2014 Shows

David and Lori say they are fed up with their 26-year-old son, Christopher, who they say was once a model child but is now lazy, unmotivated and still living at home on their dime. The parents say Christopher is a total slob who can’t hold a steady job, drinks and smokes pot and doesn’t even take the proper steps to manage his diabetes. Christopher says he gets annoyed at his parents constantly telling him what to do and would like to be living on his own, but his part-time, minimum-wage job doesn’t cut it. So, why isn’t he looking for additional work? Dr. Phil delivers a dose of reality -- especially to Christopher’s parents, who admit they make life quite comfortable for their son. Are they helping him or contributing to his failure to launch? And, how can Christopher get his life back on track? (OAD: 10-17-14)

Find out what happened on the show.
Comments
Replied By: cherinyberg on Jul 28, 2015, 7:44PM
I am just watching this show about a 26 year old still living at home and it makes me think about my situation with my children. My husband and I actually moved and left our house to 3 of my grown kids. they were all over 19 and should have been on their own. They still lived at home and the boys room looked like Chris'. He never cleaned or showered either. I alway threw stuff out when I gave up and cleaned the room. but now my sons girlfriends complained that we left them with nothing. They had everything they needed, 2 cars, a washer and dryer, a fridge, a freezer, stove, pots and pans, towels, dinningroom furniture, and so much more. But acording to my sons girlfriend we don't care about our kids.

Replied By: tcondro on Jan 2, 2015, 1:43PM - In reply to upsydasy
I did not say type 2 is nothing and I did not say it is always brought on by poor lifestyle choices or that it is always controlled by diet and excercise, what I did say is that type 1 is never brought on by poor lifestyle choice and never controlled by diet and excerise, nor is it ever controlled by medication.  It ALWAYS requires daily insulin injections, always requires constant monitoring, generally begins in childhood and always continues for the rest of your life.  

If you manage your type 2 well enough with medication, diet and excercise, you may never get to the point where you need insulin injections or experience any of the side effects that diabetes can cause.  Type 2 is not nothing but it is not the same as type 1.  With type 2 diabetes if you are responsible there is no reason you can't live a completely normal life.  With type 1 you can as well but not without injections and very careful attention to your activity and your food intake.  Even with the most extreme diligence you are still going to experience the occasional extreme low or high and eventualy experience some of the more extreme consequences of diabetes.

Replied By: abugslife on Jan 1, 2015, 9:15PM
I also think the Diabetes is secondary.  Here you have a super smart kid who is an introvert.  He might simply need someone to help him find the right job.  I'd bet that he just is not finding anything that holds his interest because he doesn't know where to look.  I know there are resources out there, but kids often don't know where to look, and if he has interests other than traditional ones, he really has no idea where to look.  It took me FOREVER to figure out how to make a living in this world.  And I was in SO many ways, just like him.  

I forget who wrote a book about adjusting to college life, but he was a blogger who turned his work into a book.  In the book, he said there are three groups you have to be a part of to be happy at college, then he wrote a book about how this same principle works in life after college. I have forgotten the college groups, but the real life groups are 1. Your neighbors, 2, Your co-workers, and 3.  Your avocation friends/church/hobby/fishing buddies/whatever.    I have found this little formula pretty profound in my life.  Whenever one of the groups is missing, I feel empty.

Kids lose this balance of the three groups, and they start losing their way.  It is not always caused by much more than that.  Especially if they are shy or if they are introverts by nature.  

Replied By: upsydasy on Jan 1, 2015, 9:45AM - In reply to tcondro
Type 2 diabetes is NOT solely brought on by a poor lifestyle.  I have been active and thin all of my life.  My disease CANNOT be controlled solely by eating less.  I am on medication, which I will have to take twice a day for the rest of my life.  You make assumptions that are so erroneous, I can’t even believe it.  I’m adopted and have no idea what genes I could have inherited, but you can rest assured that someone in my birth family also suffered from diabetes.  Untreated and un-medicated, type 2 diabetes can among other complications, produce:

• Heart and blood vessel disease, (I have high blood pressure)
  • Nerve damage (neuropathy), (have that too and it is EXTREMELY PAINFUL)
  • Kidney damage (nephropathy)
  • Eye damage
  • Hearing impairment (got that too)
  • Skin conditions (prone to infections)
  • Alzheimer's disease
Stop saying that type 2 diabetes is nothing.  It only shows your ignorance about the disease in general, including type 1.  I can NEVER eat or drink what I want.  If I intend to remain healthy and avoid developing further complications, I must count calories and exchanges every single day.  Again, you have NO IDEA what you're talking about.

Replied By: daniellekathle on Jan 1, 2015, 9:07AM

This content requires the Adobe Flash Player and a browser with JavaScript enabled. Please install the latest version of the Adobe Flash Player.

Get Adobe Flash Player

Dr Phil Can you help? After watching this show, I am convinced that I am parenting out of fear. We have given him chance after chance, and honestly we are at our wits end. The only huge arguments my husband and I have ever had is about this situation. We don't have the income to support him, and frankly, we don't want to. His sisters are functioning adults, working, mothers, and productive members of society. The older my son gets, the more he reminds me of his father. We need your help, please! I am so afraid that if we kick him out he will end up on the street, and that if we don't, my husband and I will never know peace.

Thanks for listening,

Danielle

Replied By: pm97303 on Dec 31, 2014, 8:09PM
It was great and I'd like to share it on Facebook and with others.  Not about the young man int he show - just on the football players.

Replied By: duckydes on Dec 31, 2014, 6:14PM - In reply to stephburdett
That's great that she is behaving more responibly.

Replied By: ggrammy2 on Dec 31, 2014, 6:01PM
Dear Dr. Phil,

I'm not sure all the latest information on FSU's QB Jameis Winston was available when your show was aired.  I would like to say that Jameis was cleared of all the allegations brought up against him.  He admits to consensual sex but NOT rape.  The State Attorney, who definitely is not a fan of football or FSU, could not find reason to bring any charges.  A retired Florida Supreme Court justice, Major Harding - with no ties to FSU, also cleared him in his student code-of-conduct hearing.  Unfortuately, Jameis' name many never be cleared by the media or others who seem to want him to be guilty of sexual assault..

As for the other immature actions on his part, Jameis was suspended from one of the biggest game this season.  So, where's the entitlement?

I don't need a reply, just wanted you to know that I felt like you didn't have all of the latest information on this particular situation.

Thank you for the good shows you have been airing.

Replied By: jangel311 on Dec 31, 2014, 5:47PM
Wow i'm not much older then christopher and I guess my parents let me stay longer however if it was passed 18 I was either helping with the cost of food doing chores and abiding by there rules or I would not be able to stay , I guess that is what my dad would call tough love and I could leatn that my parents are not push overs

Replied By: towtruckted on Dec 31, 2014, 5:05PM
there is no accountability in 2006 adams friendship highschool ( wisconsin )coaches bailed out a student from jail to play basketball not once but 3 times

Showing 1-10 of total 130 Comments