Twitter Facebook YouTube

2009 Shows

(Original Air Date: 01/27/09) From sending sexual text messages to taking a punch to the face for fun, today’s teens are engaging in outrageous trends. First up, 13-year-old Reina made headlines when she racked up 14,528 texts in one month! Her father, Greg, wrote an article about her excessive texting but says she's just being a teenager. What does Dr. Phil think? His observations may surprise you. Then, Gwen and Mike say they’re worried about their 12-year-old daughter, who has sent risqué text messages, otherwise known as sexting, since she first owned a cell phone. When Dr. Phil meets with the preteen backstage, what does she say drives her behavior? Could she be headed down a dangerous path? Plus, 16-year-old J.R. says he allows his friends and family to sock him in the head and then posts the videos on YouTube. His mother, Tammy, says his videos are hilarious, and she supports his dream of training for the reality show The Ultimate Fighter. Dr. Travis Stork, host of the hit show The Doctors, warns about the dangers of J.R.’s hobby. Plus, meet a teen who played the punch-out game with tragic consequences. Join the discussion.

Find out what happened on the show.
Comments
Replied By: bang70 on Jun 17, 2009, 1:01PM

I know things such as texting has been discussed in a legal sense - moreso people in general talking on the phone...in traffic.

Kids have the feeling they need the phones with them at the desk, lest a problem to notify others of problems as well as someone (see: parents) contacting them at the spur of a moment.

The train wreck with a texting engineer is another issue.

Here's how it works:  phones issued to students who are still learning good road habits can only have a voice-only phone.  Does this sound silly?  It won't, once you get hit by someone doing it.

The same for the train engineer - he can call/receive messages from a phone which doesn't have text ability.

In terms of using voice conversations when they drive - age aside - it's easy to find out - via the cell phone company - not only have they been on the phone, but whom they were talking to.

Texting limits?  Call plans can limit the number of messages - no extensions.  (otherwise, as Dr. Phil pointed out, ungodly bills.)

Parents are responsible for this -- and they can't claim, "I can't keep up with all of this new technology -- they're so much smarter than I."

That's a dodge which is piled up like a special type of wagon we used to spread across the fields to empty the barns & chicken houses.

It has nothing to do with "smart" vs. dumb. It's experience. The more you do it, the more experienced you will become and the knowledge level will increase.

A goodly part of our lives are experiental.

Are kids who recently learned to drive dumber? No. They are less experienced.

And how experienced are they to learn to drive & text at the same time?

Parents, I can assure you this -- it can happen to adults -- but moreso kids, if they are in a wreck, you're facing a lot of hurt. And you didn't teach them and give them the keys when you are comfortable with it. I learned how to drive tractors & trucks on farmland..where it was safe -- far enough away from "regular streets".  You couldn't have paid me enough to think I'd sneek to the "real" road.  One exception - if someone would be injured and had to be somewhere - fast.

Do they need experience? Of course.  Take them to empty places- county farmgrounds - present small challenges & build upon those times.

Keys are a privilege, not a right. Even if they are driving to/from work and don't want their friends to see them. Which is better? Peer pressure?.

Back to point:

Parents, you are responsible for the behavior of your kids on the road.  You can't stop them from texting in traffic? Put lmiits on it with the phone company.

One last time:  Parents, I can assure you this -- it can happen to adults -- but moreso kids, if they are in a wreck, you're facing a lot of hurt. Perhaps emotional, physical, but financially.  Remember the college funds you put togher when they were born?  Pucker up.  Kiss them good bye. The same goes for a lot of things you own.  Imagine not planning to take school loans because of your planning for the future?  You better start looking for a "Plan B".

I was hit by someone in 1995. She ran a red light.  She was so fast it caused my Audi to spin around twice -- and this is downtown.  She didn't have her seatbelt on and responded to questions, "I couldn't see anything. I was thrown on the floor." She only had a sprained wrist -- had I not been driving the Audi (15 years old, < 100,000 miles. Just gas, old, and fan belts. The perfect car) or been hit on the driver's-side, I would have been toast.

I was strapped in, and hit over the front passenger wheel.  If I were to be in a (serious) accident and I'm not strapped in, my wife would know it's staged.

Concussions aren't what hurt. There's what's known as PCI: "Post-  concussive Syndrome" (think: "shaken baby syndrome"). I have head pain every waking moment (and including when it will wake me up, as do the tinnitus in both ears... or prevent me from sleeping.    People ask me how my headacheS are. There has been one...fourteens years.  I'm a regular patient at the Diamond Headache Clinic in Chicago - the best facility in the world..  I can't drive myself home (a 3 hour drive), because of the meds they give me.  This means my wife & I have to take time off of work. to drive/return.

Do you think I enjoy trying to work in places where I have to take severals days off at a moment's notice because I need to ride out the increase in pain?  I'm able to stay on work with an average of 2 1/2 to 3 months.

Oh. I forgot one more big big thing):  what the victims receive in lawsuits have one interesting benefit:

It's tax-free.

Sure, we had to hire an attorney and they get 1/3 of it, but ...

Parents: do you understand why your kids are dangerous?

Not matter how responsible you think your kids are, they don't understand the ramifications of their activities.

One last thing:  If you think you're in the clear because you don't receive notification of a lawsuit, you're sorely mistaken.  Depending upon the state, you have two years before you have to file it.  Think about how you will feel like when you receive notification with one week left in the two year limit for filing.

SURPRISE!

Replied By: afraid on Jun 17, 2009, 10:40AM - In reply to nonnaof2
we still get to watch the re-runs here, i would think that Dr Phil is probley on vacation this being june and all, or there working on a new season to air soon, maybe a mod could answer your question better than me, but you may want to check your local tv stations to see why you cant get the show now.

Replied By: nonnaof2 on Jun 17, 2009, 8:01AM
Actually, I was just trying to find out what happened to Dr. Phil. I live in New England and I no longer see it on any station, any time.  Is it off because it is all reruns?  What isn't in the summer. Can anyone help.

Replied By: getrealtime on Jun 17, 2009, 7:43AM - In reply to shicotachance
How many minutes are there in  a day???  sure sound like a regular kid to me lol...more like a key board that walks. Its a shame when parents don't ask how does this help my child and how does it effect my child. A thousand text a day no child can truly give their all in one event thats taking place in their lifes. whats the long term out come of this action??

Replied By: afraid on Jun 17, 2009, 5:17AM
and i do beleive the carriers have indeed taken full advantage of the tech placed in the hands of all children to the point of placing a parent in bankruptcy court! dont you think that over 14k on a damn phone bill is just a bit too damn much, i dont care how it was ran to that amount! texing is a over priced opption that has targeted children whith the sole-purpose of owning a peice of you!, deciption in american business has become fat as a damn pig. but as i know to be true all pigs do indeed get slaughtered and eaten at the bbq's we americans love so much, isnt it time for parents to take back there controll over there children? i think so. as for that punching these kids are doing for a moment of web fame, well in Georgia that will get you a hell of a lot more than just web site fame, we call that crap demostic violance and our police have to make a case when its spotted, thats the Law here and i feel if we are a nation as 1 then all laws need to be the same in all states in america, seems this would stop all the damn confucion of what is this law what is that law, and ohhh that is not against the law where i live, hahaha laws have bacame a damn joke in this country easpecialy when we have lawyers finding loop holes in a good law on a daily basis, funny thing tho, i do think if ALL lawyers just knew where that loop is leading that lawyer he him/her-self would stitch up a damn loop hole to keep any one from passing through it ever again! yes those loop holes make ALL laws just a damn joke on all scocity, fix that crap jail the lawyers and watch this country do a 360, for the better of ALL.

Replied By: marianparoo on Jun 15, 2009, 1:45AM - In reply to shicotachance
Does that number include single messages that are sent like to her whole class at once? Like 30 kids at the same time.

Or do all those messages go out one by one.

I barely use  the 100 messages a month that are in my package!

Replied By: shicotachance on Jun 14, 2009, 3:48PM
My 13 year old daughter well she will be 13 on the 19th reached 28,000 text messages last month. And its not all she does. She still has time to clean her room and do other chores and go outside a swim and play like regular 13 year olds.

Replied By: marianparoo on Jun 13, 2009, 7:56AM
...a day!!!!

Let's say at 1 minute a message ---> 8 hours a day texting?!

Replied By: trip7744 on Feb 8, 2009, 10:59AM - In reply to kimbers14
Totally agree!!

Replied By: trip7744 on Feb 8, 2009, 10:58AM - In reply to angela117
I totally agree with you!!

Showing 11-20 of total 100 Comments