Twitter Facebook YouTube

2009 Shows

(Original Air Date: 02/05/09) When a couple gets married, they recite the vows, "To love, honor and cherish for better or worse." But with a 50 percent divorce rate in America, do newlyweds really take these words to heart? Lancine wrote the show because she and her sisters want Dr. Phil to talk some sense into their mother, also named Lancine.  The daughters are concerned because their mother, who is wealthy and owns three homes, left her husband for another man and now lives in a tent! The senior Lancine says she enjoys her life in the portable home more than living in the house and in an unhappy marriage, but her daughters say she's acting out of puppy love and might soon regret her choices. Do the girls have valid concerns, or are they overreacting to their mother's behavior? Then, Matthew had an affair with his employee and lost his job while his wife, Libby, was pregnant. He says he made the biggest mistake of his life, but does he understand the gravity of his behavior? Libby says she was devastated to learn her husband was living a secret life for almost a year. You won't believe what she learned from Matthew’s mistress! Will she forgive her spouse and salvage their relationship? Dr. Phil tells her what she must do for herself and her children. Join the discussion.

Find out what happened on the show.
Comments
Replied By: eppcher on Aug 16, 2012, 11:32PM - In reply to lifeishard10
I know that you posted this several years ago but if you receive my message I would really like to know what happened in your marriage.  I am just starting to go through this process as I have only known about my husband's affair for a little more than one month.  I don't know if I will ever get over the hurt.  I would really like to know if you have managed to stay with your husband and how you feel today!

Replied By: opinon8ed on Jul 1, 2009, 3:32PM
My boyfriend is 13 years younger than me. He had no job, no home and was still getting over a broken back when I met him. He is a long haired, now overweight (because of me - oops), and rides a motorcycle. Sounds bad? Hardly! After two years of me supporting him he now has a wonderful job and totally supports me. He loves me far more than my husband of 20 years (whom I loved but he passed away) ever did -- or at least he shows it far more!

What do my relatives see? (No kids, thankfully) A long-haired guy that they have no clue how much he loves me. Fortunately my relatives respect me enough to keep their opinions to themselves.

Her kids can be concerned but mom is an adult and can make her own choices for right or wrong.

Replied By: bcuzitmatters on Jun 29, 2009, 3:44AM
I see that the original show aired way back in Feb.  I'm wondering how things might have changed since the airing.  I'm new to the website, so is there anywhere on the site to look for show follow-ups?

thx

Replied By: bcuzitmatters on Jun 29, 2009, 3:27AM - In reply to lifeishard10
I am no expert, so take this as just one person's opinion, but , how important is it "why" he did it?  It seems like a deal-breaker for you, and if that's the case, your husband needs to delve into the "why" he did it.  Not that the "why" is going to justify that he betrayed you, it won't.  But it seems important to you, so I think you deserve an answer.

Replied By: boatsmark747 on Jun 26, 2009, 10:42AM
I think you blew this one dr phil, I watched the entire show and not once did I hear anyone ask If mom was happy. The whole emphasis seemed to revolve around future financial security, not for mom but for the three self absorbed narcisistic 30 something daughters. like many people in this generation "they" feel their "entitled" to any material gains the parents accumulate during their lifetime. I say let mom be happy!  regarding the endless comments about "tent boy" millions of americans live in tents every year I'ts called "camping" some of my best memories are of camping.  "the best things in life aren't things."

Replied By: BrianX29 on Jun 24, 2009, 8:50PM
   Whats wrong with living in a tent???? I dont see anything wrong with it. For some people who dont have any money. Living in a tent may not be such a bad deal..........

Replied By: redlove on Jun 24, 2009, 8:01PM
i believe she will not 4 give her husband cuz if he cared 4 her he wouldn't on done what he  has done to end there marriage. she found someone that made her fill loved no matter if it is in a tent!  she has 3 houses if an when she is ready to move I'm sure she will... till them let your mom live her life...

Replied By: nevergiveup222 on Jun 24, 2009, 6:17PM
the fist 10 minutes in to the show i couldnt help but to think this is a strong woman,to give up not only her home,but to walk away from what was her way of life! I can understand her daughters concern,and hearing more of the moms patterns,she certainly could have gone about her seperation in a much more responseable way,and she deffinetly should have done more to look out for her financial future,especially at her age.I still cant help but feel she does seem to be unafraid to go after what she wants,and for her living a life with financial security,and obvious lack of love freedom,and happiness,was far too high a price to pay,for what most of us could not imagine living without,having the comforts of home,money,security, maybe this woman is far from crazy,to have her happiness mean more to her,i know alot of couples who can only wish they had the strength to do as she has done

nevergiveup222

Replied By: jajistenem on Jun 24, 2009, 5:35PM - In reply to tinkrbell1263
I go to s-anon and find it very helpful.  he is going to Sex Addits Anonymous.   This should be recomended always.  A spiritual program is wht this takes.  The negative power on the relationship is unbearable without help.  good luck to everyone in this position.

Jajistenem

Replied By: KathySue on Jun 24, 2009, 3:51PM
Dr. Phil:

First of all, if you really and truly love someone, you wouldn't mind living in a tent trailer or whereever....So if Robin does indeed love you, she would NOT mind living anywhere with you. 
Second, I didn't find it funny that you made fun of people who like living in TRAILERS!
Third, and this is the most important point....IT'S HER LIFE-----NOT HER CHILDRENS!!!!

Showing 1-10 of total 97 Comments