Twitter Facebook YouTube

2009 Shows

Social networking Web sites like Facebook and MySpace are great for meeting people, but they’re also the source of much controversy. Do the dangers of these sites outweigh their benefits? Dr. Phil takes a look at the latest issues to crop up on the digital frontier. He begins with 17-year-old Ashley, who says her mother, Janet, obsessively controls her Facebook account and also harasses her friends online. Janet says she’s witnessed disturbing things on these Web sites, and she’s not about to let Ashley get into trouble. In trying to keep her daughter safe, has the concerned mom gone too far, or not far enough? Dr. Phil’s opinion might surprise you. Then, Facebook doesn’t allow pictures of bare bosoms to grace its pages – but what if the breast that’s bared belongs to a nursing mom? See the picture that caused a firestorm of controversy, and judge for yourself whether it’s obscene. Plus, meet a woman who spent 11 months in an intimate Facebook relationship with someone she thought was actor Matthew Perry from the show Friends. When she found out the true identity of her digital paramour, you won’t believe what happened next. Before you grant your next online friend request, you’ll want to check out this show!

Find out what happened on the show.
Comments
Replied By: siffer on Oct 22, 2009, 12:09AM
Offcourse you are not going to show off your breast for the world to see, but you still know what is going on even if you use a blenket, and often the child is not still and therefore the breast can come a little visible.
And you can't compare peeing (not sure of the spelling) and vometin with feeding a little baby - come on!!
The baby needs food like the rest of us and that should'nt be a crime or something that makes people sick or think of something sexual.
If it's ok in Denmark - a modern, happy (see Oprah) country, it should and can also be okay, natural and beutyfull in USA.

Replied By: siffer on Oct 7, 2009, 4:39AM - In reply to jaylaa
I see your point with your son, but that is really no excuse for women to hide them selfs while they breastfeed.
If your son (or other teens) were taught that it's a natural thing, maybe they would'nt think of it like something sexual.
I'm from DK and no one I know - men or women, would even think of complaing about a picture of a baby eating.
People over here think it's a natural, beutyfull thing.
And come on - your son can in 2 sec. find a better/sexier picture to look at, then a baby eating!!

Over here we can do it wherever we want with a little blanket, to make it discret and if we choose to put a picture on our FB-Profile, we just get nice comments.

I think it's to bad for your culture to make it something bad...

Replied By: wildliferescue on Jun 12, 2009, 3:47AM - In reply to mthro4
You say that mothers have rights and their wishes need to be respected....
What about RIGHTS of the baby? That is not formula.

When my 1st baby was born I expressed milk and it was given to a premature heroin addicted baby. The Drs said that without my breast milk it would have died and that was 35 years ago.

Replied By: wildliferescue on Jun 12, 2009, 3:36AM - In reply to jaylaa
I can not beleive the parent that is concerned about teenages see babies breastfeeding. If you had raised them correctly they would think nothing of it....... seeing any animal feed its offspring.

I was born in the 1950's and am the eldest of 5 children. My mother breast fed all of us even though "society' said she should bottle feed. She knew what was best for her babies and feed each of us for almost 2 years each. 2 years of Breast feeding is what the World Health Organisation says is a MUST for a healthy babies. I have had two children, my sister in law 2 children, we both fed each of our children for close to 2 years. None of my brothers or "our" sons found breastfeed erotic when they were teens. My daughter had a home birth in NY last year and has nursed her 1st and is nursing her
2nd baby. My son's wife has breastfeed their two sons. His wife wasn't keen to nurse, but after discussions with her husband she was excited to feed their babies.

Many women say that they "can't or couldn't" breastfeed....well humans are the only mammals that for emotional reason (NOT physical) say they can't breastfeed.

When will humans value a good mother????????

Replied By: janetmother on Apr 7, 2009, 7:48AM - In reply to sweethang10123
I dont know who you are but you obviously know me and my family!  I should have told the whole story about why Ashley gave me reasons not to trust her but I didnt want anyone to think badly of her.  Over protecting again I guess!  But I should have told the audience why she gave me reasons to not trust her!  Thank you so much for your support!

Replied By: sweethang10123 on Feb 9, 2009, 9:37AM - In reply to pgapro
I happen to know this women personaly, she is reallyy nice... and the father is in the picture, it wasnt about the dad and ashley, it was about jane and ashley and there problems..

Replied By: annemarienoel on Jan 29, 2009, 6:52AM
The woman who thought she was talking with Mathew Perry was really naive, irresponsible, stupid and immature! How can she possibly think it was really him writing to her? And then she actually gave "him" her street address (she received flowers to her house)? How DUMB can she be? That's very unsafe. I might've done something like that when i was about 14, but at her age, she really should know better and get a life!

Replied By: pgapro on Jan 28, 2009, 10:25PM
Did anyone bother to remind this mother either before, during, or after the show, that she needs to look at the possibility of breaking any laws in doing what she did by impersonating her daughter when sending messages?  The only signal she is showing her daughter is that of a world of distrust.  How sad.  I do understand her wnating to protect her daughter, I also could see how some of the things that happened to her as a child might have pre-empted her actions.  But, from an overall perspetive, I see a woman who has issues of contolling others.  Then again who am I, I teach golf and deal with people on a daily basis.  My learning has come from over 25+ years experience not to mention tons of schooling and psychology courses. 

Here is another question, what the daughters father have to say about this?  Or is he even in the picture?  If he's not then why.  I noticed there was no mention of him whatsoever.  She is on direct course for alienating her daughter, is it possible she did that with all around her?  Again Dr. Phil is the Doctor not me, I am just an observer.

In one of the most famous statements ever..."Can't we all just get along"!  It sure would be nice.

Replied By: leenees on Jan 28, 2009, 7:18PM - In reply to agape2113
I agree with you 100%. This Mom makes me so angry. She should be ashamed of herself. I raised 2 daughters now age 36 & 33 & I would never do that to them.

Replied By: agape2113 on Jan 28, 2009, 4:40PM
This is for Janet.  I got so outraged at the way you eavesdrop on Ashley that when I saw the clip about how bad YOU feel that you can't have a close relationship with your daughter... grrr!  I just had to write!  My gosh!  No WONDER Ashley isn't close to you!  How dare YOU invade her privacy like that.  You should instead, be thankful that she is a good kid.  Not so long ago, when my teen was growing up, there wasn't anything like Face Book or My Space.  But there were still instant messaging options, and my 14 year old took full advantage of it.  I had to take the modem out of her computer...   But hey... there's a big age difference here... Ashley is almost an adult, according to the law.  You are going to PUSH her away as you have been... so much faster by your actions.  You should be very glad that you raised her good and she's not pregnant or had a baby by now... LAY OFF HER, MOM!

Agape2113

Showing 1-10 of total 122 Comments