Twitter Facebook YouTube

2014 Shows

Fifty-five-year-old Joy says three months ago, she “heart married” her online boyfriend, “Donny,” over the phone and is looking forward to meeting him in person for the first time -- at their official wedding, later this year. She says Donny told her he’s a millionaire who owns a mansion, with servants, in Alabama -- but he’s currently being kept in Egypt, against his will, by the U.S. Air Force. Joy admits she has sent Donny tens of thousands of dollars, because he claims the military won’t pay for his medical care -- but is that even possible? Dr. Phil enlists the help of a private investigator and other experts to verify Donny’s claims -- is Joy being scammed? Plus, see what happens when a Dr. Phil producer travels to Alabama to search for Donny’s mansion. Then, former guest Sandie returns with an update -- and some words of wisdom for Joy. How has she moved forward since learning she was scammed by a catfish?

Find out what happened on the show.
Comments
Replied By: isaac18 on May 21, 2014, 1:24AM - In reply to khaleesivirge
So white women don't work hard? So tired of these double standards in the country. Glad to know you being African American makes you a harder Worker and more intelligent.

Replied By: isaac18 on May 21, 2014, 1:09AM - In reply to carolemc6259
You are as delusional as she was! These men are idiots and if you can have enough sense to put something this simple together, well your in trouble, big trouble. lets hope for your sake they don't message you.

Replied By: alwaysaskeptic on May 20, 2014, 3:20PM
To all you ladies who have fallen hard for some overseas scammer who is professing his undying love for you. Tell him you'll happily fly to wherever he might be in the world...once your nasty, chronic yeast infection clears up!

Replied By: alwaysaskeptic on May 20, 2014, 3:09PM - In reply to kgolde
All I can remember about this subject is from "Apocalypse Now" (Vietnam era) where the helicopters bringing "Death From Above" were called the "Air Cav" (or cavalry). I don't know to which branch of the military they were attached.

...and Go Habs Go!!!!

Replied By: alwaysaskeptic on May 20, 2014, 2:55PM - In reply to imperatrice
Go Habs Go!

Replied By: alwaysaskeptic on May 20, 2014, 2:49PM
I think it would be a good tactic for these women who are smitten by fake pictures, foreign accents and all the rest of it. After you've chatted a couple of times and before you're convinced you're madly in love with this fake...tell the scammer you're a little short on funds and ask if he could send you a few hundred bucks until you're back on you're feet. Then you'll discover the truth behind this "love of your life", guaranteed.

Replied By: alwaysaskeptic on May 20, 2014, 2:45PM
I've seen the other catfish shows on Dr. Phil ( as well as the series on MTV) and always find it so sad to see people so desperate for love and affection that they will totally ignore what must be blaring warning sirens going off constantly in their heads. These vulnerable people can walk, talk, dress themselves and go to school or work and be "normal", but they are so hungry to be special to somebody else that they throw away all their intelligence and common sense for the alternative fantasy of having a mate.

This current episode gave me a clue in that the woman, while trying on wedding gowns, spun around and happily announced "I'm going to be a bride!" I wondered if that's the goal then, to be a bride, to be chosen, and disregard the obvious reality that there's some scammer out there who is only choosing in what manner he's going to empty your bank account.

Smarten up, ladies, time to ditch the "Prince Charming" fantasy society has been feeding you all your life.

Replied By: lisazon on May 20, 2014, 5:23AM - In reply to mcp1112
Just lookup 'romance scams' on youtube and you'll find women from the UK and elsewhere. You are showing your true (lack of) intelligence by making such a sweeping statement.

Replied By: suzee67 on May 20, 2014, 1:10AM
I have watched many shows on catfishing, and the one thing that shocks me time and time again is the money lost when sending to these scammers. I can't count the number of times that they've tried to reel me in, but the minute money is brought up, I close the door, block the email address and it's done! Not to mention that the grammer is awful, and they all seem to be from the UK and can't get out. (I had alot of those). I can't fathom letting go of even $100 to someone I've never met, let alone close to half a million that I heard one guest sent. It's mind blowing. Again, I've had a few who have really given it their all, telling me everything from they need medical treatment or their daughter is in the hospital with a life-threatening disease and they need money to help with the treatment.. In some cases I've played the naive soul, and let them go on, just to see how far they'll push it. And they will do their best to get a messenger address from you, just to get away from the site. I'll admit I've given it once or twice, but the MINUTE I did, the quest for the money began. I became wise after the first time it happened, so I decided to start telling them that I have investigators looking into their story. They started becoming defensive and said they won't ever bother me again. Funny...and just 5 minutes prior, they had gone on about how much the loved me...lol. By the grace of God, I have been able to keep my head straight and clear and never once have fallen prey to give anyone a cent! If I only had the time, I would start my own side business of catching these "you-know-what's" .

Please ladies - use the common sense we ALL have. The minute they ask you for a dime, time to say "goodbye". Don't let it get to the point where you've lost money, friends and family because of some Joe who has nothing better to do than lie and steal . I'm not saying that there aren't good ones online (I've actually met one), but if they find excuse after excuse of why they can't meet you, yet they love you to the moon and back, cut the line.

Replied By: heartwoman on May 19, 2014, 10:44PM - In reply to drakcots
Haha! I agree! Dr Phil's staff should have noticed this. Unprofessional!

Showing 1-10 of total 132 Comments