Twitter Facebook YouTube

2009 Shows

Dr. Phil takes an in-depth look at unbelievable news stories that have captivated millions. Adam Herrman, 21, vanished from his Kansas home 10 years ago, but his adoptive parents, Doug and Valerie, only reported him missing last month! Dr. Phil talks to the young man’s biological parents, Gerri and Irvin, who haven’t seen each other in 22 years. What do they think happened to their child? Who’s to blame for the disappearance of Adam Herrman, and is there any chance that the young man is still alive? Nancy Grace, the host of Headline News, weighs in. Then, millions were inspired by the safe landing of USAirways Flight 1549, also dubbed the “Miracle on the Hudson.” Three passengers, Brad, Joshua and Denise, say they’re thankful to be alive, but they’re still haunted by memories of that fateful day. How can they deal with the psychological affects of the plane crash and move on with their lives? Join the discussion.

Find out what happened on the show.
Comments
Replied By: kerrieo on May 20, 2009, 1:23AM
In Australia we have mandatory reporting for all adults witnessing child abuse or neglect and it is a criminal offense for an adult, particularly one in the caring professions (teachers, ministers, health workers, etc) not to.  Where was the agency who placed this little boy? It's unbelievable that the 'aunt' abandoned him... as well as those outsiders employed to help.

I know that social agencies are overworked and underpaid-they are also in this country-but to have relatives walk away from a boy chained in adarkened bathroom is despicable. If a dog was left like this the animal welfare agencies would be in like a shot -  and rightly so.

As for the biological 'oarents', the mother in particular has no moral standing. To have eight children removed is incredible.

I can only hope God has His hands on that abandoned boy.

Replied By: valerielynn29 on Mar 31, 2009, 4:55PM
Dr. Phil,

I just watched the taped episode about the disapearance of Adam Herrman.  Surely, if we can require adults to wear seatbealts, put their children in carseats and require them to obey traffic laws,  we can require ALL adults to be mandated reporters of child abuse.  That child would be safe today if his aunt and uncle would have taken action and it should be criminal if any adult fails to act to protect a defenseless child.  Shouldn't it?

Respectfully,

Valerie L. Brodbeck

P.S.  Sorry I'm so far behind on your show - but they are all recorded - I'll catch up one day!!!

Replied By: saveajs on Feb 1, 2009, 1:24PM
KANSAS....STOP WAREHOUSING OUR CHILDREN PARTS 3, 4, 5 & 6
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KR0wRV0q5_M

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pWznJ9Wr6ck&feature=channel

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=84TWxo3NKZ8&feature=channel

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5JatH6cu35Y&feature=channel

Replied By: saveajs on Feb 1, 2009, 1:24PM
KANSAS....STOP WAREHOUSING OUR CHILDREN PARTS 3, 4, 5 & 6
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KR0wRV0q5_M

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pWznJ9Wr6ck&feature=channel

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=84TWxo3NKZ8&feature=channel

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5JatH6cu35Y&feature=channel

Replied By: nanioffive on Jan 28, 2009, 11:41AM
Too many of our childfren are put into the system  of foster care and there are not enough case workers to follow up effectively on their behalf.  I would first go to the agency who placed him.....They should take full responsibility....Too many times we hear of children being neglected in foster care and always always, the case worker or social worker never reports abuse.  This is one of the fields that when you work with helping people in this country, they are underpaid and overworked....This is so true in most agencies.  Second I would blame the family who took an oath to protect and care for the child....
Having worked in agencie who help  the homeless and battered women...I find that people do not want to "rep[ort" any wrong doings.  They don't want to get involved.   Thirdly, I would blame the school system for not reporting anything about the child.....Anyone who works with children is considered an advocate and it baffles me how people can just sit back and not speak up on known facts from the case worker to the educators. 

There needs to be more incentive to people who work in these agencies...There is no way a person could keep up with 200 or more clients effectively...This is impossible

Replied By: dkbolen on Jan 25, 2009, 9:10PM
It never ceases to dismay me how these CPS failures are never dealt with properly.  I was so disappointed Dr Phil and nobody else during this show even brought this up.  Taxpayer money the abusers collected was brought up but the fact this is CPS fault was never acknowledged.  CPS never even checked on this poor child to see if he was alright.  Clearly he wasn't.  Who knows how many Rilya Wilson's and Adam Herrman's there really are.  Our authorities and elected officials never respond appropriatedly to the overwhelming evidence of this scam agency.

This is educating:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xKvj2Vuzg9w

This 2004 study is an eye opener:
http://pewfostercare.org/press/files/transcript051804.pdf

Replied By: mrscinderella on Jan 24, 2009, 11:23PM
I have just recently adopted 5 kids from my local CPS (all are bio siblings) and they lived with their aunt. When we got the youngest, he was our proof of the living conditions as their aunts house. He moved in at 9 months old and only weighing 12 lbs. He couldnt even roll over let alone hold up his own head!

I was horrified! My 3 year old son accused my 4 year old daughter of molestation, their favorite movies were Chucky, Jason and anything else scary.

They witnessed so much abuse.
Their nightly movie was watching porono.

They were starved and locked in a room (littlerly locked) with 11 other kids in a single wide trailor.

I called CPS on the other 7 kids that were living there. THEY DID NOTHING IT takes more than 1 call.
I'm not saying that this family (on the show)  was not in the wrong, but I am saying, although we urge people to call CPS, CPS needs to investatae! In our case, we never even got a call back.

My oldest kids sister is in the hands of grandma who is living with a druggie and a sex offender. CPS DID NOTHING!

As you can see I'm extremly upset that nothing is being done by CPS. I understand their caseload is over loaded, but so are our beds but we take them! These kids are the ones that are getting hurt and because not evenough calls are being made about one family, nothing is being done.

What if someone in your family was abusing your child and they chose to call CPS rather than come to you and nothing happened.....

I'm sick of hearing they are over worked and have no money! You took the job knowing the work load was tough and there was no money now go do your job!

Replied By: momfrom60s on Jan 24, 2009, 1:25PM
Abuse repeats.  Yes, the aunt should have reported what she observed, but it's likely that this was not that outrageous to her.  She and the adoptive mother were reared by the same parents (I presume) and I suspect that abusive treatment was "normal" in their household.  This does not excuse the behaviour (her failure to report, the mother's abusive treatment - only helps explain how it keeps repeating from one generation to the next.  The biological mother appeared to me to have limited cognitive abilities (borderline IQ?) which helps explain why her children were removed.  I'm glad to know she has learned enough to be able to parent 2 children and that they are doing well - living not far from where I live. 
May all affected by this tragedy learn something that will benefit children in the future. 
Programs like this raise our consciousness.  The point should continue to be "If you observe behavior that seems excessive/abusive - report it!"

Replied By: blue8light on Jan 24, 2009, 11:13AM
Just wanted to say that while it's possible the whole story wasn't told by the biological parents, it is EXTREMELY likely that most is true.  I worked in CPS for 3 years.  YES... the state will excercise their right to remove your other children using what you have done against one child.  YES... the state will deny a father's home or other relatives home based on minor minor things.  If BFA's home was decided to be too small, the child would not have been allowed to go there.  I have no doubt that what the BMO did to her oldest child was egregious and not just a simple black and blue mark.  However, I've seen kids taken for a simple black and blue mark as well.  Unfortunately, there isn't much of a even standard.  For instance, in GA, you are more likely to fair well in a smaller county than a larger one..  From what I've seen in CPS, we all would have been in foster care.  That is how outrageous and ridiculous the system has become.  I'm not exaggerating.  It really has become ridiculous.  The sad thing......the kids who are really being abused or neglected are being completely missed because the system is so bogged down with stupid reports: alot of calls (and I'm not joking) are people who are fighting each other and want to get back at the other person.  Once the state is in your life, YOU DON"T GET RID OF THEM.  It takes an act of God to clear yourself.  I'm not saying I didn't do some really good things while I worked for CPS.  I am just saying that the system isn't even close to good and really needs to be changed.  I also wanted to stick up for the bio. parents on the show.  The only thing I'll say is that BMO was probably given a case plan to complete to get her children back.  Problem is, sometimes even when you complete that case plan you don't get them back.  Final note:  I worked for a supervisor once that made the comment that she had her kids so it wasn't her problem that the client didn't have theirs. 

Replied By: moonglow38 on Jan 24, 2009, 9:33AM
I am posting as someone that knows a few things about this situation...though sadly I don't know what happened to Adam or where he is.  Dr. Phil was right...the bio-mom was lying.  She horribly abused and severely neglected all her children.  She didn't have all eight at once then abused one and they were all taken.  They were taken as she abused them.  I don't know the situation with the bio-dad other then in the papers first he said he willingly gave them up for adoption because, as he said, he and bio-mom had gotten a divorce.  Later he changed his story in the papers saying he fought to keep the children.  At any rate if the bio-mom had been a good mother to start with...none of this would have happened in the first place!  While yes the aunt should have reported the abuse...I have to wonder if it would have done any good.  From the show, we were told CPS did remove Adam several times from this adoptive mom for abuse...then turned right around and put him back!  They are quick to 'save' the children from their abusive bio-parents but not from abusive adopted parents?  Do adoptive parents have more rights then bio-parents?

I am not a big fan of Nancy Graces either but she was right on the money with this one.  Its outrageous to not report abuse.  She said their were no laws for not reporting abuse but at least in Kansas there is...a person can be charged for not reporting abuse.  So why this aunt hasn't been charged I don't know...it may be it happened to long ago. Statue of limitations.  But again...I have to wonder if it would have done any good since the state kept putting Adam back in the home. Still she has to live with this the rest of her life knowing she might have been able to save him.  I hope this message goes out to everyone that if you know a child is being abused please report it!   Save a child and don't be silent about it.  Like they said on the show, you don't have to give your name.

Other children were abused in that adoptive parents home too...not just Adam.   And at least one of those children was removed for good too because of that abuse.  So if the state's logic is..'if one child is abused, for the safety of the others they should be removed too' then all those children in the adoptive mom's home should have been removed.  They weren't though.

Dr. Phil and Nancy are right...the more that is revealed in this story the worse it gets.  I truly suspect Adam is dead.  I have seen people and even the bio parents and the adoptive parents saying he when he ran off maybe he made a new life for himself so they are hoping he is still alive.  This was an 11 year old boy!  How is the world does an 11 year old child go out into the world alone and make a new life?  This isn't an older teenager that might be-able to do this.  The distorted thinking all through this story is just baffling. Plus alot of out right lying.   An 11 year old is still very depended on the adults to take care of them...because they can't take care of themselves.  And to live on the streets and survive at this age?  I don't think so.  I think a lot of wishful thinking is going on.

Again though the most important message in all of this isn't how Dr. Phil or Nancy Grace handled things, or if the bio-parents were lying or not....the message is REPORT it if you know a child is being abused!  Even if you just suspect abuse...report it..you might save a helpless child life.

Showing 1-10 of total 118 Comments