Twitter Facebook YouTube

2014 Shows

Scottsdale restaurant owners Amy and Sammy became instantly infamous last May, after they say they were depicted as villains on the reality TV show Kitchen Nightmares. The couple was seen berating staff, customers and even host Gordon Ramsey, who ultimately threw his hands up in the air and walked out. But Amy and Sammy claim all the drama was manufactured for television and insist that their character was misrepresented. They say that since their episode aired, they’ve been threatened and bullied by bloggers and reviewers online -- and as a result, both their business and their marriage have suffered. Dr. Phil has some tough questions for the couple about their actions on the reality show -- was it smoke and mirrors for TV or just bad behavior? Then, Amy and Sammy come face to face with one of their cyber-reviewers, Michael, who says that the couple needs to stop picking fights with their critics and start taking ownership in the situation. How do they respond? Plus, Dr. Phil calls on public relations expert Howard Bragman to give Sammy and Amy advice for changing their image -- and getting their business back on track. What does he say they must do? And, will they be open to it?

Find out what happened on the show.
Comments
Replied By: katerine on Nov 24, 2014, 8:43PM
This is extremely belated, but I just returned to this board after a very long hiatus, and am catching up on old episodes.

After watching this episode, I went and watched both KN episodes. And I honestly feel sorry for Amy. Sami, not so much, but Amy...

First of all, I'm a little surprised that DP didn't talk to her more about her overall anxiety level, which is extremely high. And it's not because of the trolls. The trolls certainly didn't help, but Amy's anxiety was high long before that. According to the first KN episode, they'd gotten a bad review about a year before the episode was even shot, and reacted badly to it. Throughout the first KN episode, Amy was clearly very high-strung. She couldn't hear criticism, because her self-esteem is too low and she can't handle it. So she became enveloped in a world where everything is just perfect, except that everybody's out to get her.

In a way, I can relate. I know what it's like to feel like the world is completely falling apart.

They did make several mistakes along the line. I can forgive the yelling and screaming and attacking, because those are all signs of anxiety. But Amy and Sami really should have been self-aware enough to know that, if her world falls apart after one negative review on Yelp, then going on national TV on a show that's famous for GR being extremely critical and the show highlighting everything that's bad, is not going to be a good idea.

And, as restaurant owners, they really should familiarize themselves with the Fair Labor Standards Act, as regards to tips. They WERE, in fact, stealing their servers' tips. And, although according to the KN recap, they say, "now we give them the tips," their wording still indicates that they're missing the point (the point being, THEY do not give the servers their tips. The CUSTOMERS give the servers their tips, which belong to the servers, by law). There is a document on the Department of Labor's website, that explains it all, in plain English, and it explicitely states that even if the servers are paid a high wage, it is still expressely prohibited to have any kind of arrangement where any part of the tips become the property of the employer.

But anyway, I do wish that DP had spent more time on the overall psychological problem of Amy's long-standing anxiety making her and Sami overreact to everything. Not that they weren't actually getting threats (you should see the kinds of things that are being posted to their FB page, even now! I even reported one particularly egregious post, and was absolutely shocked when I got a reply stating that they'd reviewed it, and found it to not violate their terms of service. Umm... HOW?) But I honestly don't understand how people can exist in this day and age, and not know what trolls are, and the appropriate way to deal with them.

I did think that the guy that they had on gave really good advice, and I tried giving advice as well (although it seems they did take DP's advice, and unplugged... unfortunately without first fixing their FB page so that the first thing people see when they go there isn't, "You people are all ****. Yelp ****, Reddits ****. Every ****. Come to here, I will ******* show you all." Assuming they can fix their FB page. It's possible that they lost control of it long ago, due to hacking. I can think of no other logical explanation for the restaurant being listed under, "pet supplies.")

I still think they should go into catering. Restaurant life is clearly too stressful. As GR tried to tell them, "you have to have a thick skin in this business."

(btw, regarding GR not appearing on the show... not sure why, but I do know that DP airs on ABC, and KN, as well as everything else in the US that features Gordon Ramsay, airs on FOX.)

Replied By: strine on Sep 15, 2014, 12:05AM
When Amy said that other people in their town contacted the Dr Phil show to see if he could help them because "they stood up" to the yelp guy and started complimenting herself and her husband through the eyes of these alleged other people, I knew she was lying and that she and her husband had contacted the show using other names.

How would she and her husband know what people said in private messages to staff at this show? Why would they go overboard making her and her husband out to be the saints of food and all things good (especially when they openly swear at people in their town who say something needs to be cooked longer). They don't care if people in their town get food poisoning or anything else, they don't politely say "OK we'll cook it more for you I'm sorry" - they swear and yell. So why would anyone other than them, their family members or friends contact this show to help them? 

They contacted the show themselves clearly for the same reason they contacted Gordon Ramsey's show for the attention. Men like Samy think any advertisement is good advertisement while women like his wife love the melodrama of being on TV.

They are both bullies despite her putting it all on her husband and his culture. Amy does her bullying by talking over people and then standing back like she did nothing wrong. She and her husband both agree that stealing money from serving staff is something they deserve to do, or it would not have continued to happen and she would not need to be lying about it happening on the Dr Phil show. She is enabling him and joining in when he needs another gang member to talk people down- then has the nerve to tell someone not to cry when they are emotional due to being ganged up on.

What a waste of time, there are better people who deserve help over attenion seeking lying bullies.

Replied By: hapynmyownskin on Aug 27, 2014, 8:48PM
I can not believe that these two people do not realise that they are fueling the fire to their own demise. Obviously when you act in a negative agressive manner you are going to come up against people who see this and will get extremely irate because they seem like they are just not listening to constructive criticism. They need to focus on the postives and perhaps think about owning their own bad behavior in order to move on and change their image around so that people are likely to want to dine with them once again.

Replied By: dana201415 on May 23, 2014, 12:39AM
Two psychos with a criminal past. They're like the Bonnie and Clyde of cooking.

Replied By: gussiemygirl on May 12, 2014, 3:59PM
When Amy says that people made those horrendous threats that she says she received online, I do not believe s  word of it. She says it because she thinks it will bring sympathetic people to her side of the controversy. But she is so ridiculously transparent that it's laughable. She's ridiculous !

If a customer gives a tip that he or she intends to go to the server, and the owner of the restaurant keeps that money, he is commiting fraud and it is really shameful behavior. He is not a good man.

They are not nice people. 

Replied By: looopy on Apr 15, 2014, 6:41PM - In reply to mommatoad
There is no way to stop "trolls"--people who say the nastiest, meanest, most hurtful things they can think of under the cloak of anonymity, things they'd NEVER say face-to-face. The reason they do it is to eliit a response. When they get a crazy response from someone like Amy, they've won. If she'd stop the constant monitoring and responding to comments, they'd get bored and go somewhere else. BTW, not all the comments are threatening or insulting. Some of them are simply critical of their food, professionalism or behavior, which is what Yelp is for... reviewing restaurants. 

The Internet IS anonymous, and because nine times out of ten you will never catch the perpetrator of the hate, you must simply ignore it. If you talk to young people, they'll tell you that trolls are to be expected on any discussion forum. But if you respond, they get what they want. DON'T FEED THE TROLLS. 

Replied By: looopy on Apr 15, 2014, 6:15PM - In reply to moonshugar
REALLY? Geez. So she's not just lying to herself, she's lying to everyone. When/where was this proved?

Replied By: spizzakid on Apr 14, 2014, 2:01PM
I have always liked Dr. Phil.  I was disappointed this time.  He had his good points which I agree with but there are a couple of things I think he should have done different.  Dr. Phil, in all fairness you should of had Gordon Ramsey on your show with Amy's Baking Company at the same time.  With being a past owner of a restaurant I was able to see things that other people might not see.  First of the the customer is always right even tho you know they are wrong.  The other thing I don't agree with is you endorsed this restauarnant without even going there and tasting their food but yet you put camera's in their restaurant  and saw what goes on and you still endorsed it on the word of your staff.  You have a great staff but people's palates for food are all different.  My husband and I live in a rural area and in our opinion the food here sucks at the restaurants and the service is bad.  We made the choice to live here so that's our problem and we deal with it.  End result we might go out to eat once or twice a year and yep we get disappointed every time.  I cook 99.9% of our meals at home.  People look at us weird when we are asked if we want a BBQ Bologna sandwich and we tell them we don't eat that stuff.  Like I said we made our choice and we are dealing with it.

So, since Kitchen Knightmares had a reunion I think you should have them on the show again but this time with Gordon Ramsey.

Replied By: katskradle on Apr 14, 2014, 11:24AM - In reply to roseredm
They were back on Kitchen Nightmares last Friday the 11th for a follow up interview and Samy said he doesn't give servers their tips because he pays them well enough, between $8-$14 an hour (whether I believe that is another story). That's still no excuse though. A tip is given as a little extra thank you for a job well done. It should have nothing whatsoever to do with the server's regular wage.

Replied By: lisazon on Apr 14, 2014, 3:53AM - In reply to cinheart
These two should know they are not going to win an argument with Dr.Phil.

Showing 1-10 of total 170 Comments