Twitter Facebook YouTube

2014 Shows

Two years ago, Bailey says she woke up to a gun pressed to her head during a terrifying home invasion and kidnapping. She says she and her roommate, John, were tied up, blindfolded and driven into the desert, where their abductors brutally beat and tortured John -- and then left them stranded in the middle of the night. Bailey says she was able to break free and run for help. Now, Bailey says she’s struggling to recover from the horrific event, and her life has fallen apart. How can she heal from such a traumatic experience? Then, in the wake of the Ariel Castro kidnappings, police in Cleveland dug further into other missing girl cold cases in the area, and on October 10, 2013, found the skeletal remains of 18-year-old Christina Adkins, who disappeared in 1995. Christina’s boyfriend at the time and father of her unborn baby, Jose, was the prime suspect for nearly two decades, until another man, Elias Acevedo, pleaded guilty to her murder, among other crimes. Dr. Phil is joined by Jose and his family, to share how the cloud of suspicion has affected his life. Why do they say Adkins’ family is still accusing Jose? Dr. Phil brings both sides together in search of answers. Can they foster a peace and find closure? This program contains mature subject matter. Viewer discretion advised.

Find out what happened on the show.
Comments
Replied By: strine on Sep 21, 2014, 11:37PM
I'm sorry you and your room mate went through all of that. I'm sorry you aso didn't get to finish telling people at home about how you retrieved the knife and were allowed to live (some people in the comment section here can't read between lines or look at things for themselves).

For the people accusing her of not being sympathetic enough or overly dramatic, or even the one person who accuses her of being part of the crime, get real. If she was a part of it, she would not have gone to get help, she would have been protecting herself and you can bet the other people who she has testified against would have dobbed her in also. They are facing a lot of time in jail and if she was a part of it too they wouldn't let her get off with putting them in the frame.

Why do people need to see other people crying hysterically to empathise with someone? Have people watched too many movies and numbed themselves to the fact that everyone is different? I really don't care why you think like you do, but you need to get out and meet some real people. Maybe volunteer at a battered women's shelter.

Replied By: mhs1969 on Jul 20, 2014, 4:02PM - In reply to copelia
Now that they found the real killer, I hope your family and Christina's can show a united front when the killer goes to court. That's what counts now. God bless you all. 

Replied By: faninmn on Jul 18, 2014, 10:56PM
I understand that people want to be "entertained" by the show and want to feel connected to someone who went through a traumatic event.

But tthose who are complaining about the woman not being "sympathetic" enough for them to actually care about her as a victim well, make me cringe.

She had EXACTLY the affect of someone who is still thoroughly in the disassociative state, where you HAVE to separate yourself from it in order to mentally and emotionally survive; and them saying she made for a poor guest because you don't feel for her? Does not say anything about her "acting".  If she was acting, she would have feigned emotion for a result.  She BECAUSE she was being genuine in how she told the story,  is being castitated as worthless as a sympathetic guest.

Maybe, look at the fac her actions and manner proved MORE that she is still fighting to handle the mental trauma of the event; and have a heart for a woman, rather than claiming to not be enterained enough by someone who was kidnapped, expected to die and listened to a person be partially castrated.  And then claim she was not  acting emotional enough.  If you only want Dr Phil to have guests who entertain you with their trauma?   

Sorry, but that is cruel beyond belief.  Read up on the affect of people who are survivors in the denial/disassociative state and THEN complain about her not being a "good enough" guest.  She was EXACTLY what a person who survived that and was fighting PTSD would be.

Replied By: upsydasy on Jul 18, 2014, 6:14AM - In reply to lauratarnowski
It was extremely ill-advised and rather cruel to offer up different scenarios still implicating Jose in the murder of his girlfriend 18 years ago without a shred of proof whatsoever.  They caught the guy, he confessed, he led them to the body - END of story!  Why in the world wouldn’t he name an accomplice at the time of his confession, if he existed, just to take some of the heat off of himself?  I mean c'mon gimme a break is right!  That FBI guy was just showing off and lost all credibility as far as I'm concerned.  And what's up with that neighborhood anyway...

Replied By: khaleesivirge on Jul 17, 2014, 6:39PM - In reply to norabx
My sentiments EXACTLY.

Replied By: khaleesivirge on Jul 17, 2014, 6:37PM - In reply to fotoman1133406
Baby it gets better. Find your faith. Find strength in any and everything that you can. Message me and I will talk to you if you ever need a friend to talk to. I can relate to your every word here. Kesha Virge on FB of Deland Florida. Find me.

Replied By: thopkins37 on Jul 17, 2014, 5:34PM
14 years ago I had a home invasion happen to me. My kids where babies at the time and I had a gun held to my head well the robbers ran sacked my home. I have had a hard time adjusting to life afterwards. I was afaird to go out after dark,always had the doors and windows locked no matter if it was hot in the house. I am finally getting back on track some what. My boys don't remember anything and I'm very thankful for tha

Replied By: sadiegirl1987 on Jul 17, 2014, 4:56PM - In reply to indybeckih
Wanting to tell the story and telling the story are two different things.  Bailey's appearance and attitude were so 'flat' that it was hard to draw sympathy for her.  She did not make a good guest.  I do however, hope she gets the help she needs because she's stuffing everything down.  Odd one there. 

Replied By: fotoman1133406 on Jul 17, 2014, 4:42PM
Guys,

I can SOOOOOOOO identify with Bailey on the depression P T S D.

My "life" events.... 

Aug '03... Dad passes away

Fall '04... Lil Bit(my cat) killed

Hurricane Season '04(Fl.)... 4 hurricanes(CHARLEY, FRANCIS, IVAN and JEANNE)

Hurricane Season '05(Fl.)... 2 hurricanes(KATRINA and WILMA)

Spring '05... Horsey(my cat) put down

Apr '06... Lois(my 2nd wife) passes away

Jul '06/Mar '10... Me(Russ) suicide attempts

Jul '06/Jan '11... Me(loss job(s)

Oct '06... loss of home

Oct '09... Sassy(my cat) killed

Feb '10... Fabianne(my 3rd wife) passes away

Dec '10... Me(cancer diagnosis)

Feb '11... Mayme Ruth(Mom-in-Law... Lois's Mom) passes away

Dec '13... Anna May(my Mom) passes away

With ALL this; my life(what life)... is a wreck.........................................

Replied By: virginiad on Jul 17, 2014, 3:37PM - In reply to fenwaypark9
i thi k jose was treated unfairly.expert cliff implied that jose might still be involved. i thought someone was innocent until proven  guilty not the other way. jose deserves better treatment than he receive. the step sister who sais christie told her jose abused her was only 12 years at the time of the murder. doesnt seem likely that christie would confide in someone so young

Showing 1-10 of total 17 Comments