Twitter Facebook YouTube

2014 Shows

Unable to have children of her own and desperate to become a mother, Monica says last August, she and her husband, Max, placed an online adoption ad on Craigslist and were elated when a woman named Danette asked them to adopt her unborn baby girl. Monica says she and Max spent as much as $40,000 preparing for the baby and even moved to a bigger house so they would have enough room for their family -- all the while, receiving pregnancy updates from Danette. Monica says she was shocked, yet excited, to learn that -- upon a surprise delivery -- Danette had given birth to twins, a boy and a girl. The couple says Danette has since sent them photos of the babies, whom they’ve named Mason and Mikayla, and promised they’ll get to bring them home soon -- but they have yet to meet the children they already consider their own. Where are the babies? Monica’s best friend, Wendy, says Danette’s behavior has been suspicious all along -- and she fears the couple is being duped. Emotions run high when Danette faces Monica, Max and Wendy on Dr. Phil’s stage. Is this an adoption scam? (OAD: 4-25-14)

Find out what happened on the show.
Comments
Replied By: fer258 on Aug 23, 2014, 10:48AM - In reply to alwaysaskeptic
The show did seem rehearsed.  The husband's reaction was so off.  I find it very hard to believe, only ONE friend could see this was a scam, after all those months and spending all that money.  "Mom" spent a week with Danette.  Danette is a bit "off".  So many red flags.  I do not feel sorry for this couple, and I don't think there is enough common sense between the two of them to be parents.  

The shock and pain of this couple, well, I had a friend murdered from a Craig's List ad.  This lady is so materialistic, buying all that crap a baby would grow out of in a year's time.  They created their own misery.  Not a lick of sense between them.  I suspect there is a reason a reputable adoption process wasn't working for them in the first place.  Harsh, yes.  But adults need to be prudent in protecting themselves from any scams.  Blame  the victims?  Yep.  "Lead us not into Temptation" can be applied to many situations.  Putting an ad on Craig's List for a baby?   They were a magnet for a scammer.  I believe if they did not hook up with Danette, we would be having this exchange, about this couple and a different scammer.  

Replied By: deblynch2 on Aug 22, 2014, 3:16PM
wow Dr. Phil yeah adoption is all about the money. i am an adoptee who wished i could have stayed with my natural mother. it's not all about money. Dr. Phil needs to stay away from the adoption topic, he doesn't know the damage that ripping a child away from it's natural mother causes, the pain the natural mother experiences later. no, it really isn't in the best interest of the baby to be placed with another family... i am sure this comment will be removed from the Dr. Phil staff. You aggravated all involved with the adoption process Dr. Phil. you need to do more research on this topic. there are alot of injured parties due to adoption. mothers need to keep their babies.

Replied By: concerneddg1 on Aug 22, 2014, 2:05PM
That woman should be charged with fraud.

In jail she will understand the meaning of having a friend !!!

Replied By: will2568 on Aug 21, 2014, 7:58PM
Anyone who thinks Craig's List is an appropriate place to adopt a baby isn't fit to be a parent. Max and Monica are lucky they were only emotionally defrauded. They should just go back to Craig's List and sell all the baby stuff they wasted their money on.

Replied By: michele32119 on Aug 21, 2014, 7:41PM
I hope and pray that Monica and Max use all the energy they have put into preparing for these babies to have her arrested for fraud.!!!!!!

Replied By: alwaysaskeptic on Aug 21, 2014, 11:43AM
If Danette wanted a friend she could go to Craigslist personals and check the "platonic" listings. As delusional as this couple was, they didn't deserve to be put through what that hillbilly Danette put them through.

Replied By: alwaysaskeptic on Aug 21, 2014, 11:39AM
After watching the show a second time, a few red flags went up about this couple. Monica says she placed an ad on Craigslist after seeing an ad for adoption. She said "why haven't I tried that before?". Even though Dr. Phil asked the question, the couple gave no history of their efforts to adopt through a legitimate process. As presented, it would seem that the light bulb went off in Monica's head when she saw that other ad and she saw a shortcut to fulfilling her motherhood fantasy.

Why this couple blinded themselves to a very obvious scam is beyond me. Wanting a family is great but just as with the catfish romance scams, does this mean you turn your brain off? The rapist did it because he wanted to be a father? Because he supposedly was suing for custody, the babies were taken from Danette and placed in foster care? Does any of this make any sense? The babies' weights were like night and day, but the fake picture showed babies or dolls of about the same size. If this was legitimate, shouldn't there have been tons of pictures taken? Being focused on becoming parents is one thing, being deaf to screaming alarm bells is another.

As for the show itself, I'd guess that the couple knew the truth before the show was taped. Their reactions were pretty muted considering the supposedly "live" revelation of the lies and the con. Max got a little angry at times and Monica sat there and dabbed her eyes. I would have ripped Danette into little pieces. I think the show was a bit fake in that respect.

Replied By: alwaysaskeptic on Aug 21, 2014, 11:22AM
I watched the episode again yesterday, having seen it previously. Everyone is going on about how mentally ill Danette is but I don't think she is that off-kilter, despite the cruelty she exacted upon this couple. Danette is just another poor-me, self-centred dullard. She's angry with the couple for "bringing it this far"? It was Danette who kept the con going and I don't know of any Dr. Phil guest who was forced at gunpoint to be on the show. Danette craves attention and she sure got it. It was only because it was negative attention that she was squirming. She didn't like being blamed for anything, called names or being held accountable. One of the few times she actually offered a glimmer of emotion was when Dr. Phil asked if she had done this before. She got this shocked, guilty look on her face and her eyes went wide. Of course she denied it but there's not much she said that wasn't a lie. She loved the attention she got when pregnant as a teen and she waited until she was in her 30's to get that attention again? I don't believe a word she says. Witness her convoluted string of lies about "her picture" of the Asian baby. Given the depth of her scam and her weak "I tried to stop it" excuses, it's my guess that she has pulled this crap multiple times. She's not so much off her rocker than she is just a narcissistic, pathetic POS. I don't know if any crimes were actually committed, or charges that any DA would proceed with, but Danette certainly deserves to be locked up.

Replied By: alwaysaskeptic on Aug 21, 2014, 11:04AM
I made several posts yesterday based on seeing the episode previously and was also replying to other posts. I said that it was Danette who placed the Craigslist ad when it was actually Monica.

Replied By: stacyd23 on Aug 21, 2014, 9:02AM
Dr Phil,  God bless you for helping this couple in the adoption process.  I was crying because I felt so bad for them.  I almost tried to contact your show to have a baby for them until I saw that you were going to help them.  God bless..

Showing 1-10 of total 259 Comments