ever make house calls to check on the welfare of these children. Clearly not, and WHY NOT? 3) A report was filed, and nothing was done for 3 years. For SHAME!

I'm in awe of Simon and Abba, both lovely people. I just finished watching the show and wanted to hug them and cry. I'm still shaking with emotional, upset that this atrocity was ever allowed to happen and that the monsters that caged them spend only TWO years in cages as pennance. They should be locked up for life for what they did. 

Replied By: jennifer777 on Apr 26, 2017, 6:09PM
I was also in tears watching this episode. What amazing strength and resilience Simon and Abba have shown. That they have come out of this horrific childhood experience with such strength is truly amazing. It was lovely to see they reunite. It was great to see that Abba found wonderful adoptive parents after she got out of this; but I do not believe it was ever stated what happned with Simon afterwards. He has turned into a lovely young man, with great aspirations towards helping others to help what he has gone through. I would like to have known what happened to the other 9 children, if known.

Replied By: finnifan on Apr 26, 2017, 6:05PM - In reply to szepia
I wondered the same thing! How is it that after the guest on the show reported the abuse NOTHING WAS DONE FOR 3 YEARS!?!? Lawsuit, indeed.

Replied By: szepia on Apr 26, 2017, 5:49PM
I watched most of today's show about the children who were abused and  kept in cages for years until a man reported the situation to Child Protective Services or the foster home organization.

My question is, and Dr Phil did not afddress this at all, why was this man's report ignored for 3 years and nothing done about it????

If I would be those children, I would sue the shirt of those neglectful agencies. I am disappointed in Dr Phil for not talking about this. I hope that some attornies paid attention to the story and will help the childre, now adults, to persue a suit against Child Protective Services and the Foster Home Association or whatever these agencies are called. They let the children down as much as those abusive parents did.  

Replied By: merryberry on Apr 26, 2017, 5:38PM
all the blessings you missed as children come back to you going forward!  Hopefully the others will be found and they too will find joy in their lives. Many thanks to Dr. Phil and the others who helped.  I gotta say...it is a sure sign of the human spirit, and the will of a person to strive. I don't know how these kids managed to move forward with such poise and dignity. It is incredible!

Showing 11-20 of total 24 Comments