Twitter Facebook YouTube

2009 Shows

(Original Air Date: 02/09/09) “If you’re somebody who uses drugs, you do drugs recreationally, or you have a child who’s experimenting with drugs because ‘That’s just what kids do,’ or ‘Everybody does it,’ please sit down with me in the next hour, pick up the phone right now, call a friend, call two, tell them to tune in, get your child next to you on the couch,” Dr. Phil tells his viewers. Stephanie was an aspiring songwriter who loved taking care of kids. Diana was a preschool teacher with a bright future. Neither one of these women knew they could end up addicted to drugs, on the brink of death. They face Dr. Phil to ask for help, but do they really want out of their drug-crazy lifestyles? Does Stephanie deserve a second chance? Don’t miss this intense intervention. Plus, former Dr. Phil guest and addict lifeline, Joani, celebrates a milestone and receives a momentous surprise.

Find out what happened on the show.
Comments
Replied By: kate18 on Apr 9, 2014, 6:55PM
I have been watching reruns of past Dr. Phil shows, and I recently saw this show on Wasted Youth.  I just recently lost my brother to a drug overdose .  He has had multiple drug overdoses in the past.  He had suffered from chronic pain and love to get wasted, always over doing it on his presciption pills. As a family, we knew drugs would take his life one day, but nothing can prepare you when it finally happens.  My family and I have to learn to live on without him now, which has been extremely painful.  I cannot even imagine the pain his four kids are going through.  So, I was wondering what happened to Diana ?  Also, has anyone put together a group for family members that lost a loved one from drug abuse ?

Replied By: aintnofoolnomo on Jun 12, 2009, 2:18PM
I am the parent of two addicts and a grateful member of Nar-Anon Family Groups.  I spent a long time in denial and suffered the common anxieties of fear and sadness in trying to ignore the addiction that was diminishing the lives of my children and the happiness in my life.  When I finally got out of the denial phase, then I went into the "fix it" phase;  I was more than willing to sacrifice my own life and well-being if I could only find the cure.  I rode that roller coaster of insanity way too long and finally got off that ride when I was told (at my son's rehab) that I needed to get into my own program of recovery or both of us might succumb to the "disease of addiction" (my drug of choice was obsession).
Thank God Nar-Anon was there when I needed it and so were a wonderful group of friends and families of addicts (I finally found a place to where I could be honest and start getting healthy): I don't believe anyone (addict or family member) can get healthy until they get honest.
I'd like to encourage anyone who is suffering in their relationships with their beloved addicts to get honest too and join me: www.nar-anon.org
We also have a forum where we have online meetings and chats: http://www.naranon.com/forum
The best part of joining this program is in knowing that you need never be alone again!

Replied By: mamaw2718 on Jun 12, 2009, 7:22AM
I am so scared....I have been married since 1965 to the most wonderful man.....he found out yesterday that I was once again taking Fiorinal 3 after getting off of it a couple months ago....I feel there must be something wrong with my brain....why would I risk my happy life for a stupid pill. 
Is there really any help out there for someone like me....our friends would be shocked to know that I was so addicted.....I don't appear to be an addict, but then again who does?  I am retired from education, and my husband as a project manager....we seem like a normal family....that is why I am so scared....what is normal?

Replied By: wmguenthner on Jun 11, 2009, 6:26PM
I have a son that is 19 years old and is a drug addict. As they say the first thing to rehab is admitting you have a problem which he has a took a baby step in saying that. But I cannot get him any help. I keep getting turned away because they cannot talk to me due to him being 19. I am so tired of hearing that even if it is the law. He may be 19 but he is a drug addict. He is not thinking straight and who does when they are on drugs. He is not thinking oh Imight go to jail for this. he is just worried about where is he gonna be able to get the money to buy more drugs and keep feeling good. How can a person decide they need help when they actually feel good due to the drug? I know he needs help but until he admits it, I can't do anything. I can go and have him arrested tomorrow at the snap of my finger but to get help to get him off drugs, it will take an act of congress!!! In other words its not going to happen!!!!  If someone out there can lead me in right direction please do so!!!

Replied By: linuslucy123 on Jun 11, 2009, 5:51PM
I THINK DRUG ADICTION IS A DISEASE.  MY SISTER IN LAW STARTED SMOKING MARIJUANA AT THE AGE OF 12 NOW SHE IS 42 AND SHE IS A FULL BLOWN HEROIN ADDICT.  SHE HAS BEEN IN AND OUT OF REHAB SO MANY TIMES AND IN AND OUT OF JAIL SO MANY TIMES I CAN'T EVEN KEEP TRACK.  SHE WAS IN A HALF WAY HOUSE AND LEFT. SHE ENDED UP AT MY DOOR STEP BEGGING FOR HELP WE LET HER IN.  WE CHECKED HER BAGS AND WENT THROUGH EVERYTHING SHE HAD BEFORE WE LET HER IN OUR HOUSE.  AFTER TWO DAYS I FOUND CRACK IN HER BAG. OUT THE DOOR SHE WENT. CALLED THE COPS AND THEY CAME AND GOT HER SO FAST  IT MADE HER  HEAD SPIN.. EVER SINCE THEN WE HAVE HAD A  RESTRAINING ORDER AGAINST HER WE NEVER HAD IT LIFTED AND I DON'T THINK WE EVER WILL.  I HAVE TO DO WHAT I THINK IS BEST FOR MY FAMILY AND DO WAHT IS BEST FOR THEM.  I AM NOT GOING TO LOOSE EVERYHTING I WORKED SO HARD FOR MY WHOLE LIFE TO A DRUG ADDICT THAT CAN'T CONTROLL THEMSELVES.  ASKING FOR HELP IS ONE THING BUT LYING TO SOMEONE AFTER BEGGING THEM FOR HELP IS ANOTHER.  I WILL NEVER FORGIVE HER FOR WHAT SHE PUT MY FAMILY THROUGH THE TWO DAYS SHE WAS IN MY HOUSE. YOU MAY SAY IT WAS STUPID FOR ME TO LET HER IN BUT THE LOOK AND DESPERATION ON HER FACE I COULDN'T SAY NO.  BEFORE WE FOUND THE DRUGS IN HER BAG I FOUND A PLACE FOR HER IN A REHAB CENTER AND SHE WOULD  FEEL SAFE THERE.  WE WERE GOING TO TAKE HER THERE IN 7 DAYS. IT WAS A 120 DAYS TREATMENT CENTER. SHE SAID SHE WAS LOOKING FORWARD TO GOING AND GETTING THE HELP SHE NEEDED.

Replied By: slkbenz02 on Jun 11, 2009, 4:52PM
I personally knew Diana...It's been about 10-12 years since I last saw her, but seeing her today on the show, broke my heart.... She is not the Diana I knew many years ago.... I met her through friends in Maryland, we hung out and I always thought she was a beautiful girl who was going to go far in life, to be just as successful as her older sister Anita...She was a great friend and all of us girls have great memories together, but looking back that's all they are, memories, I wish I could talk to her now, wish both Nicole and I could talk to her, remind her of good times, simpler days and times when we were just being "girls" hanging out in the backyard @ the pool, going to the track, having sleepovers, driving around in the Black Honda... We hope and pray that rehab will help to save her because we don't want to see another friend's life taken by drugs...We love you Diana, and know that no matter where in life you are that you are stronger than this, you deserve way better than the life you are living now....We miss you and hope that you find trust and love in your heart to get clean and sober and stay that way, do it for YOU not Dr.Phil, Mom, Dad, Anita or anyone else, do it for YOU!!!

Replied By: mollynme1953 on Jun 11, 2009, 4:42PM
I s there a rehab for those enablers, and caregivers of these addicts. I wish they would make this an official disease so I could maybe get on the show. After a decade I am cold to addiction...I compare it to the movie "groundhog day" because it is the same day over and over...different drug maybe...but always the same. I have experienced jelousy because of the loneliness that comes with this "disease", and the isolation; always torn about your own sanity because of the game they play.
You have the right to do whatever you choose to yourself but addiction NEVER stops with the addict, the selfishness they posess is neverending.
The Pharmacuitical Companys have made enough money to buy all their FANS a litle island...let them escape life but spare those inocent ones.

Replied By: hopeful2727 on Jun 11, 2009, 4:05PM - In reply to afraid
You may feel strongly in what you believe is accurate because of the experiences you had with these children. And God Bless you for being there for them. But addiction IS NOT a choice. It is very much a disease. I saw my children suffering from my choices, and thank the Lord, He entered my heart and blessed me with the will to find treatment that was right for me, and I am now a healthy successful single mother. Do not speak so harshly of things you do not understand, or have not lived through. Congrats on losing the weight- but do not ever compare drug addiction to being over weight. ADDICTION IS A FDA, MEDICALLY RECOGNIZED DISEASE.  I at first, too, believed it was a moral deficiancy, a lack of caring- and that is not so. I think you may feel that addicts may use the fact that it is a disease, as an excuse. But like people with diabetes, we have to choose treatment, or death. You will never hear a recovering addict using the fact that it is a disease, as an excuse. Again, bless your heart for helping those helpless babies and providing for them what no one else would. But please do not use your graciousness to these children, as a pedastal or soap box to down-grade recovering addicts. You may be surprised at just how many are a part of your world. People are people, and we are all equal here. Only God reserves the right to give others their judgement and punishment... And He will....God Bless you and your family.... Please try to read up on addiction as a disease...

Replied By: hopeful2727 on Jun 11, 2009, 3:46PM
I have been an opioid  addict for 14 years. I have a home and 2 children. It has only been recently that I have had success in sobriety with the help of a doctor and a medicine that treats craving and withdrawal. Stephanie is an opioid addict-whose mind DOES NOT function properly because of so much drug use. I feel for this girl because I literally hear her disease speaking- not her. I see in Stephanie's eyes what used to be in mine. So before all you judgemental people and you, Dr.Phil, discredit her sincerity- this girl may need medical help for awhile so her mind can heal and her cravings can be controlled. This medicine is for people like us, and I know many people who have been successful with it, IT IS NOT METHADONE.  It actually blockes any opioids from working if you relapse, and you cannot get high off of this med. Only another addict understands the power of craving. And how it can distort your mind, and break down your will power. It just angered me to see this girl inside the addict- who wants and needs help- and then realize, you all may not be offering the treatment she needs. Steph- there is more than one way of treatment.. DO NOT GIVE UP.

Replied By: debiwilliams38 on Jun 11, 2009, 3:10PM
First, unless you have been through this struggle it is easy to say what they should have done. The one with a ton of excuses to not go today is an active addict in full addiction.  It doesn't matter if she was ready or not, the fact that she did come on the show says she wants help. Her demons want her to stay in her addiction and that is what is speaking for her.  I just hope she was able to truly get clean and begin to get her life back.  Also, saying they are not ready will only cause them to use after rehab isn't always true.  The lady on the stage with two years clean didn't want to go either she said.

I just wonder how they are all doing since the show originally aired in February.  Hopefully Dr P will post something on their progress.  We should all be sending them positive thoughts and prayers.  They need it for this journey to their freedom. 

Showing 1-10 of total 76 Comments