Twitter Facebook YouTube

Archives

"I'm pregnant." Those two words can strike fear in the hearts of teenagers and their parents. Young moms-to-be probably find themselves asking, "What do I do?" "How do I tell my parents?" "Am I ready for this responsibility?" "What are my options?" "Is the father ready to BE a father?" "How will I support my child?" "Will my parents support me?"

What would do if you found yourself in this difficult situation? Would you have an abortion, and if so, why? Would you be afraid to tell your parents that you want an abortion? Would you keep the baby? Would you place the baby for adoption?  Share your thoughts here.

This board is now "Read only." Visit the DrPhil.com community to continue the conversation on our new message boards!
Comments
Replied By: jasmine1108 on Jun 13, 2012, 9:14PM
I'm in austrila and I was a teen mum I fell pregnant at the age of 16 and I think that shows like teen mom and 16 and pregnant glam up teen pregnancy. They all drive nice cars get fake boobs live in nice houses Ect. And not because they have grate jobs but because they gave birth at 16 I don't see how they get payed for that. I don't think most of went to year 12. I had my second baby at 19 and with two children I passed my year 12 it's really not that hard.the hole show is wrong the girls fight get locked up sleep around cheat lie THAT DOSE NOT MAKE A GOOD MUM but I'm sure heaps of young girls look at these shows and say if they get pregnant and get on the show they can have the nice cars nice how and fake boobs. In austrila we have what is call the baBy bonus whitch is when you baby is born you receive 5000 and that is a big thing that make people have babies down here...

Replied By: kgray1991 on Jun 13, 2012, 3:15PM
I definitley believe the shows on MTV do glamorize teen pregnancy.  Most of the girls on there seem to have a difficult life, but somehow they manage to make it work in a way.  What frustrates me most about the shows, is almost all of the girls immediately drop out of High School to get their GED.  Then it proceeds to show the girls struggling to even get that GED.  What irks me the most is the girls are getting paid to have their story broadcasted.  Sadly, young girls watch this show and think this is the ideal life and how things should be.

Not every teen mom does this.  I know plenty of girls who are teen moms and finished high school, went on to college, and still are raising their babies by themselves.  Obviously isn't the most ideal situation for any teenager to be put in, but there are teen moms out there who actually do work thru their situation and continue on with their dreams/goals while focusing on their baby as well.

Replied By: okierebel on Jun 13, 2012, 1:52PM - In reply to kyliedalynn
I asked the very same question last night to some of my twitter friends who were so happy the new season of teen moms was on.  I feel that shows like that promote teens to get pregnant. Hoping that they to can get on a show and become famous. 

When in reality, most moms end up with children they are not prepared to take care of. Parents end up raising them.  It is no life for the teen mom, her family and especially the child who did not asked to be brought in to this type of situation.

Replied By: kyliedalynn on Mar 30, 2012, 2:28PM - In reply to bentleysmom
First of all,

you made a mistake and you have realized that...but know this, Bently did NOTHING wrong, therefore he deserves the best you can do for him. That guy is the sperm doner and nothing more at this point. If he is denying your little boy, thats his fault not yours. You have to do what you can...try getting a job if your old enough, try getting medicade if you can, its not a cheap way out...its there to help. NOTHING is IMPOSSIBLE, girl. You have to be strong for that baby boy of yours and if something doesnt work out... thats fine. try something else. Granted im 18 as of january at the start of this year, I am now graduated... and about to have my little one ( Brentlee Glenn) I am with my babys daddy and im very blessed because he makes enough money to where i can stay home and be a homemaker. it might have been easier than most for me, but it doesnt mean i havent struggled because the most important thing i could have done, and DID was graduate. Honestly, That GED wasnt good enough for me. I wanted to say, I FINISHED school and if the babys daddy wasnt sin the picture, right now i would be on medicade and i would most deffinatly be working on a job. That guy (sperm donor) owes that baby boy of yours money so he can eat. DNA test him and get the money my dear, then work on a job. You can do it. 

Replied By: melissa101511 on Mar 14, 2012, 1:13PM
Coming from someone who is pregnant i would say its a lot harder than i thought it would be! I came from a broken home. I am 17. Two weeks before christmas my step dad kicked me out telling me he could care less if i lived on the streets and starve. I live with my fiance and his mom i consider myself lucky though to have someone that didnt even have to was willing to take me in. I just wish my parents would be there for me as well

Replied By: openhearts08 on Jan 19, 2012, 11:27AM - In reply to bentleysmom
the baby dad thing, YOu can do it on yur own. its hard as hell to have a baby without daddy there. i  know bc im doin it. i have a 3 yr old n im now 19. take him to child support. and one day maybe youlll meet a great guy that accepts you and yur baby n will raise it as his own.

Replied By: openhearts08 on Jan 19, 2012, 11:21AM
    I am i teenage mother. I found out i was pregnant when i was just 4 months into being 15. I gave birth to her 1 week and 5 days before my 16th birthday.Yes i did keep her. When i first found out i did think about adoption, but  it wasn't a consistent  thought n i wasn't really sure. When i first felt her move , them little butterfly feelings changed my mind completely. I knew then that i couldn't give her up. She was apart of me. and i couldn't give her to someone else It has been so hard. Her father was in and out of her life. still does not help me with her financially tho he does come around to see her sometimes. and he is now 21. so i was 15 pregnant and alone, ( besides my family).

Tho my mom was upset she helped me and has to this day helped me financially raise my baby. i did graduate high school. I lost all my friends but a few. When i started having sex i wasn't too educated on it. yeah i had the "sex talk" in like 5th grade. but after that it didn't really come up anymore. my parents never really talked to me about sex nor did the school. My opinion on why no one ever talk to about it. was bc they were afraid it would encourage it. or it was too embarrassing. would u rather talk and teach about it and "encourage it" or not talk about n let them find out their own way

My daughter is now 3 yrs old. im glad a kept her, she changed my life completely for the better. tho i do not wish this open any teenager.  my self personally, is totally against abortion. "You thought you was big enough to spread them legs " "you big enough to  push that baby out n give her to a family that can give her anything and everything that you couldn't" "(if you choose not to keep her/him)". I don't give props to anyone that encourages abortion, that baby didn't ask you to spread your legs and make it.

Replied By: vmorin on Sep 29, 2011, 6:08PM - In reply to svensson
i AM SO SORRY I DONT KNOW IF YOU HAVE READ MY POST YET BUT MY STEP DAUGHTER WAS IN YOUR SAME SITIUATION. I CAN NOT JUDGE YOUR PARENTS BUT I CAOULD NEVER FORCE MY DAUGHTER TO DO THAT. I AM SURE YOU WILL GO ON ONE DAY AND HAVE A BEAUTIFUL FAMILY AND BE A GREAT MOTHER,

Replied By: vmorin on Sep 29, 2011, 6:00PM
I HAVE TO SAY I WAS ON THE OTHER SIDE OF THAT BABY BELLY AT ONE POINT WITH MY STEP DAUGHTER, WHO AT 16 GOT PREGNANT. YOU WANT SO BADLY TO MAKE A CHOICE FOR THEM TO DO WHAT YOU SEE MAY BE THE RIGHT THING IN YOUR EYES BUT IS NOT IN THEIRS. HER MOTHER WAS PREGNANT AT A YOUNG AGE AND PASSED AWAY WHEN MY STEP DAUGHTER WAS YOUNGER. WHEN SHE WAS IN HIGH SCHOOL SHE GOT PREGNANT IT BROKE OUR HEARTS FOR HER BECAUSE WE KNEW HOW HARD IT WAS GOING TO BE. BUT HERE WE ARE NOW AND THAT PRECIOUS GRANDBABY IS A YEAR OLD. SHE IS NOW 18 WILL BE 19 IN MARCH AND IS DOING GREAT. THEY HAVE THEIR OWN PLACE THE DAD WHICH IS ONLY A FEW MONTHS OLDER WORKS AND SUPPORTS THEM. DO THEY DO EVERYTHING PERFECT...NO. DO THEY DO EVERTHING THE WAY WE THINK THEY SHOULD...NO. BUT THE THINGS WE DID AT 20 WERE NOT PERFECT IN OUR PARENTS EYES EITHER. BUT THAT BABY IS THE HAPPIEST BABY I HAVE EVER SEEN! I WISH SHE WOULD HAVE WAITED AND HAD SO MANY YEARS OF FUN BEHIND HER AND SO MANY THINGS SHE HAS MISSED OUT ON THAT ARE TO MANY TO NAME BUT SHE DID MAKE THAT LIL ONE AND THEY ARE RAISING HIM. AND DOING A GREAT JOB! I AM NOT FOR TEENAGE PREGNANCY AND I BELIEVE IT IS SO HARD NOT ONLY ON THE YOUNG PARENTS BUT ON THE ENTIRE FAMILY. BUT I DO BELIEVE IF IT HAPPENS SUPPORT THEM IN DOING WHAT IS BEST FOR THAT BABY IF IT IS TO KEEP AND RAISE. OR ANOTHER CHOICE THEY MAKE (LEGAL OF COURSE). GETTING IN THAT SITUATION DOES NOT MAKE THEM HORRIBLE TEENS THAT SHOULD BE KICKED OUT OF THE HOME OR WRITTEN OFF. IT JUST MAKES THEM TEENS THAT MADE A CHOICE THAT WILL CHANGE THIER LIVES FOREVER AND THEY NEED PEOPLE BEHIND THEM!

Replied By: svensson on Aug 17, 2011, 10:54AM
Hey everyone, I was a teen mom until it got taken away from me after parents talked. I had just turned 18 and my boyfriend and I found out that I was 3 months pregnate. We got a couple of days to figure out what we wanted to do. We both wanted to keep the baby of yours because it was something that was ours and just ours. We got help from our doctor and at that time I was living home with my parents and he with his mom.My dad came over for a long weekend because it was my brothers birthday, my dad was working in another country due to transfer. My mother and I had moved more apart from each other. I broke down the weekend my dad came over because he could see on me that I had changed in size. I opened up to my parents and they took it well and told me that we had to tell my boyfriends family that weekend or else they would. I was put under pressure by my parents to tell his parents. The monday at the end of the weekend we told my boyfriends parents his father took it okay too but his mom got a bit made, I fainted that Monday night do to all the stress and pressure my parents had put on me. Our parents set a meeting for us all to sit down and talk about what was going to happen.
I will never forget the day our opion was taken away from us. The day of the meeting came and we were scared. I couldn't get a job and my boyfriend was looking for one. My parents had to move to America a month later and I had to go with them do to some papers from my dad's office. So, if I had to stay in the same country as my fiance I had to get a job but I couldn't because I was pregnante. My boyfriends mother couldn't take me in at the time and his father was never home. Our parents made the choice that having an abortion was the best and that was that. We could say our opion but it didn't count because non of us had a job. So, we were told the baby was going to be taken away anyway from the goverenment. Our opion didn't count even though we were 18 years old and in Europe that makes us adults.
The week after that I went to the doctor with my mom to get an altro-sound of the baby. I was 4 months and 2 weeks at that time. I was asked again by the doctor if I wanted to do an abortion and I said "no, but no one will take me in or help" my mother told the doctor that "its best if we do an abortion". Even though the doctor didn't know what to say I could see she felt sorry for me and wish she could help me. My abortion was set a week after on the 9th of July 2010. When arriving on the day was one of the worst days of our life. I was 4months and 3 weeks into my pregnacy when I got my abortion. After my abortion I couldn't get myself together. I would cry everyday and all the time. And 4 days after my abortion I had to move to Denmark with my parents, my boyfriend and I were still together. My parents then moved to America and I got a job back in The Netherlands and now I live with my mother in-law and my fiance.
I still blame myself for my parents getting me to do an abortion and I had no saying in what I would like. In some way I sometimes think it was for the best the abortion was made since we had no money and no place to stay but most of the percentage feels like we could have given this baby love and care and taken care of it has could has we could and we would get the jobs that we need. We had no support or anything.
I wish I had my baby weather if it was a boy or a girl. He she would be 1 years old and 2 months this year. I still have my altro-sound picture of our baby. I miss him/she what ever he/she would have been. I love you

Showing 1-10 of total 207 Comments