Twitter Facebook YouTube

2014 Shows

In an exclusive interview, Dr. Phil sits down with the mother and sister of alleged “Craigslist killer” Miranda Barbour, who claims she has killed more than 22 people across the country since age 13. In November 2013, Miranda and her husband, Elyette, allegedly strangled and stabbed to death a man police say they lured through a Craigslist “companionship” ad. The story made national headlines, with the newlyweds being dubbed the “thrill kill” couple -- but it didn’t end there. In February, Miranda dropped a bombshell in a jailhouse interview, claiming she was part of a satanic cult and had killed so many people she lost count. Does her family believe she is a serial killer? Miranda’s mother, Elizabeth, says her daughter was a troubled child and teen, but insists she did everything she could to get her on the right track. Miranda’s sister, Ashley, tells a different story -- who does she blame for Miranda’s problems? And, what does a letter Miranda wrote to Dr. Phil in 2012 reveal? Dr. Phil digs deep in search of answers. What, if anything, in Miranda’s past could have predicted her troubled future? Plus, how can the family begin to move forward and heal?

Find out what happened on the show.
Comments
Replied By: auntiedrea on May 20, 2014, 10:27PM
The Christmas pictures anyway ....  I don't know what this has to do with anything but the dad worked and was gone for weeks at a time for work and school leaving Elizabeth alone as sole parent..  These girls were loved and doted on from the day they were born yes unforeseen bad things happened to them - horrific things but Miranda CHOSE to do this terrible thing.  Elizabeth and dad (who is now hiding out with his new family) did the best they could with the teen rebellion, they followed the doctors reccomendations and loved their daughters.  To say the parents are responsible for these crimes is unfair and ignorant.

Replied By: cquick50 on May 15, 2014, 5:41PM - In reply to loyalalways
He was there the whole time.

Replied By: cquick50 on May 15, 2014, 5:39PM - In reply to heart1759
TOO BAD DAD wasn't there too tell his side of the story. He was there the whole time raising those girls!  But yet the mother got bad mouthed by Ashley.  You can only believe half of what was told. Trust me there is more to the story

Replied By: tiffabug on May 3, 2014, 2:47AM - In reply to pearsonsj
You can't be serious that you think the majority of people saw Ashley as anything other than manipulative and disgusting on this show. Yes she's been through a lot but to blame her mother so angrily that she and her sister were molested because her mom didn't give her the touching talk soon enough?! As if Ashley being molested is her mom's fault. When her mom found out she protected those girls to the fullest extent of the law. The mom definitely has issues but this Ashley person completely shows her ugly, nasty attitude and comes off as the much worse one on this show. It's that monster of an uncle and the absent father who should have been there for them growing up that she should be mad at.

Replied By: stargazer225 on May 1, 2014, 4:46PM
A serial killer doesn't have a conscience.  Not much parenting can do about that.

Replied By: upsydasy on Apr 30, 2014, 12:05PM - In reply to christinmoffit
Oh I so agree with every word you wrote.  Again, well said - Bravo!

Replied By: heart1759 on Apr 30, 2014, 11:55AM - In reply to loyalalways
I will agree these woman all need help and are all suffering. The idea of where is this father should send a huge message about these children. The mother being depressed does make her human, but drinking and using pills to cope does not make her a capable mother. I dont see anyone mentioning that these girls didnt have a chance in hell being raised by a single parent under that influence. The whole situation is unfortunate. The attitude and behaviour of Ashley is being torn apart, but does she really know any different? We witnessed her mothers lack of parenting skills in a short hour imagine being raised by that for 20 years. I dont ask why Ashely had some questionable attuitudes I ask how could she possibley not being raised by a single tuned-out mother.

Replied By: loyalalways on Apr 30, 2014, 10:32AM - In reply to jennysgram
I agree with you 100%. I've said the same thing many times watching this show. Dr. Phil and kids always throw the mother under the bus. Mind you,on this show, Dr. Phil was pretty good with this mother.

WHAT ABOUT THE FATHER??? Where is HE? The mother didn't run away. So she was depressed and drank.... So whatg? She's human!! She needed help, too. It's not easy raising teens by  yourself. Also, it's very difficult to get divorced. 

Ashley keeps making excuses for Miranda. Excuse me, but Miranda is old enough to know the diffrerence berween right and wrong. Lots of people get molested or raped, but they don't go around murdering people. There is NO excuse for murder. However, I do believe that people who commit heinous crimes are not in their right mind. But, that's not the fault of the mother.

Ashley didn't go to the show for help dealing with her sister. She went on the show to throw her mother under the bus and make herself look like this poor abused girl. She should be asking, "where is my father in all of this?" I'm really tired of mom always being put down and dad isn't even mentioned. It's obvious this mother is going through depression. Being torn apart by her daughters just makes things worse. Just pointing fingers does nothing. You need to work together.                         

People need to start asking, "WHERE IS THE DAD?"

Replied By: KateBauer on Apr 29, 2014, 4:53PM
I never saw anyone that was so disconnected from her children.  I hope you and your daughter get help.  It is too late for Miranda.

Replied By: den85730 on Apr 29, 2014, 2:31PM - In reply to suzywriter
I agree.  Nobody to blame but Ashly.  I think she's  SMI in a big way.  It just happened to Ashly who is very troubles and has nobody to blame but herself.

Showing 1-10 of total 58 Comments