2014 Shows

Norma, a 70-year-old widow, says she can’t wait to move to Ghana to be with her fiancé, “Richard,” whom she met online two years ago but has never seen in person, despite sending him her entire life savings of more than $300,000 – as well as three cars. Norma’s daughter, Tammy, believes her mother is being scammed by a catfish. Dr. Phil tracks down the real man behind the images of “Richard” -- is this a scam? Plus, get an update on two past guests: Sebrina, who learned she had been victimized in a catfish scam, and Anna, who confronted her husband, Pablo, about his infidelities. How are they now? (OAD: 10-1-14)

Find out what happened on the show.
Comments
Replied By: strine on Aug 18, 2015, 11:40PM - In reply to tammy1969
She wanted an exciting life in an exotic country to brag about with her friends, a new child to raise, a younger man and a comfortable lifestyle. 

She wanted something more than love and that is why these people keep getting away with it. They prey on people's greed, need for someone attractive and younger than them to show off, and need to have a fantasy exciting life on easy street. There's no such thing and until people realise it they will get scammed too.

Replied By: lasueka on Feb 5, 2015, 11:13AM
I have a great deal of information and contacts regarding a Romance Sammer(s) out of Ghana.

I am seeking help to track them down.

Replied By: tammy1969 on Jan 22, 2015, 7:56PM
I felt bad for this lady................all she wanted was to be loved and BOY, did she sure pay the price!

Replied By: alwaysaskeptic on Dec 26, 2014, 2:17PM - In reply to frostyblues
for the expense of an international mix of law enforcement resources to trace these cars Norma sent overseas of her own free will? It won't be Norma, she's broke! Let's not throw good money after bad by now breaking the taxpayers.

Replied By: mngemini on Dec 26, 2014, 12:33PM
OMG! I'm so sorry this happened to her. My son-in-law is from Africa and he said that in either Ghana or Nigeria (he was told) in an Internet Cafe there is a huge room in back with a huge amount of computers and they are manned by guys who do nothing all day but scam women. He hasn't witnessed this first hand. I get what Dr Phil told her about her daughter being there for her and who really loves her. But family love is not the same and cannot replace having a male (be he husband, boyfriend, etc) in your life. I haven't been scammed, but have been in a similar husband versus family situation as a senior citizen. At our age ones chances for love are greatly reduced and I know exacly where she is coming from!! You feel as if this is your last chance at happiness!

Replied By: nhsfreeman15 on Dec 24, 2014, 2:59PM - In reply to anangelin
I agree more than likely it was all of the husbands earnings.

Replied By: alwaysaskeptic on Dec 24, 2014, 2:36PM
Scams from Nigeria, Ghana, India and elsewhere have been more than well publicized for over a decade. Anybody who is not aware of them has been living under a rock. Quit wasting your time and energy whining about these "poor victims" needing education. Taxpayers foot a big enough bill as it is. Shine your light where it belongs, on these silly people who give all they have to live a fantasy.

Replied By: alwaysaskeptic on Dec 24, 2014, 2:31PM
Re-running this episode for the second or third time hasn't made Norma any smarter! I have no sympathy for her, she was extremely defiant and refused to admit to the hundreds of red flags. She is still convinced her catfish is madly in love with her, even after he has bilked her of every cent she had.

Replied By: frostyblues on Dec 23, 2014, 11:46PM
Seems like someone could investigate this and maybe track down this person or persons by locating the cars.

Replied By: sfrfmn on Dec 23, 2014, 10:41PM - In reply to anangelin
I think you are being a bit harsh. You say she has not learned much at 70; at 70, many people do not understand the dangers of the net. More than anything, she was lonely. She had lost her husband not long before & was living in a retirement community.

The elderly often feel discarded. They will cling to anyone who seems to recognize them as living, feeling human beings. Many intro inter net courses are filled with seniors; but the courses should teach the dark side as well as the benefits

Sherry

Showing 1-10 of total 177 Comments