2014 Shows

Toni says her daughter, Kristine, is battling an alcohol addiction and has resorted to drinking hand sanitizer as a cheap way to get her fix. She says her daughter drinks nearly a gallon and a half of hand sanitizer a week and believes it’s only a matter of time before Kristine dies. Toni, along with Kristine’s sisters, Dawn and April, say they’re concerned for Kristine’s 8-year-old daughter, who has become Kristine’s caretaker and is witnessing her downfall. The siblings also say their mother enables Kristine, which is preventing her from getting her act together. Kristine says her family is dysfunctional, and they’re the reason she can’t stay sober. Dr. Phil has words of warning for Kristine. After three failed stints in rehab, will she agree to try again -- or risk losing her daughter forever? (OAD: 11-24-14)

Find out what happened on the show.
Comments
Replied By: loyalalways on Dec 31, 2014, 5:46PM - In reply to noelle62386
You are SO right!!! Some people are just too stubborn to believe actual experts who say that addicts are very ill people. I married into a family that is full of alcoholics. It runs in the family which, right there, tells me that it's more than a choice.

You should be VERY proud of  yourself for what you've accomplished. Don't let anyone try to bring you down. They're just not worth the time it takes to get upset about them. YOU know that you didn't choose to be an addict, but, you DID choose to fight it and get clean. For that you deserve a LOT of credit. Keep up the good work!!! I wish you nothing, but the best!!!!

Replied By: noelle62386 on Dec 30, 2014, 3:39AM - In reply to alwaysaskeptic

Where do I start……? It would appear ou know NOTHING about alcoholics, addicts, alcoholism, or addiction (of any kind).

I am a recovered alcoholic and a recovered drug addict (a bit redundant, I know, but I just want to cover all my bases), coming up on 30 years C&S.........……….:

1 – I was NEVER a crybaby;

2 – I’d match my ‘strength of character’ against yours any day of the week………..and come out on top;

3 – I’ve NEVER whined or cried about my lot in life; I have had, and still have a great life;

4 – I’ve NEVER said, or even thought that the world is/was picking on me and me alone;

5 – I am not now, nor have I ever been, delusional (I’m not sure the same could be said about you, judging by your comment);

6 – I’ve NEVER thought I was owed some fairytale life; in fact, my life was always really good;

7 – I NEVER lied or stole to get my DOC;

8 – I had a very good job…..I’m retired now, after 20+ years; and

9 -- self- respect? I’ve always had that; probably more than you; you just seem to come off bitter, arrogant, pompous, and just a tad bit  self-righteous.

Replied By: mommatoad on Dec 29, 2014, 11:39PM
I realize much of what's on this show is abreviated for content - was there a good reason the 8-yr-old's father was not considered for having custodyof his child after he voiced his desire? The dynamics of this family is broken, cearly the priority rest more on correcting/ handling the sister/daughter's drinking rather than on the child's potential well being . This came out loud and clear when it was revealed how the child had been told her MOTHER had died, given the reality of this posibility it was a cruel, thoughtless - heck, worse than thoughtless out right heartless  act on their part to neglect telling the child her moher was still very much alive. What on earth led them to think this was not a vital message to a young girl - at this age a child's ability to rationalize and comprehend motives is being formed, I dread to think of what sort of validation this child's developing regarding trust and faith in not just what her family says but anyone with authority. If this is not adressed correcly, if prevention restricting harm does not become a priorty, we're witnessing a new candidate being formed for a future Dr. Phil show and don't be surprised if drinking and self medicating is not the theme.

Replied By: loyalalways on Dec 29, 2014, 10:32PM - In reply to clasmus
Good job!! You beat a very difficult illness. You should be very proud of yourself!! You may find some days a bit harder than others, but, just keep reminding yourself that each day will get better and it will pass. I, too, quit smoking. I just kept reminding myself about the things that I didn't like about it. Keep thinking that you've come this far and that you CAN do it. That's what I did when I quit smoking. That was back in 1990 and I haven't looked back since. I wish you nothing but the best!! Don't let anyone try to discourage you!! :-)

Replied By: loyalalways on Dec 29, 2014, 9:25PM - In reply to fenwaypark9
These people are very sick, so they'll drink anything that has alcohol in it. It's very sad actually because they really don't want to be that way. They have an illness. Unfortunately,  because of what this illlness makes them do, people don't understand that and give them a hard time and belittle them. IMO, that just makes them worse. Like I said before, our countries need more GOOD rehab centres that should be part of the medical system and covered under insurance, just like other illnesses.

Replied By: loyalalways on Dec 29, 2014, 9:19PM - In reply to nddrphilfan68
Thank you for posting that you'll be there for this woman. She needs a friend like you. I don't know her, but I've known alcoholics. My father-in-law was an alcoholic. My husband's family was loaded with them and my husband was a binge drinker. When are people going to stop belittling someone for being an alcoholic or drug addict. It's an ILLNESS!! Do they belittle someone with cancer or diabettes or any other disease?

These people need help, not ridicule. Addicts don't WANT to live like this. Do you tell someone who has another chronic illess that they're a lousy mother or father because they can't care for their kids because they're too sick or in too much pain? Do you tell them that you're sick and tired of them being sick and in pain???

In whatever country we live, we need more GOOD rehab places that people can afford. They need help with their self-esteem as well as their drinking. They know what they're doing is wrong, but they CAN'T stop on their own. Mental illness and addictions are SO misunderstood. We need to  educate people and encourage people to talk about it more. We also need to find solutions, so that these people can get help.

Her child deserves for her mother to get better. She doesn't deserve to see her mother drunk while everyone is yelling at her like she's doing it deliberately to annoy everyone. That sends a bad message to the child. NO ADDICT WANTS TO BE AN ADDICT!

Replied By: duckydes on Dec 29, 2014, 6:33PM - In reply to softness52
I must admit that I've never heard of drinking hand sanitizer, but I'm sure there are lot of things they know about that I don't.

Replied By: duckydes on Dec 29, 2014, 6:28PM - In reply to cwuebker
First talk to a lawyer about getting guardianship, then go to court about t.  People can't just swoop in and take a child when they don'rt hvw custody.

Replied By: duckydes on Dec 29, 2014, 6:20PM - In reply to getapuppy
good poinr; orders need to be followed

Replied By: nddrphilfan68 on Dec 29, 2014, 5:09PM
I am friends with Kristine and I just pray with Dr Phils team she gets the help she needs...I hate to see a friend die....I also pray she gets help not only for herself but for her daughter and family....alcoholism is a horrible desease..

KRISTINE I am in your corner as a friend hon and if you need anything I left my number on ur FB wall..:) Call me if you need anything ..even if its just an ear to talk with...IM THINKING OF YOU always and your family as well..:) as your family if you guys need anything let me know....PLEASE KEEP ME POSTED ON her recovery..ok?

Love ya..

Jennelle

Showing 1-10 of total 85 Comments