Twitter Facebook YouTube

2014 Shows

Chandra and her three siblings say their mother, Pamela’s, hoarding is so out of control that nearly every inch of her 9,000-square-foot home is filled with “junk.” The siblings say that growing up, Pamela would pick through their garbage to save items, which forced them to sneak trash out of the house. They say as they got older, her hoarding became progressively worse, prompting them to stage an intervention in 2012, which escalated to the point that police were called. Pamela says she feels her family unfairly “ganged up” on her and insists she’s not a hoarder -- so, how does she explain the mess? Plus, Pamela’s husband, Richard, moved out of the house two years ago -- he says because of the hoarding, but she says otherwise. Hear why Pamela claims Richard is equally to blame for the family’s problems. Can Dr. Phil help Pamela get rid of her clutter -- and help this family get back on track? (OAD: 5-15-14)

Find out what happened on the show.
Comments
Replied By: lindabthompson on Aug 24, 2014, 8:35PM - In reply to lizawren
how utterly sickening it is to live with a mother who loves her crap and not her children -- it is a very shocking, depressing, almost unbelievable situation -- that most people would find it even hard to believe!! but i lived it -- and until you have lived it, you have no idea how HORRIBLE it is - what a nightmare it is -- so do not judge these people -- that woman loves her CRAP more than her KIDS !!!  how would YOU like that -- if your own mother liked a house full of CRAP more than she loved YOU !!!

Replied By: lindabthompson on Aug 24, 2014, 8:31PM
my mother was a hoarder, and when i cleaned even a little bit - she would fly into a horrible rage, even tho i didn't throw out a thing - i only cleaned the top of a small table next to the couch.  it was like she didn't want the dirt to get thrown out.  she always liked strangers other than me and my older brother phil.  i am the middle of 5 kids, with 3 different fathers.  phil and i had the hated father, unfortunately, and were treated with hate and neglect. it was the was it was. i divorced my entire family of origin almost 30 years ago when my mother and step father continued their abuse toward our wonderful sons - i foolishly thought they would not. after 10 years of us putting up with my mother having 2 2 week + holidays in our various houses here in santa cruz, i foolishly thought she loved our sons and would welcome them, once, in their minneapolis home.  i was 100% wrong, and my siblings did nothing - they did not call me - they did not remove them from the abuse.   my mother's house, a 3 story 7 bedroom house had become a total mess, with rooms jut filled with various junk.  one room had just yarn of various colors -- some had rotted into a colorful pile of mush.  and yes, she was mentally ill.  but, she was my mother,and we put up with her constant vacations in our houses -- out of respect, and cause i kept thinking that if i kept being nice to her perhaps she would eventually love me -- but i guess i was wrong.  my only huge regret is sending our boys back there - into the lions den so to speak.  when my mother in law flew back here with our boys, and they told me all about what had happened, i called my parents, and we had a huge fight on the phone, and the end result was that they would never see our boys again, and i suffered a sort of nervous breakdown at the end of the conversation, after i said many things i had been wanting to say for many years. i am now considered the crazy one in the family -- my mother died, and the house had to be cleaned out due to my step father selling it.  i was the only one who did not show up to help clean it out.  the dumpster was parked in front of the house, and i do not know how many times it had to be emptied and brought back to be refilled.   i am pretty much the opposite of the mother -- i do have a few things i have collected, but i live in a very uncluttered house, which i vacuum and clean every day.   these hoarders are a menace -- plus, the hoard does terrible damage to the actual structure of the house -- in many cases, the house becomes unlivable even with the hoard removed --  and for me, after living with a mentally ill abusive mother who showed love to strangers and not to me, who loved her things and not me, i have lost all sympathy for these hoarders.  i really feel sorry for the offspring and relatives of these hoarders, cause they still want the love they will never get from these sick selfish people who love their crap and not them.

Replied By: justme51 on Aug 24, 2014, 7:07PM
Chose your hoarding over your kids as they are disrespectful.

Replied By: justme51 on Aug 24, 2014, 7:05PM - In reply to lizawren
You hit the nail on the head. There is no love or concern for their Mother. Rolling their eyes means that they are allowed to treat Mom with disrespect. In all honesty these adult children have only hurt their Mother.

Replied By: justme51 on Aug 24, 2014, 7:01PM
I do not understand why adult children show up at their parents house demanding that they clean the place up and then leave it at that? To begin with you are talking to your mother not your best friend. Pointing the finger of blame at Mom or Dad does nothing. You are not a professional and if you think that you can shame your parent into cleaning up their house guess again. Where is the sympathy? You parent beats themselves up more than you ever could. More than likely they are feeling overwhelmed by the same mess that you are. But they are hurting emotionally. Does it do any good to tslk crap to a parent that is already so depressed that they cannot take care of themselves? NO Do you remember what your bedroom looked like when you lived at home perhaps as a teen?Your parent needs someone to help them not to inflict more emotional pain. And by the way just how clean is your house? The hoarding is a sign a very big sign that Mom or Dad need help. Offer help and do not judge or criticize You never know if Mom or Dad is dealing with other medical problems..

Replied By: tiger2338 on Aug 24, 2014, 5:24AM
Hoarding is a form of OCD. The kids need to understand that their mother has emotional issues that need to be dealt with. She doesn't need their condemnation.

Replied By: lizawren on Jun 4, 2014, 10:38AM - In reply to amberkay1244
I cannot know what those kids' experience was. I could understand exasperation, frustration, or even anger, but I didn't see much of that. What I did see was snickering, eye-rolling, and a total lack of empathy.

Replied By: txwife01 on May 22, 2014, 11:54PM
I loved seeing that book in her bag! If she wants to keep it (haha) you can get replacement mouses from an Usborne consultant! Seriously - I wish her luck. She has some great ideas for her 'collections' but needs to be a little more discriminating.

Replied By: babooshka2002 on May 22, 2014, 9:40AM
6 minutes in so far so can't comment on the content yet, but I can only assume either they've got a newbie apprentice in operating the cameras or maybe one of Dr Phill's former over-medicated guests? Because, oh dear.

Replied By: amberkay1244 on May 19, 2014, 3:39PM - In reply to imperatrice
This is GREAT!!

Showing 1-10 of total 126 Comments