Twitter Facebook YouTube

2009 Shows

For most single mothers, one child is enough of a handful, but when a 33-year-old woman in Southern California gave birth to eight premature babies -– in addition to the six children under the age of 8 she already has -- the country started talking! The mother of 14, Nadya, is keeping a low profile, but it is reported that all her children were created through in-vitro fertilization, an expensive and purposeful process. Questions are cropping up: How did she end up with eight embryos? How will she care for all of them? Who will pay these children’s expenses over the years? How do we take the children’s well-being into account in reproductive medicine? Dr. Phil and his panel of esteemed guests, including Dr. Jim Sears co-host of The Doctors, debate the ethical questions that have been raised. Share your thoughts, join the discussion.

Find out what happened on the show.
Comments
Replied By: billibong on Oct 10, 2009, 7:47AM
Hey there,

I can't understand why everyone has such judgemental opinions about Nadya...like their so perfect. I mean it's all very well to stand back in the shadows and shout disapproval from the corridors yet I'm sure if the microscope was thrusted onto everyone else we'd all have something to negatively point out! (He who is without sin can cast the first stone).

I'm not saying that having a total of 14 children is a choice I would make for myself...but this was Nadya"s choice and she has that right! It amazes me at how many of you are so quick to tear strips of this lady and yet barely anyone mentions perhaps the flaws that are in the medical system over there or even the fact that there are doctors that happily perfomed the IVF treatments.

It really annoys me that so much attention in the negative form has been thrown Nadya's way yet strangely people don't get nearly as outraged on issues such as abortion. I notice some have mentioned things like "God bless those babies", after having nothing but judgemental comments to say yet they fail to see that it was God that blessed her to have these babies in the first place.

If people want to put so much energy in what shoulda, coulda and woulda...then how about channelling some of that energy into offering help or finding out how to donate to those little precious kids. While doing that maybe throw some of that passion towards helping out kids on the street or donating to children's charities etc. and if you're really genuinely concerned, then go further and perhaps lobby your government into putting in policies as to what is deemed appropiate when IVF treatment is concerned.

Your medical system over there is completely different to ours in Australia...I must say I prefer ours as we as a nation all contribute through our taxes and as a result everyone is entitled to free quality medical care.

People who seem to think that adoption and seperation of this family  as a good thing are in my opinion crazy. How would they like it if they were forced as babies to be seperated from their real Mum and brothers and sisters. The fact that some people think this way is totally ridiculous as to me, family is everything and just because you wouldn't make the same decision  or you know you couldn't handle the situatiuon doesn't give you the right to impose that on others. What your capable of handling as opposed to what someone else can handle are two completely different things. You can't put measures on others that you think are right or dictate to others either...you know "Freedom" is more than just a word...

These kids deserve to be together as afterall they are an extraordinary family. In any case, I hope that Nadya gets the help she needs in raising HER little kids. I also hope that those kids grow up in a loving and safe enviroment and who knows,  they may grow up to be the next doctor that helps save someone else's childs life or perhaps a lawyer who brings justice to the underdog. The fact is they as all children are an absolute blessing from God and that in itself deserves some respect.

Replied By: minneman on Sep 11, 2009, 10:59AM
Please, leave the woman alone! She took a wrong decision, but don't we all sometimes. Let her be and give her attention to the children instead of to the rest of the world. I hope she and her children get the help they need and wish them a healthy and happy life. 

Mildred from Holland 

Replied By: leeleemi on Jun 12, 2009, 3:12PM
man you know please if she didnt want the attention and the buks she knew she was going to get from having 8 babies she wouldnt have gone for frikn ivf and implanted ALL embryos u fukn bitch.....she would defina8ly not be in the media and getting all this free stuff if she just had one or two babies maybe not even three but of course attention gna be on you for life if you a bloody dole bludger with 14 kids. mate how she ever posed to go anywhere with togetherwith all of them and do it all by herself she is mad.

Replied By: leeleemi on Jun 12, 2009, 3:11PM - In reply to raceykar227
you know everyone says poor children got keep together its best for them. what would be best is instead of sharing them all between nutjob where they can of course not get the fukn full effect of being wanted and loved why just think about it...1 person between 14 babies....or 1 precious baby adopted to a permanant couple for life. no media drama the child can have a normal upbringing. lets face it the babies dont know each other at the moment but getting adopted to different families that will love them for them as a individual little human and not for what they are to nadya bitch...a fulltime moneymaker they will always be if they are kept together with the bitch....mate they will be the poor babies of the freaky angelina wanabe octomum bludger of the american taxpayers

Replied By: momof7kiddos on Jun 2, 2009, 11:37PM
I am a mother of 7 kids under the age of 8 and yes I do plan on having more. My husband and I have been married for nearly 9 years. We ask NO ONE for help not friends, family, no one. So when people have or try to have a reality show about the number of children they have it makes me sick. Children are NOT money makers for parents. Kate needs to mind her own business and lord knows if she was paying attention to her life maybe her marriage wouldn't be questioned. Nadya really needs to find someone for those kids sake. Children need parents (doesn't matter whether the family is gay or straight). If she succeeds in taking care of these kids on her own then kudos for her. Another celebrity I have issues with is Angelina Jolie. If you remember back she said she wanted to adopt a child from every country. Well giving a child a home whether adopted or not is great but everytime she does she sales their pictures and story to the press for millions. She claims it goes to charity but why make it such a public matter. Their are many celebs out their who keep their kids away from the spotlight and that is how it should be. They are true parents not out to make money on their kids. I also feel that Dr.Phil had no right talking to Kate Gosselin about Nadya's situation. Someone who has their own issues in their life that have been totally publicized has no right what so ever judging someone else. The only people that matter in either issue are the kids. As long as they are taken care of , healthy and being given the things children should be given no one has a right to judge. It should only be when the kids arent taken care of. As for some peoples comments on Nadya not taking help from other people What is wrong with that? I don't blame her there, If you are going to have kids take care of them yourself dont expect other people to do it for you their your kids not someone elses responsibility.

Replied By: vamp69 on Apr 7, 2009, 11:35PM
I just read a story about Nadya and someone throwing a babyseat through the back window of an auto they owned?  How awful!  Isn't this situation bad enough?  Don't you all think the poor children feel it everyday of their lives?  Stop already!

I am not a fan of Nadya by any means but God does love the children even if the mother is a selfish self centered witch!  Do Not punish poor babies for being born to that! Please!!

I do feel they need REAL LOVE and REAL CARE!  I don't think Nadya cares about them but all this hostility makes me believe even more they need to be taken away and put in a place for safety!

I pray God will take care of the children, I don't care about the adults they know better they know what they did!  That is between them and God but the children should NOT have to suffer for their pathetic excuse of a life!

Replied By: vamp69 on Apr 7, 2009, 11:34PM
I just read a story about Nadya and someone throwing a babyseat through the back window of an auto they owned?  How awful!  Isn't this situation bad enough?  Don't you all think the poor children feel it everyday of their lives?  Stop already!

I am not a fan of Nadya by any means but God does love the children even if the mother is a selfish self centered witch!  Do Not punish poor babies for being born to that! Please!!

I do feel they need REAL LOVE and REAL CARE!  I don't think Nadya cares about them but all this hostility makes me believe even more they need to be taken away and put in a place for safety!

I pray God will take care of the children, I don't care about the adults they know better they know what they did!  That is between them and God but the children should NOT have to suffer for their pathetic excuse of a life!

Replied By: raceykar227 on Mar 31, 2009, 4:14PM - In reply to nynoggin
Gloria needs an attitude adjustment I can't stand her negative comments all the time. I am a foster mother of a special needs child and let me tell you the LA County could carelss about my child as long as he has a relative that he is living with and a roof over his head they could careless.  I think everyone needs to chill out and let her take care of her babies obviously she has 6 other children and they all seem happy and well taken care of no one has even mentioned that.  I think it is absolutely disgusting all the negative comments that people are giving about Nadya, Yes she was wrong to do that but we cannot turn time back we need to move forward so these babies can have a normal happy life.  LEAVE NADYA ALONE and GLORIA needs a man or an attitude adjustment for sure.  I work for a lawyer and have for the past 30 year I would never never work for that evil women she is terrible and keeps giving cheesy smiles at the camera, she needs to butt out. 

Replied By: denmarr on Mar 30, 2009, 9:13PM
THESE BABIES SHOULD BE GIVEN UP FOR ADOPTION NO QUESTIONS ASKED,  THAT MOM  IS NOT A MOM SHE IS A USER WHO IS ONLY TRYING TO BE TAKEN CARE OF  IN STYLE. SHE IS USING HER KIDS AND HAS USED UP HER PARENTS  AND PUT THEM IN BANKRUPTCY , FORECLOSURE ,ALL THE WHILE SAYING SHE IS NOT ASKING FOR ANYONE TO PAY FOR HER DECISIONS, SHE HAS PAYED FOR ALL THIS HERSELF YEA RIGHT.  WHAT PLANET DID SHE COME FROM.  STUDENT LOANS, HER PARENTS ETC. THEN THE TAXPAYERS WHO FOOT MOST OF THE BILLS.  WHO IS SHE KIDDING. SHE SHOULD HAVE NO RIGHTS TO KEEP THEM SHE IS UNFIT.  THE CHILDREN  OR BABIES AT LEAST NEED TO BE GIVEN UP FOR ADOPTION SO THEY HAVE A CHANCE AT A NORMAL LIFE.  THEY WILL NEVER HAVE THAT WITH HER.   LETTING HER KEEP THEM IS REWARDING HER FOR WHAT SHE DID AND PUNISHING THE CHILDREN, ALL OF THEM.

Replied By: katlin44 on Mar 26, 2009, 9:46PM
I really don't understand why this woman is allowed and supported to keep these children at this point.  She stated today her children were not medically fragile because they are at 6lbs the ones that came home!  Any babie is medically fragile that young, you don't surround them with people with positive TB scratch tests and who knows what else with so many in the house.   If I saw that mayhem in front of my house coming home from the hospital I'd have the car pointed away fast as possible.  No woman or person can nurture 14 kids so what kind of mental, emotional grounding will they have? Who will they run to when they need a soft place to fall and mom has 4 others ahead of you?  I don't like Gloria any more then Nadia but she was providing services for no other reason then the children ALL of the children.   Dr. Phil I know you say you don't support what she did but lets help the kids.  I see you defend the woman and I just don't get it.  She felt uncomfortable? maybe because the AIW nurses expected she would act like a mother not a teenager ?   It's all so sad.

Showing 1-10 of total 1062 Comments